Community Member

Default How do I consolidate my platinum?

I have 3 main toons now, but I want to buy one expensive item on the AH. I tried to use the shared bank, but it says I cannot deposit that much (300k in this example). How do I make it so I can buy this item?

Thanks.

You have a few choices: 1) buy the space to make bigger deposits, 2) dump x amount in the bank, log second character, withdraw, repeat until you have enough. 3) mail the money to the toon who is purchasing via multiple mails, or 4) find someone you trust to hold the amount, log on and trade it back.
    Still here.... Deal with it.

I don't have an attitude problem, you just can't stand that I'm adorable.

The plat limit per character is 4.3 million (roughly) - depending upon if F2P / premium / VIP status.

The shared bank can hold 2.5 million (if fully upgraded).

The AH has a maximum price of 2.4 million (roughly).

So --- if you want to buy something really expensive - and have the plat spread amongst several characters - you either have to mail it or use the shared bank account.

Since you have a shared bank account but is limited to 300K - it just will take a few logins to transfer the funds. Certainly better than mailing it 10K at a time (and cheaper than a kobold banker).

Now someone might suggest having a friend hold it for you - but transferring large quantity of plat might possibly be construed as against the EULA (selling plat for real money) - but it is still a possibility - the real question then is do you have a in game friend who you trust to give you your plat back?

Really there are like 3 options; spend TP to upgrade your shared bank coin amount, make multiple deposit-collect passes between your toons transferring what you can each time in the shared bank you have, find someone you trust to hold the money for you on a toon to do the transfer.
    This space intentionally left mostly blank.

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    Now someone might suggest having a friend hold it for you - but transferring large quantity of plat might possibly be construed as against the EULA (selling plat for real money) - but it is still a possibility
    I doubt 300K will raise any eyebrows. Much larger trades occur regularly.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

The best option in my mind was to upgrade my plat storage in the shared bank to the max 2.5m plat. It's just easy that way. I always keep at least 2mil in the account in case any of my characters run short, and then leave the bulk of the plat on a couple near max plat characters.

Now someone might suggest having a friend hold it for you - but transferring large quantity of plat might possibly be construed as against the EULA (selling plat for real money)
    No, it won't be a violatation or perceived violation. If they check the logs enough to see the transfer they would also see it looked like this:

Acct A, Char A trades 300K to Acct B, Char B
    two minutes later
    Acct B, Char B trades 300K to Acct A, Char C

It's exceptionally clear what happened. This type of trade happens on a regular basis, especially among those with multiple accounts, or in stable guilds where people trust each other.

The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    It's exceptionally clear what happened. This type of trade happens on a regular basis, especially among those with multiple accounts, or in stable guilds where people trust each other.
    Indeed. I've transferred plat between characters for guildies many times, never yet had any problems with "the law".
    It's definitely an N-word.

I've helped a handful of people move plat from one character to another over the years and have never been warned or anything else. They weren't even guildmates, so if anything THOSE transfers shoulda looked suspicious.

Put it all in a large pile and jump in there Scrooge McDuck style.

Now someone might suggest having a friend hold it for you - but transferring large quantity of plat might possibly be construed as against the EULA (selling plat for real money) - but it is still a possibility - the real question then is do you have a in game friend who you trust to give you your plat back?
    I do this all the time, since I don't have the shared plat bank. Never had a problem. Just make sure it's someone you trust completely, as there is no recourse for you if that person doesn't give it back.

The first couple of plat vault upgrades are quite cheap - 95 TP to get 100k storage from 50K base, then another 195 to get 250k storage. Might be worthwhile, since you're likely to want more stuff in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    I do this all the time, since I don't have the shared plat bank. Never had a problem. Just make sure it's someone you trust completely, as there is no recourse for you if that person doesn't give it back.

The first couple of plat vault upgrades are quite cheap - 95 TP to get 100k storage from 50K base, then another 195 to get 250k storage. Might be worthwhile, since you're likely to want more stuff in the future.
    I really hope that everyone has at least one player they trust this much.

just make sure the character you are asking to do this with isn't a halfling! jk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EddieB_TBC View Post
    Really there are like 3 options; spend TP to upgrade your shared bank coin amount, make multiple deposit-collect passes between your toons transferring what you can each time in the shared bank you have, find someone you trust to hold the money for you on a toon to do the transfer.
    Well a 4th option would be to 2 box a second account and act as your own friend. But that's requires quite a bit of set up.

Personally, I just mail it as It costs me a whopping 1pp in postage/999,900 pp transferred (if I don't bother with gold, silver and copper). But I rarely move more than 20k at a time anyway (new character, 8k for a collectable bag and 10k for 5th inventory slot at 150 Coinlord favor, rest for whatever).
    Last edited by Gremmlynn; 02-22-2013 at 05:39 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    Well a 4th option would be to 2 box a second account and act as your own friend. But that's requires quite a bit of set up.

Personally, I just mail it as It costs me a whopping 1pp in postage/999,900 pp transferred (if I don't bother with gold, silver and copper). But I rarely move more than 20k at a time anyway (new character, 8k for a collectable bag and 10k for 5th inventory slot at 150 Coinlord favor, rest for whatever).
    I'm pretty sure that mailed plat is limited to 9999 plat. Am I right about this?

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I'm pretty sure that mailed plat is limited to 9999 plat. Am I right about this?
    You are right the Plat box only allows 9999. However, throw 10 into the gold box and the recipient will receive 10,000 Plat

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    That would be 100 ingame mails since you can only mail 10,000 PP at a time.

That's what trusted guild mates are for.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    I think I'd rather get a pony than any of those raid weapons.