Default Best "everyday" crafted weapon

As a crafter, i always wondered what would be a good generic weapon to craft

As i am a TWF, i usually use in left hand a bodyfeeder weapon of lesser vampirism that is good for self-healing

But for the right hand, i am wondering what would be good for everyday fight (i have already special crafted weapons for ooze/undead/construct and some specific for giants, dwarves,...)

Here are my ideas
    - prefix : Holy or Acid (or the burst version)
    - suffix : bleed, pure good,righteous ?

Any suggestion ?
    Same question for a bow

Also, what is best to have on a generic weapon : some metal property (silver, admantine, flametouch, coldiron), a guild slot or an augment slot ?

To be honest, cannith crafting doesn't make very good general-purpose weapons. It makes very good specialized weapons, particular dr-breaking banes, but for general purpose you're better off using lootgen or named weapons.

If you use khopeshes, it's hard to beat the ML12 water khopeshes, especially if you masterful them down to ML10.

If you really want a cannith-crafted weapon, I suppose I'd consider the following:

Prefix
    Screaming
    Vicious
    Holy
    Wounding

Suffix
    Bleed
    Pure Good

Thanks for the info

No kopesh (at least for this life), so no kopesh of water
    Is the rapier of air any good ?
    The bow of earth seems ok

About the craftable part (+3). You can add anything : a prefix like holy even if the weapon has already a prefix (like acid) ? And the ML-2 shard take how many space of the +3 ?

I know that named items or lootgen are often better, but this is my first life and didn't have lot of luck with chests.
    And with crafting, you can make a good weapon for the level you want it (this is for my next life)

2016 DDO Players Council UurlockYgmeov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enguebert View Post

As i am a TWF, i usually use in left hand a bodyfeeder weapon of lesser vampirism that is good for self-healing

But for the right hand, i am wondering what would be good for everyday fight (i have already special crafted weapons for ooze/undead/construct and some specific for giants, dwarves,...)

Here are my ideas

Any suggestion ?
    Same question for a bow

Also, what is best to have on a generic weapon : some metal property (silver, admantine, flametouch, coldiron), a guild slot or an augment slot ?

my favorite twink is my acid burst heavy repeater of puncturing of MCI (ml:5) --- it decimates all they way through sands and beyond.

for a TWF - I would suggest

off: seeker FtI of melee alacrity (or seeker of sneak attack bonus - since affects both hands)

main: acid burst FtI (Or Blessed Iron from store) of puncturing (if pierce else pure good) -- slowburst is also nice.

also might want to look again at cursespewing because it now is a DOT effect.

Community Member

I made a holy/pure-good starter weapon for a classic rocker bard and he rocks with it. Later upgraded it to flaming-burst/pure-good but starting to look foward to a ready made greensteel sword from a past life.
    Last edited by F1restarter; 02-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.

About the craftable part (+3). You can add anything : a prefix like holy even if the weapon has already a prefix (like acid) ?
    The effects on the weapon itself are ignored; you get to put 1 prefix and 1 suffix on that +3 craftable part. Some examples: Screaming of Pure Good, Holy of Bleed.

Note that doing so raises the ML by (craftable*2), so adding Holy of Bleed to an ML12 challenge weapon makes it ML18.

And the ML-2 shard take how many space of the +3 ?
    None! In the above example, the ML12 + Holy of Bleed = ML18 weapon becomes ML16 if you then apply masterful.

The best "bang for your buck" in challenge weapons are (IMO) the ML12 versions with masteful applied to make them ML10, then add in crafted damage shards to grow them up to ML16.

I know that named items or lootgen are often better, but this is my first life and didn't have lot of luck with chests.
    And with crafting, you can make a good weapon for the level you want it (this is for my next life)
    In that case, the best of the best twink gear for next life is risia'd lootgen and greensteel.

Because greensteel is so expensive, on my TWF khopesh ranger I start with risia lootgen, switch to ML12+masterful water khopeshes at 10, then a second set of ML12+masterful water khopeshes with frost and pure good at 16. Frost isn't a great choice there, but I like it for flavor.

No kopesh (at least for this life), so no kopesh of water
    Is the rapier of air any good ?
    Looking at it now, I'd say yes. The ML12 (10 w/masterful) gives you:

+4 Rapier
    Shocking Burst
    Screaming
    Roaring

Slap an extra Holy of Bleed on that for ML16 and you should be in good shape. It's missing the paralyzing uberness of the water khopeshes, but whaddya gonna do, right?

Well destruction is probably worthy of consideration.

Community Member

Here are my ideas

Any suggestion ?
    Same question for a bow

Well as others have said, the Cannith gear gives you the best "Cannith blanks" to craft with. For prefix/suffix, Holy of Pure Good is your best general bet against Evil creatures...Holy of Bleed does more damage, but a lot of evil creatures (Undead esp.) are immune to Bleed. For neutrals, barring Banes of course, Icy Burst of Bleed is probably your go-to. Most Neutrals (animals, elementals, living constructs) are Bleed-able...though Wiki now says U17 made Elementals immune to Bleed..? And Fire creatures such as Fire Elementals are weak to Cold, though other Elementals dont have opposite vulnerabilities, giving Cold the edge I think.

You might want to think about having dual Bodyfeeder of Vampirism scimitars/rapiers for when battles of attrition are preferable to DPS races. Along the same logic, a pair of Weakening Scimitars of Enfeebling can really soften up a target with TWF hitting so fast and a 30% crit threat range. Or Wounding Rapier of Puncturing, if you prefer to go after Con.

