Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wail bugged?

Community Member

I was just doin some EGH and thought my wail seemed to be not going off properly. After several uses I asked in guild chat if anyone had experienced anything similar. I got no responses and assumed I was just a fool. Now I see this thread and all I can say is 'OH SNAP' I'm putting on my tinfoil scarf for this one.

Community Member

So it sounds like no level drain on save. For high level mobs, with good saves against your DCs, mostly nothing will happen when wail goes off.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 02-20-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    We couldn't agree more. I just checked in with our Quality Assurance team, and we have a reproduction of the new issue, as well as updated internal testing steps for them to follow when testing spell functionality.

The prior fix to the spell made it through our QA team due to an oversight- it was being tested in a situation against low level enemies who were unlikely to ever make a saving throw. As a result of that and some other factors, they weren't encountering this issue.
    Nice! That's some speedy root cause analysis.

We've got an internal bug in on the new issue with the spell, and it'll get worked on by the appropriate developer.

Thanks for the reports, folks!
    Thanks!
    Brenna, Tzanna, and Tzinna Wavekin
    The Dancing Rogues of Argonnessen
    Ascent

The prior fix to the spell made it through our QA team due to an oversight- it was being tested in a situation against low level enemies who were unlikely to ever make a saving throw. As a result of that and some other factors, they weren't encountering this issue.
    I guess the turbine team never made it past waterworks to test anything further
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    I guess the turbine team never made it past waterworks to test anything further
    Well did you see that preview video posted yesterday?

We couldn't agree more. I just checked in with our Quality Assurance team, and we have a reproduction of the new issue, as well as updated internal testing steps for them to follow when testing spell functionality.

We've got an internal bug in on the new issue with the spell, and it'll get worked on by the appropriate developer.

Why didnt you fix it before going live? and why doesnt it have any sound?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SableShadow View Post
    Nice! That's some speedy root cause analysis.

Thanks!
    That isn't root cause analysis. I'd bet there isn't anyone on staff at, Turbine that knows how to perform root cause analysis. I base this on the facts that each update is more full of bugs than the last; and the fact they make the same mistakes repeatedly.

Implosion seems to have the same issue.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Quote Originally Posted by Siftrant View Post
    That isn't root cause analysis. I'd bet there isn't anyone on staff at, Turbine that knows how to perform root cause analysis. I base this on the facts that each update is more full of bugs than the last; and the fact they make the same mistakes repeatedly.
    /shrug

I think the speed with which they converted a missed bug to "oh, *here's* what we f'd up! And here's how we'd not do that again!" was pretty quick.
    I was expecting days, not minutes/hours, and I wasn't expecting them to say "we really need to test this stuff on appropriate level monsters" either.

What you're pointing out is implementation is different from analysis.
    Ascent

Community Member

[QUOTE=SableShadow;4908896]/shrug

I think the speed with which they converted a missed bug to "oh, *here's* what we f'd up! And here's how we'd not do that again!" was pretty quick.
    I was expecting days, not minutes/hours, and I wasn't expecting them to say "we really need to test this stuff on appropriate level monsters" either.

Blah, whatever.....
    Last edited by Siftrant; 02-20-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Edit: no point to it, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Siftrant View Post
    Blah, whatever.....
    /shrug

Not gonna ask him for his 5-whys or his fishbones or whatever else.
    I'll wager we've both seen or have binders of that stuff, that never quite seems to get implemented properly.

As for Turbine in general, they've got a long track record of "great idea!" followed by really bad followup.
    Ascent

Thank you - this is the exact response I like to see (not snarky or cryptic):
    Confirms the bug
    Reports this is an issue they can reproduce
    Working on the fix to the bug itself
    Also reports why it got past QA (nice bonus to explain. Not required, but really nice to see)
    They are updating their process to detect the issue (excellent)

Only thing missing is that it was put into the "Known Issues" thread.

Well done with the response.

You are welcome, Dev!
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Thanks much, feather, sounds like you're on top of it. It's appreciated.

Default Momentum Swing isnt working either

Says I am not in the correct stance or using correct weapon type but until update used it just fine have all cleaves and using khopesh

Happy 7th Anniversary. It's nice that after 7 years you finally have a procedure to test spells. Better late than never I guess...
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Default Havn't seen this personally....

...but then again I havn't played my Palemaster since May '12 due to....

Wail Changes
    Judgement Bugs
    Brainless Over-Blown Searing Light Spamming Mobs
    Stat Damage Spamming Mobs with NO (easy) way to cure.

and complete and total lack of interest to play this BROKEN class.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...

Community Member

Default Thanks Feather of Sun

Many thanks for the prompt response Feather of Sun. Wails such a fundamental part of the PM armory, that any probs with it cause alot of angst, so its really nice to know its recognized and being fixed.

I am curious though; are these problems the result of implementing some intended alterations to Wail, and if so what were they?

Thanks

used wail yesterday on a cr8 knoll could not kill it and my wiz is lvl 25 with 10 lives and all destinies full, was headed to DQ1 for epic run

:-(

I believe wail is bugged too.

I think the problem is the first tick (2 mobs) not registering, then the last 2 ticks are shorter ranged than it used to be... causing a targeting issue.

Also, the DC may be screwed up on it. Maybe the base bonus was changed to lower the dc dramatically.

Some things to look into.

Currently relying on my finger and cod to destroy everything. Wail only works maybe 30% of the time on 1-3 mobs.

Community Member

Maybe this is part of their over-arching strategy to phase out pale masters. Step 1, nerf wail. Step 2, dramatically increase the effectiveness of melee classes. Step 3, introduce a nature ED that allows arcane niche casters to rival the new norm established by melee. Step 4, raise saves on all mobs by 5 pts in each new update without increasing ways to reach those DCs for casters. Step 5, break wail completely since it was still useful. Check, check, check, check and... check. Step 6 will be what? Give circle of death 2 saves against will and fort? Make FoD a touch spell is step 7 maybe? Step 8... check to see if anyone has logged into a PM build in the last 6 months.. nope.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast