Community Member

Default Catalysts For Augments Are Gone?

I had a yellow augment crystal of greater false life that I had intended to use for a particular item, but because I didn't have it, yet, I decided to wait and keep the crystal in my bag. After reading that any item obtained after U17 will not accept the old crystals, I decided to use my greater false life crystal in another item I had with a yellow augment slot. But when I went to get the catalyst from Lahar, he doesn't seem to be selling them, anymore. Does this mean my augment crystal is now effectively useless?

Community Member

Yes, unfortunately.

Community Member

Hi,

I bought a couple of spares before the update because I expected this to happen. It's alarming to see that suspicion might be confirmed.

Tolero's sneak peek at epic augments had a paragraph specifically dealing with legacy items. The idea seemed to be that if you had an old version of an epic item and an old crystal you would still be able to use them.

It might be worth trying to slot the item without the catalyst. Turbine may have anticipated this, and adjusted the recipes so you can use your old crystals without catalysts, or provided some other way to do it. Let's hope so.

But I suspect it has been overlooked, and if it has, someone who had the foresight to stockpile a lot of these catalsyts might be about to get very wealthy. Just to be clear, that isn't me.

It would be really sad if effort had been made to allow people to slot old crystals into old epic items, but then the catalysts for doing it became unavailable due to an oversight.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by blerkington; 02-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    Astrican on Khyber

Classic Turbine.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

I bought a couple of spares before the update because I expected this to happen. It's alarming to see that suspicion might be confirmed.

Tolero's sneak peek at epic augments had a paragraph specifically dealing with legacy items. The idea seemed to be that if you had an old version of an epic item and an old crystal you would still be able to use them.

It might be worth trying to slot the item without the catalyst. Turbine may have anticipated this, and adjusted the recipes so you can use your old crystals without catalysts, or provided some other way to do it. Let's hope so.

But I suspect it has been overlooked, and if it has, someone who had the foresight to stockpile a lot of these catalsyts might be about to get very wealthy. Just to be clear, that isn't me.

It would be really sad if effort had been made to allow people to slot old crystals into old epic items, but then the catalysts for doing it became unavailable due to an oversight.

Good luck with it.

I did try slotting the crystal without the catalyst, with no such luck. I wish I'd known that the changes would be this drastic. I'd have been more prepared for it, otherwise. ><

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeeper1981 View Post
    I did try slotting the crystal without the catalyst, with no such luck. I wish I'd known that the changes would be this drastic. I'd have been more prepared for it, otherwise. ><

So they want to kill off old epic legacy items then? Good job feather make everyone use your new **** stuff eh? I liked the old way of doing epic items personally, I like the fact that they allowed me to consolidate stats and effects into one item. Now I have to hunt down a augment crystal ( that I have no way to store in a bag) and use up pages of either bank slots, shared bank slots or inventory slots.

I like that I could plan out my runs for how many tokens I needed for a item (anyone remember the lfm "LoD run come get your free daily token =D) and I knew when I would have it complete. Now I am at the mercy of either A random drops in chests, B the AH, C Guild or trade channels, or D buy them in the store.

I really hope this is just a over site and not WAI and will be fixed. But I know how turbine fixes stuff. =o\

Slow Clap bravo turbine, bravo.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeeper1981 View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that.

It seems like an oversight to me because an intention was specifically stated in the post that we could slot legacy items. So more a problem of execution than anything else. Again.

Whether or not it will be fixed anytime soon is another matter though. I suspect that even if someone from Turbine becomes aware of this issue, the fix priority will be very low.

Prove me wrong, Turbine folk.

Thanks.
    Last edited by blerkington; 02-21-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    Astrican on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by 1Soulless1 View Post
    I like that I could plan out my runs for how many tokens I needed for a item (anyone remember the lfm "LoD run come get your free daily token =D) and I knew when I would have it complete. Now I am at the mercy of either A random drops in chests, B the AH, C Guild or trade channels, or D buy them in the store.
    You can still buy red and blue augments at the epic vendor in the twelve, but it only contains a small selection. Fortunately, heavy fort and good damage are part of them.

Quote Originally Posted by blerkington View Post
    Hi,

Good luck with it.
    I think this could've been found out on Lamannia, so people who concerns this should've done some more research.

You can still buy red and blue augments at the epic vendor in the twelve, but it only contains a small selection. Fortunately, heavy fort and good damage are part of them.
    But those are new augments that don't work on old slots. When I heard about the new augment system, I did a test for Lamma. I slotted GFL on a pair of tier3 cannith rock boots, then imported to Lamma, went to the Twelve, and bought an exceptional constitution diamond. It refused to slot itself into the colorless until I ran the boots through the stone of change ritual (which destroys the GFL).

They really should put the catalysts back. They're only a copper apiece, it's not like someone a year from now is going to go bankrupt on them because they aren't familiar with the old augment system.

For that matter, they should have Lahar sell the old augments themselves. That option would need to come with a great big blinking red neon warning sign to prevent confusion between old and new.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Default I could've done more research

because I'm in the same boat. I have some empty colorless slots that I was under the impression that I could still slot but not that doesn't appear to be the case.

Now I'm off to buy thousand-stacks of guild augments just in case Turbine reneges on their decision to let that legacy continue...
    Character Compendium