Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Monk self healing. Am I doing it wrong?

I just hit level 9 and got Improved Two Weapon Fighting. So far the only self-healing that I know of is Fists of Light and then the Healing finisher. I'm assuming that when my offhand attack procs I'm also receive healing from FOL.

But not matter what I do I can't increase the hp gain beyond 1-2 points. I now have Improved Human Rec 1, and Monk Impr Rec 1 and 2. I also wear a + 48 Devotion item. Should those increase the gain from Fists of Light? I know they increase the gain from the finisher, but what about FOL?

It just seems to me that I'm taking damage faster than I can heal it. I know I can sit and get it back, but this assumes that I can survive a big battle first. And since FOL does not deal any damage on its own, the fights take longer, so its an odd tradeoff?

Any advice on better ways to stay alive in a big fight? I know I can use Earth Stance, and have been doing so. Thanks.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Hmm my human monk gets about 3 pts per strike with fol and heals pretty good with the finisher I rarely need to use a pot

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Heal amp can get it to 3-4 average fairly easily (max your human and monk heal amps, ship buff and that should do it at your level). With strike speed you should be staying ahead of the incoming damage.

Get a perma-blur item - 20% miss will make a huge difference in your incoming damage.

Next to get is vampiric on your handwraps - even lesser will significanly increase your incoming healing.

Devotion would be (IIRC) only for the triple light finisher. I don't think it affects the healing curse.

Also - AC/Dodge - you want to work on getting both of these up (Wis/Dex for AC + dodge items (say a mobility item and a +2% dodge item of some sort and you will be up to about 8-9% dodge fairly easily in the right stance). At Level 9 you shouldn't be getting hit that much - if you are work on AC/Dodge/Blur.

Finally - playstyle - don't stay in a pile of mobs - move - constantly - circle strafe a group of mobs and beat them down at least so you have a manageable group - worst case get your back to a wall - stun/trip etc....to do some CC - manage the quest so you only have 2-4 mobs to deal with at a time. If you are getting owned by a single mob something else is wrong other than your self-healing.

Oh and you can still kite and chug pots.....with the heal amp you should get good returns on CSW pots.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Sorc TR7 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/8 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 TR2 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

But not matter what I do I can't increase the hp gain beyond 1-2 points. I now have Improved Human Rec 1, and Monk Impr Rec 1 and 2.
    This is only 30% amp. 1 x 1.3 = 1.3, which rounds down to 1. 2 x 1.3 = 2.6 which...rounds down to 2.

In order to start seeing more healing, you need more healing amp. When it gets to 100%, then you'll be healing 2-4. You need item support to achieve that, and healing amp is a rare modifier. The good news is that the way the math works, adding in any item will be a huge rather than incremental improvement in how much amp you are carrying.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

First of all, the healing curse that Fists of Light puts on the enemy is not affected by your Devotion/Potency/Healing Lore - it's only affected by your healing amp.

The Lightx3 finisher is affected by Devotion or Potency (higher of the two) and Healing Lore.

Healing amp is very sensitive to hitting certain numbers - namely increments of 50%. For a first life monk that's low level, here are your sources of amp and the resulting effect on Fists of Light:

Human I - 1.1x
    Monk 1 - 1.1x
    Monk 2 - 1.1x - This is where you are now with a total of 1.1x1.1x1.1 = 1.331 multiplier to all heals. Unfortunately this isn't high enough to force Fists of Light up to the next level.

Human II - 1.1x - This is where you could be spending 4 more AP. This actually wouldn't help you for Fists of Light as it only goes up to 1.4641 - still not the 1.5x that you would need.

Here's the real one you'd need:
    Jid'z-tetka + Fire Stance - 1.25x with Human I and Monk II 1.25x1.1x1.1x1.1 = 1.66375. You would then get 1 or 3 from Fists of Light instead of 1/2.