Same logic for a DPS Bow, though if you're only using it to pull and then switching to melee, you might think about something like a Roaring of Improved Destruction....the debuffs might help you in melee more than the extra couple proc of elemental damage. Or Wounding of Puncturing, with Manyshot, same logic as above.

I'd say Augments are definitely the property to look for now, considering a Red Augment can be used to add a Metal property anyway.
    Last edited by droid327; 02-28-2013 at 11:54 PM.

I personally love Screaming of Pure Good for use on the majority of trash!

Screaming of Bleeding is better for Fleshy mobs

Holy of Pure Good is better for Undead

Screaming of Everbright for Oozes and Rust Monsters {Mauls are best, Quarterstaves and Warhammers are good too}.

Cold Iron, Silver and Adamantine Weapons are great for crafting Specifics on....

Cold Iron/Silver Holy of Chaotic/Lawful Outsider Bane

Adamantine Anarchic of Construct Bane {Marut Beater}

BUT for generalised mayhem I love Screaming of Pure Good!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    BUT for generalised mayhem I love Screaming of Pure Good!
    Agreed. This is typically what I make my returning throwers, which generally aren't used except for hitting levers and the occasional airborne crystal.

For lower levels, Keen of Maiming is good for all trash.

With shards of masterful craftsmanship, you can make a +1 Keen of Maiming that is ML 3, a +2 version that is ML 5, and a +3 version that is ML 7.

Buy a flametouched item and craft it into +1 Flaming Burst of Lesser Undead Bane that is ML 5. Those are great for the ghostly skeletones in Delera's.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Guild: Guinness Knights

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

2016 DDO Players Council Stoner81's Avatar

I find Holy <name of weapon> of Bleeding works rather well, upgrade to Holy Burst eventually and then add +4 or +5 once you reach the upper levels.

Stoner81.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    For lower levels, Keen of Maiming is good for all trash.
    No, it is not. Maiming is a horrible sufix (any random +1 lesser bloodletting weapon is at least 2x better), and any 1d6 elemental beats Keen at low levels for general beating.

As a ML1, nothing at cannith crafting beats a screaming of bleed.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    No, it is not. Maiming is a horrible sufix (any random +1 lesser bloodletting weapon is at least 2x better), and any 1d6 elemental beats Keen at low levels for general beating.

As a ML1, nothing at cannith crafting beats a screaming of bleed.
    true and true. However once you get to ml:3 - and start with acid burst... then scream of bleed starts to loose its teeth.

ml:5 acid burst of puncturing is one of my favorites for a heavy repeater.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    I find Holy <name of weapon> of Bleeding works rather well, upgrade to Holy Burst eventually and then add +4 or +5 once you reach the upper levels.

Stoner81.
    Holy Burst consumes more "plus" than it is worth. If you have Holy on a weapon, upgrade all other features of the weapon before you consider replacing the Holy with Holy Burst.

A +5 Holy [whatever] will do more damage than a +3 Holy Burst [whatever] even when you don't count the extra damage that you get from the +2 To Hit.

Holy Burst is only appropriate when everything else on the weapon is already as good as it can possibly be and you're just trying to squeeze out that extra little bit of DPS on a specific boss beater (i.e. +5 Holy Burst [whatever] of Greater [blah] Bane)

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Well destruction is probably worthy of consideration.
    Additional note: Destruction is worth considering, but Improved Destruction is not worth considering unless Turbine fixed that recently and I didn't notice.

Improved Destruction on a lootgen weapon gives -8 AC to the target in the form of a -4 Destruction effect and a -4 Improved Destruction effect that both stack with each other. For Cannith crafted weapons, Improved Destruction only offers the -4 Improved Destruction effect and does not add the stacking -4 Destruction effect. This is a bug, but it's not a bug that we should expect to see fixed any time soon since Turbine appears to have put Cannith Crafting on a back burner.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Additional note: Destruction is worth considering, but Improved Destruction is not worth considering unless Turbine fixed that recently and I didn't notice.

Improved Destruction on a lootgen weapon gives -8 AC to the target in the form of a -4 Destruction effect and a -4 Improved Destruction effect that both stack with each other. For Cannith crafted weapons, Improved Destruction only offers the -4 Improved Destruction effect and does not add the stacking -4 Destruction effect. This is a bug, but it's not a bug that we should expect to see fixed any time soon since Turbine appears to have put Cannith Crafting on a back burner.
    what about cursespewing and improved cursespewing? Both now DOT's

Quote Originally Posted by UurlockYgmeov View Post
    what about cursespewing and improved cursespewing? Both now DOT's
    I haven't looked at either of them recently because I don't care about an enemy's saving throws if I'm beating on it with a melee weapon. Melee + instakill don't synergise well, so I don't generally bother.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    I haven't looked at either of them recently because I don't care about an enemy's saving throws if I'm beating on it with a melee weapon. Melee + instakill don't synergise well, so I don't generally bother.
    but instakill doesn't kick in until much later - and aren't for cannith since they can't be crafted.

I carry disrupt/smit/manslayer/banish but still use a red slotted acid burst heavy repeater of puncturing on my main TR (for arty lives).

DOT's are nice - since they do damage over time (untyped I believe in this case) and make it easier to kill for all... might be something to consider.

At least for lower levels I'm a huge fan of screaming/bleed. Very good broad spectrum weapons.
    D.W.A.T: (Now with Non-Dwarf support)
    Founder of the (D.W.A.T) Elf Rebellion and Supporter of the H (alfling). I(ntel). T(eam).