Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

2014 DDO Players Council

Default Devs, greensteel deconstruction, please!

Hey devs,

Any chance we'll ever actually get real greensteel deconstruction, where we can remove and replace the properties on our greensteel items? We have it for Dragontouched, Epic items, runearms, lootgen/Cannith-crafted items, and even ToD rings (mostly...requires a pretty-much-store-only item) now. But still not greensteel.

Would love to hear that this is in the works.

It is already possible with a yellow dopant.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by LOOON375 View Post
    So far as I know, all that lets you do is completely destroy your Greensteel item, not let you put different effects on it.

Is there really an option to just clear your greensteel item rather than destroy it? Have you tried it?

If that's true, they kind of glossed over it in their release notes when that came out.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Have you tried it?
    Yes, I have deconstructed multiple weapons.

While you can't do a partial deconstruction, you do get quite a bit of your ingredients back to put towards making something more in line with what you feel is appropriate.
    The Fockers of Argo

2014 DDO Players Council

Yes, I have deconstructed multiple weapons.
    And you got back a blank greensteel item?

you do get quite a bit of your ingredients back
    I don't care about ingredients, I just want to get back my greensteel item to I can craft something different onto it.

I have not used, but am aware of the "completely destroy your item and get back some ingredients" option.

I want an option to deconstruct a greensteel item so I can re-enchant it. Does that option already exist, yes or no?

If so, GREAT! Sorry for the confusion. I certainly had not seen it plainly stated anywhere that it was possible.

If not, then I am politely asking the devs to implement such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    And you got back a blank greensteel item?

I don't care about ingredients, I just want to get back my greensteel item to I can craft something different onto it.

I have not used, but am aware of the "completely destroy your item and get back some ingredients" option.

I want an option to deconstruct a greensteel item so I can re-enchant it. Does that option already exist, yes or no?

If so, GREAT! Sorry for the confusion. I certainly had not seen it plainly stated anywhere that it was possible.

If not, then I am politely asking the devs to implement such a thing.
    No, you do not get back your greensteel "blank" weapon.
    The Fockers of Argo

I'd recommend against using this. Just keep the item you're planning on deconstructing and build another greensteel entirely. The two times I've used yellow dopants on dual shard items I got back zero large scales and zero large stones... so effectively I got back nothing in return, since scales and stones are all that really matter.

As someone who just tried to do the juggle to rebuild several green steel items on my more primary toons, the inability to re-build a blank and the inability to use the Meridia altar effectively at 12 even after de-conning is a real pain.

Character A destroys GS blank.
    Character A has materials to make GS blank.
    Character A is level 12, and can't make new GS blank since they can't access the altar in Meridia.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Crafting a blank is the easiest of the easiest things to do. Running shroud more or less regularly will provide TONS of small and medium ingredients for your Tier1 and 2 upgrades. The biggie is Tier 3, which dopant is 'supposed' to help you with, in term of deconning old GS items.

There really doesn't seem to be much need for a decon that leaves you with a blank GS item, as opposed to ToD rings which can be very rare to come by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    There really doesn't seem to be much need for a decon that leaves you with a blank GS item
    I'm not asking for the current greensteel destruction to be removed. If you like it better, I don't object.

I'm not sure why you say my idea is not needed just because you don't need it. I need it, or I wouldn't have asked for it.
    Last edited by SirValentine; 02-25-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Hope this helps...

- You do not get back your Shards.

Below is the transaction when you use a Yellow Dopant and item in the Altar.

And for my own sanity at the time, I had an empty Small Ingredients bag which I turned on 'Gather' and disabled it on my normal Huge bag. All the items listed in the transaction appeared for me. I just had to go collect Shards again (cuz I tend to give them out as I don't normally need them.) I luckily had a few extra Shards in my bank from loot and completion runs. So that was no big deal to me, but for others... maybe.

Good luck!

T.
    Last edited by THAC0; 02-18-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THAC0 View Post
    Hope this helps...

- You do not get back your Shards.

Below is the transaction when you use a Yellow Dopant and item in the Altar.