Lastly, if you were able to get ship buffs that included the healing amp buff and trained Human Amp II you would have the following.
    Earth Stance, Human II, Monk II, Ship Buff: 1.61051 for 1/3 Fists of Light
    Fire Stance/Jidz'tetka, Human II, Monk II, Ship Buff: 2.0131375 for 2/4 Fists of Light

In addition to all of this at level 12 you'll be able to use Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps. That adds another point for every hit as well (which is also affected by your amp).
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First of all, the healing curse that Fists of Light puts on the enemy is not affected by your Devotion/Potency/Healing Lore - it's only affected by your healing amp.

The Lightx3 finisher is affected by Devotion or Potency (higher of the two) and Healing Lore.

Healing amp is very sensitive to hitting certain numbers - namely increments of 50%. For a first life monk that's low level, here are your sources of amp and the resulting effect on Fists of Light:

Human I - 1.1x
    Monk 1 - 1.1x
    Monk 2 - 1.1x - This is where you are now with a total of 1.1x1.1x1.1 = 1.331 multiplier to all heals. Unfortunately this isn't high enough to force Fists of Light up to the next level.

Human II - 1.1x - This is where you could be spending 4 more AP. This actually wouldn't help you for Fists of Light as it only goes up to 1.4641 - still not the 1.5x that you would need.

Jid'z-tetka + Fire Stance - 1.25x with Human I and Monk II 1.25x1.1x1.1x1.1 = 1.66375. You would then get 1 or 3 from Fists of Light instead of 1/2.

Lastly, if you were able to get ship buffs that included the healing amp buff and trained Human Amp II you would have the following.
    Fire Stance/Jidz'tetka, Human II, Monk II, Ship Buff: 2.0131375 for 2/4 Fists of Light

In addition to all of this at level 12 you'll be able to use Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps. That adds another point for every hit as well (which is also affected by your amp).
    Be patient - wait till 12 - get stonedust wraps, then make them vampiric as mentioned above.

It DOES get better as you work on gear and healing amp (monk and racial, assuming racial's an option for you). As you're leveling, focus on hitting as much as often (i.e. doublestrikes, attack speed) and switch to fire stance.

Believe it or not, your problem is monster HP right now - they don't have enough. I am guessing you don't frequently get to finish your combo; or if you do get light light light, you only get the finisher every once in a while. Everything dies too fast? At 11 or 12, you will start appreciating "fat" mobs

You will still need to drink potions, but it definitely gets better.
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 02-18-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Community Member

Yes, monsters dying too fast is a problem right now (in Searing Heights for example). Same thing with Necro 1 (especially since this does damage them in that case). My race is half elf btw. My biggest problem is getting swarmed by 4+ enemies at one time. Also, Archers are a problem. (In Necro 1 (when I was 7 and banking 8), we did a quest on ahrd where you enter these huge chambers full of archers. They almost pecked us to death. It was really annoying.)

Those bracers are a really good idea. Am I at a level where I can get those right now?

Regarding Vampiric (later on), I haven't ever done any crafting. Are those hard to craft?

Regarding being in Fire Stance for the healing, how do you also double-strike and hit faster, like was advise, when in Fire Stance?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    Yes, monsters dying too fast is a problem right now (in Searing Heights for example). Same thing with Necro 1 (especially since this does damage them in that case). My race is half elf btw. My biggest problem is getting swarmed by 4+ enemies at one time. Also, Archers are a problem. (In Necro 1 (when I was 7 and banking 8), we did a quest on ahrd where you enter these huge chambers full of archers. They almost pecked us to death. It was really annoying.)

Those bracers are a really good idea. Am I at a level where I can get those right now?

Regarding Vampiric (later on), I haven't ever done any crafting. Are those hard to craft?

Regarding being in Fire Stance for the healing, how do you also double-strike and hit faster, like was advise, when in Fire Stance?

Thanks again.
    Given their high DC's at low levels, monks are quite good at tactical stuff such as trip or stunning (fist or blow)- in the case of swarming, hop from one mob to another, tripping or stunning until you get the group culled down to a manageable number (i.e. a couple are on the floor and two are still standing) - take out the standing ones (the ones that resisted your tactical attack) first.

For archers: carry a returning thrower or shuriken, UMD a wand (if possible on your build), OR (preferable _if_ you have zen archery) a longbow to take out snipers. But before you assume you have to do any of those three - look around the room... Playing my monk allowed me to discover there are a lot of places a monk can go that I assumed were unreachable - even without abundant step - due to their increased run speed. You can't get to every sniper perch, but odds are you can get to more than you think right now. this IS the case with Necro I - run QUICKLY (dodging incoming) to the wall, run on the little step beside that wall (drink a jump potion if necessary - cheaply available in market), jump and let your monk grab the top of the wall. Trip (stun doesn't work) a skelly or two, use fire stance (undead take extra damage from fire) and beat on any that dodge your trip. Undead bane or wraps with disruption (when you can) will make all undead a joke.

I don't know if you are VIP, Premium or F2P, but the catacombs (level 2-3?) chain has a set of handwraps that cut through low level undead like butter. The Jidz come from the House Deneith P2P chain (level 7?). Those are SUPER easy to upgrade (though it may make you run the chain 2-3 times before gathering everything you need... most I've ever had to run it was twice).

Stonedust wraps are relatively easy to get - The Lordsmarch plaza chain is popular for XP - but solo you can get them in a couple runs of Eyes of Stone usually. Use them as soon as you get them for crazy stunning. You then need to run them again to farm (specifically Attack on Stormreach) - the harder part here is getting the Staff of the Shadow - it's not Uber rare, but rare enough to be annoying) and a purple Mark of CORRECTION: Tzyryan Rrac (per next post) - those are relatively common. If you get one during a run of the chain, and wind up running the chain a total of three times, the end reward will likely contain the other. Use those in the cauldron of kama sutra or whatever in Lordsmarch plaza.
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 02-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Community Member

Thanks again.
    You're at the perfect level to get Jidz'tetka. They come from the Sentinels quest line in House Deneith. It's a pack so if you don't have the pack you can't get it but it's a great pack for your level (you'll get bravery bonus for running it on elite at level 9 since it's a level 7 quest line).

Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps aren't 'crafted' in the sense you're thinking. You get them by running the free-to-play pack in Lordsmarch Plaza to get the regular Stonedust Handwraps from the last quest there. Then you have to get a Mark of Tzaryan Rrac from Seigebreaker and Staff of Shadows from the entire quest line of the pay-to-play second portion in Lordsmarch. You combine the handwraps, the mark, and the staff of shadows in the cauldron in Lordsmarch and you get the Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps.

Cauldron of Sora Katra
    Tajawuka 20 Bladeforged Paladin running divine ETR's (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's, 3 martial epl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

If you are a half-elf, take the Cleric Dilletante racial feat. The first couple of ranks allow easy use of cure wands. Coupled with good healing amp, you'll be able to alternate between wand whips and pots for major healing. If you are in a high enough level guild, you can buy Cure Critical Wounds wands from the guild wand vendor. Those are a nice step up in healing. Eventually by lvl 15 with the final rank of Improved Dilletante, you'll be 95% successful on Heal scrolls. Healing will not be a problem after that. You'll be scroll healing for triple, probably even quadruple from what you can get from a wand or a pot. To top it off, you'll also have access to Restoration and Raise Dead scrolls. Very handy.

Also note that wands and scrolls do NOT make you uncentered. Wand whip and scroll away.

Those bracers are a really good idea. Am I at a level where I can get those right now?/
    The bracers come from the Sentinels of Stormreach chain, all lvl 7 quests. The bracers drop very often in the end chest of The Tide Turns (the final quest in the chain) and will just about always show up in the end reward list on each and every 3rd completion of the chain. They are very easy to aquire, and the three items to upgrade them are quite easy to get as well.

The 'crafting' for the Stonedust Wraps requires you to first get the wraps, which drop in the end chest of Eyes of Stone, the end quest in the lvl 12 Lordsmarch chain. They have a terribly low drop rate, so you might be better off checking the auction house, or throwing up an LFM for farming. Upgrading them to add Lesser Vampirism requires you to complete the Attack on Stormreach lvl 13 chain, get the correct upgrade marks and hope you get the correct item to combine with the wraps, the Staff of Shadow.

It can take a very long time to get the upgraded wraps legit. Again, check the auction house. Upgraded, unbound Vampiric Stonedust Wraps are a big seller, but typically very pricey.

An alternative is to buy a Lesser Vampirism shard from the auction house, or have someone craft one for you. You can then add that shard to any set of handwraps that have been disjuncted for crafting (which requires no crafting to levels to do). For example, if you disjuncted a random set of junk handwraps and purchased a +1 shard, and Acid shard, and a Lesser Vampirism shard, you could simply combine them in the appropriate crafting machines to make a set of +1 Acid of Lesser Vampirism handwraps with a minimum level of 9 (IIRC).

You don't. Fire Stance is widely regarded as inferior DPS for the most part. The only saving grace is the +25% healing amp with the bracers equipped. Personally I would ignore Fire Stance and stick with Wind. In the long run, you will be better off with Wind stance and eventually you'll get all the healing amp you will need.

Johnny brings up something thatrequires clarification on my part - I run fire stance till I get to higher levels (16-17, perhaps) and am able to get healing amp up via feats, enhancement, or gear THEN start needing the benefits of Wind or Earth - then I start using those as applicable.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    Johnny brings up something thatrequires clarification on my part - I run fire stance till I get to higher levels (16-17, perhaps) and am able to get healing amp up via feats, enhancement, or gear THEN start needing the benefits of Wind or Earth - then I start using those as applicable.
    Earth does become really nice on a pure monk w/ Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps at level 12 though - the tier 3 stance gives that nice boost to crits and Vampiric Stonedust Handwraps have that great effect of proc'ing Stoneskin when hit and in Earth stance. I still tend to run fire a lot for the amp at that level but against things that hit harder having the PRR from Earth III and the proc's of Stoneskin can really raise survivability. It all depends on how hard the enemies hit.

The nice thing with fire stance is that you don't get much out of the higher tiers. Makes it easy to build a toon for earth and/or wind but switch to fire when you need the extra healing amp.

Community Member

Will Vampiric be boosted by + Recovery also? It seems it normally heals back 1hp per hit. If I have Human Rec 1 and 2, and Monk Rec 1-3, will that give me 2 hps per hit?

Community Member

The 1 point from vampiric does get raised by healing amp but takes a lot of amp - at least getting the multiplier to 2. That would require, for example, the Human II, Monk II, Fire Stance w/ Jidz, and Ship buff in my example above to get the multiplier to 2.0131375 which is just barely enough to give you 2 points per hit instead of 1. You can replace the ship buff with Human III or Monk III to get the same effect.

Community Member

In addition to all the above, an outfit of invulnerability or buttressing is incredible for reducing incoming damage especially from archers. I end up not even swapping it out till level 16 when I get my heal amp dragontouched.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I just hit level 9 and got Improved Two Weapon Fighting. So far the only self-healing that I know of is Fists of Light and then the Healing finisher. I'm assuming that when my offhand attack procs I'm also receive healing from FOL.

But not matter what I do I can't increase the hp gain beyond 1-2 points. I now have Improved Human Rec 1, and Monk Impr Rec 1 and 2. I also wear a + 48 Devotion item. Should those increase the gain from Fists of Light? I know they increase the gain from the finisher, but what about FOL?
    First up, Devotion/potency will only effect the finishing move.

You need healing amp to get more off the FoL marker.

At 25... I've got Monk Heal amp 3, human heal amp 3, (she's a first lifer) 30% amp from PDK gloves, 20% healing amp on bracers (Covolecence). I don't have spot rigged for 10% more, but I do get the ship buff for healing amp.

At that stage, that ship buff is necessary to push me up from 2/5 on the FoL to 3/6. The FoL seems to do roughly the same as Lesser Vamprirsesm, so I've used Vampiric Stondust wraps for a long time. I'm working on getting a pair of Ivy Wraps for full blown vampirisim currently.

But use of a "vampire" based handwrap in conjunction with the FoL marker and you'll start to see a better return. Granted, fights will take longer because you are doing less damage.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyputrid View Post
    I
    The 'crafting' for the Stonedust Wraps requires you to first get the wraps, which drop in the end chest of Eyes of Stone, the end quest in the lvl 12 Lordsmarch chain. They have a terribly low drop rate, so you might be better off checking the auction house, or throwing up an LFM for farming. Upgrading them to add Lesser Vampirism requires you to complete the Attack on Stormreach lvl 13 chain, get the correct upgrade marks and hope you get the correct item to combine with the wraps, the Staff of Shadow.

It can take a very long time to get the upgraded wraps legit. Again, check the auction house. Upgraded, unbound Vampiric Stonedust Wraps are a big seller, but typically very pricey.

Stonedust wraps are BtA so if you have a higher lvl toon farm Eyes on elite they drop rather frequently on elite.

The staff is on end reward table so farm away on normal until you get it

The mark is in Seigebreaker or you can buy it from the sora kell cauldron for 5 astral shards. I guess it just depends on your willingness to grind the mark out or if you just want it now.

OP; On my monk I started at lvl7 and honestly it felt like a gimp fighter to me, but once I hit lvl12 wow, just wow, those wraps and ninja spy II just made me fall in love with monk.

I also went helf-dilly and greatly enjoy it, fail only on a 1 hjeal scrolls are great. Raises and restoration scrolls are also great. Wand whipping at lower levels really helped out also to keep myself topped off.

If you think Stonedust wraps are amazing wait until you finally get a set of EE Ivywraps. I farmed out the CitW raid wraps and T3 alchemical wraps and honestly I use the EE ivywraps most of the time.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post

+1 for the good info, Darkrok.

OP, this is exactly what I was going to put together for you when I read your post, but Darkrok beat me to it.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Jidz-Tet%27ka

Regarding vampiric stonedust wraps, the chain reward gives 100% for all named items to drop every 3rd completion of the chain, even on casual, so grinding out the staff and whatever marks you need is really only a matter of like a night's effort. (Marks count as named items, meaning all 4 marks show up in every 3rd list.)

Stunning Fist is huge; don't overlook it. Though at lower levels it's a bit of a strain on your ki.

EDIT: Also, the upgraded vampiric stonedust wraps are BtCoE, meaning you can just buy them off the ah for a few hundred k if you have a lot of plat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Regarding vampiric stonedust wraps, the chain reward gives 100% for all named items to drop every 3rd completion of the chain, even on casual, so grinding out the staff and whatever marks you need is really only a matter of like a night's effort. (Marks count as named items, meaning all 4 marks show up in every 3rd list.)

Stunning Fist is huge; don't overlook it. Though at lower levels it's a bit of a strain on your ki.

EDIT: Also, the upgraded vampiric stonedust wraps are BtCoE, meaning you can just buy them off the ah for a few hundred k if you have a lot of plat.
    THIS regarding stunning first. I'm not sure how it becomes any less a drain on my ki later. 15 is a huge amount and takes me while to build up to (unless i start with it), but because I also want to heal, I usually don't because the healing costs me another 10. Do we accumulate Ki at higher rates as the levels go up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast