Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Wail bugged?

Circle is not as powerful as the old Wail, but it is almost as powerful as the pre-U17 Wail. Circle is a 6th level spell and Wail 9th level. IMHO, Wail is weak enough to be a 9th level spell (in my opinion needs a buff) But at least soon will work. Currently not kill anything, it is completely unreliable.

I hope they fix implosion, yes. Divines need more useful spells, not less. I also would like new spells for divines martially oriented. The spell compendium 3.5 has some spells that could help a lot to ddo divines. But ok, this is a thread about Wail, not about new spells (arcane list is tiny too, too many schools almost empty- illusion, for example...)
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriale View Post
    I hope they fix implosion, yes. Divines need more useful spells, not less.
    In my experience, implosion works 100% fine if you hard target one mob within the AOE before casting. If you don't target or soft target, it might work or not work at all.
    Not sure if the problem with wail is similar since I stopped playing my wizard when U18 was released.
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    while not directly related,

Wail really sucks now and i have probably had more kills with Finger of Death than Wail. However, it also led me to try Circle of Death which still works like the old wail except it requires a Reflex, but still works far better than Wail now and has a shorter cooldown. I'm doing ok now with my PM because of this spell. I hope the devs don't see this and get any ideas about Nerfing Circle of Death now.
    Yeah, nowadays Wail is a joke even if it gets fixed to pre-U17. It's a frigging 9th circle arcane spell, it's supposed to be better than a 9th circle divine spell (I'm talking about Implosion). But Wail will not work on undead and constructs, yet it will consider them as potential targets and "waste" ticks on them. I don't recall if the older version had this problem but its effects were negligible (and by the way, Circle has the same problem, though it's easier to manage since it's targetable).
    I think that if they really wanted to balance Wail it should have been more about increasing its SP cost (like Firewall) and having more mild level enemies casting deathward or having some other form of protection than changing the spell itself.

Was this fixed on Lamania?

Community Member

Question

For us antipodeans who haven't signed in yet, is there anything in this patch for the bugged wail spell?

Wail works now as pre-u17 wail. Ironically I had forgotten how weak it is, and how slow kills .... but, when circle is in cooldown ... eh, well. It's better than a not funcional wail.

Wail is fixed. Now it needs a buff.
    English is not my native language. Sorry for the mistakes.

Community Member

Smile

Wail works now as pre-u17 wail. Ironically I had forgotten how weak it is, and how slow kills .... but, when circle is in cooldown ... eh, well. It's better than a not funcional wail.

Dunno if it really needs a buff, just a shorter . What really needs a buff is Magister (please devs). The old pre-xpac wail could target lots and quickly, but there was some dodgy ddo math going on. My pre-xpac necro dc was 45 and if you really needed to slay an enemy with a strong fort save, FoD and CoD were the answer.

Community Member

Unhappy

Ok, so it is better but not perfect and it probably wasn't pre-U17 either - it's just now that I have tried it against extremely weak mobs I have looked at it more closely. 5 out of 6 kills seems to be the norm for Wail when entering casual harbor quests, sixth foe will be a complete miss and with no enervation applied.

Not happy, but I somehow think we aren't going to get it any better soon.

Agreed. There is no reason for the 1 minute cooldown.

del

Same suggestion as when it was first implemented: allow Extend meta.

Community Member

I'm not so sure wail is working...

1st it needs a graphical update. When I attempt to kill a target, I want to see a reaper, or the scream head over their head so I at least know what targets it picked. Then upon failure I should see that tell tail bwoouoooo graphic/sound.

I've been playing my PM for 2 days now. I'm almost certain it still isn't hitting and picking targets correctly.

Just tested on 2 brush creepers.

Tick 1, one death! No neg on secondary target.
    Tick 2, One neg...
    Tick 3... ... ... Nothing.

Both standing on my face....

So with my WAIL I can kill... 1 spider!!!! and... uhh... what a great use of a 1 minute cool down.
    Last edited by 350zguy; 07-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by 350zguy View Post
    Tick 1, one death! No neg on secondary target.
    Tick 2, One neg...
    Tick 3... ... ... Nothing.
    More or less what I've seen as well since the last patch. I do think something changed, but it's still not working anywhere near to what the spell description says or to the way it used to perform in practice. Some ticks it just does nothing at all even though you are very clearly standing directly next to a susceptible mob. It's almost like there's a 50/50 chance now of it working as expected or close to expected; when it fails then you tend to see it do nothing at all.

My test case lately is the single skirmisher at the start of EE Black Loch. This time around I had it happen twice that I danced the mob, wailed, and after wail expired I hadn't seen one single enervation! But a couple other times the mob died which was never happening pre-patch. Maybe I got lucky and he rolled 1s.

Can't decide whether to waste more time bug reporting. They must have changed something unrelated that happened to break wail (a mushroom somewhere?) and now are unable to track down the real problem and fix it without investing more time than they're allowed for bug fixes. Or they're still seeing it "work as expected" on their own systems and refusing to try it on live and see what we're seeing.

Community Member

Still not working.

Like the last patch notes, where nothing they said was fixed actually got fixed. This ain't fixed. Pathetic.

Default suggestion for wail of the banshee

My main has had a long hiatus in the artificer world and completing all PL's x3. but has recently returned as a human wizard PM. I must say that the disappointment in seeing how Wail of the Banshee operates now was considerable indeed. There is no resemblance of its former nature. A wail of the Banshee that acts over time?? Shouldn't this be Echoes of the Banshee or something? IMO, a maxed out necromancer build should be able to instantly deal death a bit better than any one else. So why even try to make it on par with implosion? So, enough complaining and here is my suggestion. If you want to have it potentially kill at most 6 mobs then have it target a maximum of 6 mobs within its range when the spell is cast. Doesn't that at least have the flavor of what it's meant to do? This over time targeting process just doesn't seem appropriate and it seems you've created more problems for yourselves by trying to do it. My best to you all, Kazarach - Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by symplectix View Post
    A wail of the Banshee that acts over time?? Shouldn't this be Echoes of the Banshee or something? IMO, a maxed out necromancer build should be able to instantly deal death a bit better than any one else. So why even try to make it on par with implosion? So, enough complaining and here is my suggestion. If you want to have it potentially kill at most 6 mobs then have it target a maximum of 6 mobs within its range when the spell is cast. Doesn't that at least have the flavor of what it's meant to do? This over time targeting process just doesn't seem appropriate and it seems you've created more problems for yourselves by trying to do it. My best to you all, Kazarach - Khyber
    I never had a wizard to use the "original" wail with; from my perspective the post Wail-nerf but (I think) pre-U17 Wail-bugged version was a great spell. In practice it was not hard to stay mobile and often keep at least two live mobs within range on each tick. Skillful play that could kill 5-6 mobs for 50 SP was quite fair, IMO. It also offered an option to stay within range of a single mob and let it make three saves over three ticks.

The real problem is that they broke it in U17 and despite 2-3 different "it's fixed" statements, it is still frequently not functioning as per pre U17 behavior, nor according to the spell description.

I guess the final option is to try and video it failing and see if that lures a dev back out for another try...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011