Community Member

Default weapons, incidence in magic damange

I know that the damange done by a spell is calculated by: base damange*spell power/100 + base damange. But how about weapon rolls?

I want to know, which is the incidence of the rolls (of the weapon equiped) in magic damange.

For example, the weapon have 1d8+4... that roll will be added to the magic damange?... Just the "+4"?... or nothing?

If i'm not proficient with that weapon, will i suffer a -4 (or -25% now it is... no? in that case, 25% of what?) from my magic damange? or doesn't care?

And with two weapon penalty?

Explaining in other words the last... attack penalty by non-proficiency and two weapons are just for physical damange?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Hiei091; 02-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Not sure exactly what you are asking, but here's some explanations:

Let's say that I'm using an 'epic' +5 Holy Burst long sword.

So my damage would look like 2 [1d8] + 5 ([19-20] x 2) (Slash, Magic, Good) (+Holy burst damage)

---------------

1st, what does the 2 [1d8] mean?

The [1d8] is your 'base weapon damage'. The dX notation means a die with that many sides, numbered one to X. So d6 means a die with six sides, d8 means a die with eight sides, etc.
    If you see [W] in certain descriptions, this means the base weapon damage. For example, the [W] of your longsword is [d8], while the [W] of a great sword is [2d6]

The '2' is a multiplier you get on the base weapon damage.

So, when you hit things, you'd normally get 2-16 damage from this (two eight sided dice rolled and the results added together).

Now, let's say you had the spell 'deadly weapons' cast on you. This spell increases your damage by 1[W]

So, for example, 'deadly weapons increases your damage by 1[W], so you'd get another d8 damage.

--------------------

Next the +5
    This is the 'bonus' damage you get from things like the base weapon enhancement, your strength score, power attack, various set bonuses, various feat, enhancements, class features, etc.

So, let's say we are a favored soul with a strength of 30.

This means the bonus damage we get from strength is +10.

We'll also say we have the 'Beloved of the Sovereign Host' favored soul class feature. This gives us another 2 bonus damage with longswords.

So, if you pressed 'I' and looked on your character sheet, you should see something like:

3-24 + 17 damage, assuming you were using deadly weapons.

You get 3[d8] (3 to 24) damage from an epic longsword with deadly weapons.

You get +5 from the base sword enhancement, +10 from strength, and +2 from 'Beloved of the Sovereign Host' for a total of +17.

--------------------

Next, extra damage from holy burst.

Everytime you hit an evil enemy, you'd get 2d6 (2 to 12) bonus damage from holy burst. In addition, every time you got a critical hit, you'd do an additional 3d6 (3 to 18) damage.

-------------------

Critical hits.

Only [W] and fixed damage are modified by critical hits. The 'bonus' damage you get from things like holy burst stays the same.

So, if you got a critical hit, you'd do 6[d8] + 34 damage + (2d6 + 3d6 from holy burst).

--------------------

Damage reduction.

Now, let's say you are hitting a skeleton. It has damage reduction 1o/bludgeon. This means that when you hit the skeleton, you you are not using a blunt weapon, the damage you do is reduced by 10.

So, when you hit the skeleton, you'd expect to do 2-16 + 7 (+ holy burst) damage.

---------------------------------

The non-proficient penalty effects your hit rate, but doesn't effect your damage.

The two weapon penalty also only effects your hit rate.

But note that you normally only get half of your strength bonus damage for your off hand weapon.

So, using our example from above, if you were using an identical long sword (also effected by deadly weapons) you'd do 3-24 + 12 (+ holy burst) damage.
    Last edited by Jingwei; 02-22-2013 at 04:07 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiei091 View Post
    I know that the damange done by a spell is calculated by: base damange*spell power/100 + base damange. But how about weapon rolls?

I want to know, which is the incidence of the rolls (of the weapon equiped) in magic damange.

For example, the weapon have 1d8+4... that roll will be added to the magic damange?... Just the "+4"?... or nothing?

If i'm not proficient with that weapon, will i suffer a -4 (or -25% now it is... no? in that case, 25% of what?) from my magic damange? or doesn't care?

And with two weapon penalty?

Explaining in other words the last... attack penalty by non-proficiency and two weapons are just for physical damange?

Thanks!
    Attack bonuses and penalties only effect one's chance to hit with a weapon. Damage is calculated separately. Your weapon does 1-8 damage, +4 magic damage and can get additional damage bonuses (or penalties) from other things like strength (or other stats from certain weapons/abilities), feats, enhancements, gear or conditions (such as helpless targets).

Proficiency, will not effect damage, except in not granting grazing hits on misses that aren't "1's".

Community Member

Thx to you, both of you, but... i knew all what are u saying :/

I was asking about SPELL damange. If the dice damange of the weapon have any incidence in a spell that i'm casting.

For example: i have equiped a weapon which dices are "1d8+3" and i cast fireball, so, the weapon deals any damange in adition to fireball?. The weapon obviously will give a bonus if it has any stat like "+36 fire spell power", but i'm asking about the BASE WEAPON DICE rolls.

And if i have two weapons, or i'm not proficient with the weapon... this will give a penalty to mi spells?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiei091 View Post
    Thx to you, both of you, but... i knew all what are u saying :/

I was asking about SPELL damange. If the dice damange of the weapon have any incidence in a spell that i'm casting.

For example: i have equiped a weapon which dices are "1d8+3" and i cast fireball, so, the weapon deals any damange in adition to fireball?. The weapon obviously will give a bonus if it has any stat like "+36 fire spell power", but i'm asking about the BASE WEAPON DICE rolls.

And if i have two weapons, or i'm not proficient with the weapon... this will give a penalty to mi spells?
    The weapon's base damage (BASE WEAPON DICE) and your proficiency with it have nothing to do with your spells.

Now, if you're a caster that likes to mix it up in melee...
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Only spell power effects the effectiveness of your spells.
    Well...and lore...and several other things that show up on weapons like metamagic discounts and such.
    But the actual dmg parts of weapons only work if you use them(hit or shoot stuff).

Weapons with any form of spell power on them also give a universal spell power bonus equal to 3x their enhancement bonus.

Community Member

thanks guys!

(sorry if it's difficult to understand what i'm trying to say guys, english isn't my main laguage :T )
    Last edited by Hiei091; 02-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.