And for my own sanity at the time, I had an empty Small Ingredients bag which I turned on 'Gather' and disabled it on my normal Huge bag. All the items listed in the transaction appeared for me. I just had to go collect Shards again (cuz I tend to give them out as I don't normally need them.) I luckily had a few extra Shards in my bank from loot and completion runs. So that was no big deal to me, but for others... maybe.

Good luck!

T.
    Yeah, that's a solid example of why deconning greensteel is pointless. One large stone and no LDS? The dopant used for that decon is more valuable than what you got back.

Yellow Dopant has only two uses, as far as I can tell: Deconning ToD rings and recovering a cleanser.

I'm on the fence with it really... but glad I took a screenshot and set up a bag to double check just what I got when I clicked the button.

Could it be better, yes. How... I dunno. I hate crafting in any form.

T.

Used a dopant once. Got back no scales and no stones.

Not doing it again. Plus, the dopant drop rate is pitiful.

Community Member

Yellow Dopant is now a guaranteed drop on your 20th Shroud and multiples of 20.

Remember that unenhanced GS items and weapons are NOT BtC. A workaround to the level 12 prohibition is to have a higher level character create the goodie you want and transfer it to the character who wants it. It still means that the higher level must have the blank Signet Stone.....and the level 12 can't actually enhance the item because the Shards are min level 13. I was in exactly that situation with my Arti...wanting to make a nice Lit2 Repeater only to discover that I can't imbue the Shards. And I'm one Supreme Shard short.

Next TR, I'll be planning further ahead.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post
    I'd love to know how many of these have actually dropped randomly in all of DDO. They are criminally rare.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMond63 View Post

Remember that unenhanced GS items and weapons are NOT BtC. A workaround to the level 12 prohibition is to have a higher level character create the goodie you want and transfer it to the character who wants it. It still means that the higher level must have the blank Signet Stone.....and the level 12 can't actually enhance the item because the Shards are min level 13. I was in exactly that situation with my Arti...wanting to make a nice Lit2 Repeater only to discover that I can't imbue the Shards. And I'm one Supreme Shard short.

Next TR, I'll be planning further ahead.
    Not true, a level 12 character can craft and imbue tier 1, 2, and 3 shards on green steel. I just did it with TR-banked shroud crystals at level 12 with a passed blank and TP purchased ings. I have a triple positive maul that was crafted by a level 12 TR (obv. you need to have the blank shards though).
    Dystopia Starchucker
    Castaspella Practiced Spellcaster
    Ought Machinist

Id say make dopants more common at least-the rate is still a joke tbh .

But hey i know it wont happen since they are a quite expensive store item still
    R.I.P. Devourer - 20-Aug-2010 11:00 GMT(+1 DST)
    (World Broadcast): World broadcast: 'Farewell to all our loyal players and thank you for your time in Eberron. We wish you all the best for your future adventures. Please log out now as the servers are now going down. Many thanks, Codemasters Online.'

***Ghallanda Rerolled*** *Yvonnel-1* "Peinlicher" Sylestria-1 Jarlaxle-1 Sammaster-1 Zapp-1
    formerly Dorn / Devourer - EU

i would rather seeing the essence of cleansing droping from some chest lol

if you are in thelanis and want some blank lemme know, i have 12 stones, you put the rest of ingredients, cost 0 for you, and less weight for me ^_^uu XD
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

When I screwed up a greensteel necklace(dyslexia: for some reason Ethereal and Material get confused by me), I bought a dopant from the store. This was only a tier 1 greensteel, so I was hopping to just blank it and start over. Alas, it wrecked the entire item. I got back my Shavarath Signet Stone, though, so it wasn't a total loss. I did end up loosing about 400k worth of tier 0 mats(the stuff you make the blank with) but I did not loose the 5 or 6 hours it would take to re-run all those quests.(5 or 6 hours counts: time it takes to find a party, time it takes to get to the quest entrance, time it takes to actually run the quest.)

So I was out 400 TP and 400k. If the yello dopant at least guaranteed that you got the Signet Stone back EVERY SINGLE TIME, I'd be ok with it. I don't really think much of dropping 400TP on a decontruction, but the TIME to go out and get another signet stone... that is a pain. (Yes, I know the store dopant is only 395 TP, if you feel the need to post and correct me over 5tp then you have serious issues and should seek professional help).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast