Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Tocawe View Post
    And yes, it would be much more pleasant if you got the portal to Sschindylryn opened once you flagged for the quests there.
    Let me clear up your and the OP's confusion.

The flagging quests for Sschindylryn include:

1) The King's Forest (to get to 2, 3, 4)
    2) Impossible Demands
    3) The Unquiet Graves
    4) The Lost Thread
    5) The Battle for Eveningstar
    6) The Underdark (travel to the portal to Sschindylryn)

You must do all 6. If you would prefer to jump to UBER VET immediately, realize that such a position is RELATIVE and since pretty much ALL but six of your fellow players would want the same, there is no value in requesting it.

While on the subject of FR not doing things first, C. S. Lewis had an interesting vision of the Underdark in 1943:
    "Pictures come back in a chaotic, disjointed fashion. There was a long gallery open to the fire-pit on one side and a terrible place where clouds of steam went up, for ever and ever. Doubtless one of the many torrents that roared in the neighbourhood here fell into the depth of the fire. Beyond that were great halls still dimly illuminated and full of unknown mineral wealth that sparkled and danced in the light and mocked his eyes as if he were exploring a hall of mirrors by the help of a pocket torch. It seemed to him also, though this may have been delirium, that he came through a vast cathedral space which was more like the work of art than that of Nature, with two great thrones at one end and chairs on either hand too large for human occupants. If the things were real, he never found any explanation of them. There was a dark tunnel in which a wind from Heaven knows where was blowing and drove sand in his face. There was also a place where he himself walked in darkness and looked down through fathom below fathom of shafts and natural arches and winding gulfs on to a smooth floor lit with a cold green light. And as he stood and looked it seemed to him that four of the great earth-beetles, dwarfed by distance to the size of gnats, and crawling two by two, came slowly into sight. And they were drawing behind them a flat car, and on the car, upright, unshaken, stood a mantled form, huge and still and slender. And driving its strange team it passed on with insufferable majesty and went out of sight. Assuredly the inside of this world was not for man. But it was for something. And it appeared to Ransom that there might, if a man could find it, be some way to renew the old Pagan practice of propitiating the local gods of unknown places in such fashion that it was no offence to God Himself but only a prudent and courteous apology for trespass. That thing, that swathed form in its chariot, was no doubt his fellow creature. It did not follow that they were equals or had an equal right in the underland. A long time after this came the drumming - the boom-ba-ba-ba-boom-boom out of pitch darkness, distant at first, then all around him, then dying away after endless prolongation of echoes in the black labyrinth. Then came the fountain of cold light - a column, as of water, shining with some radiance of its own, and pulsating, and never any nearer however long he travelled and at last suddenly eclipsed. He did not find what it was."

Clark Ashton Smith did something similar in 1933.

Obviously there are plenty of dark caverns in myths and literature before this, but I find these interesting.
    Thelanis: Takhysys, Tenauch, Vitriolus, Kalav, Leprous

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I like the Underdark.

Yes, I'm an old D&D fanboy. (Greyhawk, not FR though)

I think it is well done.
    It had to be big.

We had to spend time finding and traveling to the Drow city.

It's flavor, and good flavor.

And plenty of XP to be had down there.

That said, I am not totally saitisfied with how TRing wipes out all favor and accomplishments.
    But I think most people prefer that to the alternative of not getting to reset XP bonuses, etc.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 02-20-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
    Let me clear up your and the OP's confusion.
    I find the Underdark requirement annoying and rather pointless.

Also in order to get to FR you need the LOD chain and the Rift which adds 4 more required quests to your list of things that must be done.

I understand that people enjoy the Underdark. People are allowed to like things.

Quote Originally Posted by Raithe View Post
    If you would prefer to jump to UBER VET immediately, realize that such a position is RELATIVE and since pretty much ALL but six of your fellow players would want the same, there is no value in requesting it.
    Couple things:

Where in my post do I say I am uber? Was it the part about TRing? I am as far from uber as the earth is to mars.

This isn't a request. It is a question. These things lead to discussion about why things are the way they are. I didn't follow the reasoning for a required run into a wilderness just to get to another wilderness. Once I reach the Drow City, I never go back to the Underdark. Some other people enjoy the zone.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

So some lucky DEV can do Umberhulks for us.

It is simply going to be a launching point for future things. When they will get to that is yet to be seen. Much like shavrath you have three destinations to go to only one works. Its not done. That is a simple as It can be said. Much like new content in fr..the forest will expand when they get around to it..much like many forests..and other things..leaving the door open for future expansions.
    It reminds me about years ago when you had to do harbor quests to get into the city. They were still kinda working on the city so it was something to slow you down till they came out with new stuff. Of course this is only my opinion but do you release a car that is 2013 back in 2006? You leave your options open to keep you going while they build new things

And how long did it take for epic gianthold? It was done long ago but could not be implemented. Now there are epic levels and now epic gianthold is here.
    Last edited by silence383; 02-21-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    Obscurity

One major advantage to the Underdark is that by utilizing the tunnel systems and keeping distances vague, you can rather easily justify setting new content anywhere in the realms. Want to set something in Icewind Dale? Drow Caravan. Want to visit the Shou Lung Empire? Drow Diplomatic Mission. Want to explore the hidden depths of the Jungles of Chult? Drow Research Expedition. Want to experience the ancient lands of Mulhorand? Drow Reconnaissance Party. In every case your character and/or party are mercenary hirelings sent as additional trouble shooters or follow-up investigators in case the initial expedition never reported back in. Tired of everything being Drow-related? Make the Duergar or Svirfneblin (Deep Gnomes) the quest-givers. People have been agitating for years to make gnomes a playable race, so why not use the Svirfneblin of the Forgotten Realms Underdark to fill that slot?

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Underdark is tremendously well done. Just simply THE best wilderness in the game so far. Yeah, I'd love it if there were more quests in there, but I'd rather s/r/e in UD than in KF ANY day of the week. KF is huge, underpopulated, flat, and boring (not to mention i hate the Darkening). UD is huge, intricate, three dimensionally designed, and FULL of encounters. Love it.
    I agree, I love this area and usually get 100K my first run thru. I try to do explorers for xp before I'm level 25 to save as many quests as I can. The variety in mobs is awesome as well.

I tend to do explorers when I can't commit to quests as well because I might have to go afk atm.
    Hexxa CLR 25 *TR* * ~Hexanna ~*TR* FVS 25 * Hexecuter CLR 20 *Flexanna RGR/R/M 18/1/1 *TR* * Flexa FTR/R 18/2 TR * Hextravaganz Bard *TR* 18/2 * Hexotic Sorc 13 * Hexquisite Wiz 23 * ~~Quantum Entropy * SARLONA~~ - * and various other scoundrels

Maybe the Underdark is where they decided to hide all our missing outfits...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    What disappoints me is not the design or execution but the lack of use of it. Not just the quest OP mentioned, but once you find Schin... there's no reason to step foot into the Underdark again.
    The Twelve was ugly and had dead ends, and the interior was lame. When they finally were prepared to finish that area, the entire interior of the Tower was redone, and quests were placed at the dead ends. I assume the underdark will receive the same treatment in some future update.

I still wonder what was originally planned to go into those 2 locked rooms in the old Twelve interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighnuss View Post
    The Twelve was ugly and had dead ends, and the interior was lame. When they finally were prepared to finish that area, the entire interior of the Tower was redone, and quests were placed at the dead ends. I assume the underdark will receive the same treatment in some future update.
    I doubt it. The Twelve was pretty simple to replace as it only really consisted of two small "rooms". The Underdark on the other hand is actually pretty massive. I think it is more likely they'll add quests at various locations and possibly improve the immediate vicinity of those quests versus a complete overhaul.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

I'd love to see more quests added to the Underdark; there are enough jumping-off points there for good fun.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post
    II didn't follow the reasoning for a required run into a wilderness just to get to another wilderness.
    First, the Underdark can be entered from the Eveningstar cave, you don't have to run through the King's Forest (though teleporting to the PDK outpost and entering from there will put you very close to the Sschindylryn portal.)

Second, I think it's extremely amusing that people seem to think that adventure areas are ONLY for getting to quests. Umm, no. Adventure areas are entertainment in and of themselves, and are often better entertainment than the static linear grindfests that are defined as "quests."

The most fun I had after the release of MotU was in the Underdark, closely followed by the King's Forest. They were a blast (though they've lost their sparkle due to running them dozens to hundreds of times on each of about 10 different characters). Still, the adventure areas are the only place I actually get XP anymore, since I do not flit about for extended periods of time in destinies that do me no good.

So, to me, the MAIN game is adventure areas and challenges. The quests are just tacked on boring grind.

uses of underdark:

- give headache (til u get the goggles, once u get em... the vision is... incredible, im not a lore fan, in fact i don't care about lore but everylife when i reach there and put my goggles on, the overhelming feeling strikes again, great job must say)
    - show players that run & smash it's not the only things you can do in wilderness, getting lost is one of them
    - s/r/e, i know, must be mad to do s/r/e at those lvl, but ppl do, i'm not the only one who plays ddo so other players should have the option to choose(some players are bad using wiki or reading quest objectives, so use to lvl with s/r/e, hey if they have fun...)
    -some hidden loot, i mean... there's something, i know it, dunno what or where, must say (why should be there something? well, other wilderness have interesting items and are quite easier to get, some are even farmed)
    -transition, i mean... you have done 1 quest (aka beyond the rift) to reach FR from eberron, now you are in eberron and wanna go to the drow city...where should it be? next door to eveningstar? only a wilderness between both cities? the city is inside the underdark, so at least you should try to find the city, not simply step in underdark and hey! here's the signal "welcome to schy...schi...sssshi...drow town"

and the last and for me, the most important thing, stuff like that (wilderness where there's "nothing" to do, just take a round) are what make ddo a rpg, and not a mm-arcade such nwn,wow, etc

yes, underdark is prolly the best place to RP, i don't do it(prefer pnp sorry) but players shuld have the option to choose
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123