Default How would you make the most o your bard life?

Hey all,

Almost ready for my bard life and looking for input on an enjoyable romp through the levels. I have my own ideas for the life, just wanted forumites to share ideas, tricks and builds that worked for you.

For myself? I am basically I'm looking at 3 build archtypes:
    1- 16/2/2 classic Axesinger split; warchanter or spell singer, human 2wf
    2- 17/1/2 bard/barb/rogue, Horc thf
    3- 8/6/6 pewpew arti style, human repeater

I've got a load of 1-18 twink gear, and that's all I'm looking for over my final 3 lives before I earn completionist.

So my question is, what have you found to be the most enjoyable split? Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers

All 3 would be fun to me.

The Arty split means you would be able to always get traps.

I have leveled a 15BRD/3FTR/2ROG Axesinger but went THF...loved it.

8BRD/6Arty/6???

That last 6 could be...
    FTR for feats and haste boost and Kensei
    ROG skill points and Evasion and sneak attack dmg
    Ranger for Many shot option and easy TWF and decent SP also.

Had a buddy back when Tempest 1 was stupidly awesome...
    12BRD/6Ranger/2ROG
    Tempest...
    AND
    Elf AA

Anyway if it is just a pass through life...BRD is pretty cool.
    Nice Skill points...
    Native UMD
    Songs make everyone better
    Can cast HAGE
    "Hireling" Human Cleric...Yes I stand in traps...my name is Hireling...its in my nature.
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

6 rogue mechanic, for insightful strikes and damage + basic warchanger + mini hage.

Mm, kinda like the tempest chanter but it seems a little back loaded.

(I'm kinda wanting to go full ******, had too many supremely self sufficent lives recently - need to prep for barb life after all)

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    Hey all,

Almost ready for my bard life and looking for input on an enjoyable romp through the levels. I have my own ideas for the life, just wanted forumites to share ideas, tricks and builds that worked for you.

For myself? I am basically I'm looking at 3 build archtypes:
    1- 16/2/2 classic Axesinger split; warchanter or spell singer, human 2wf
    2- 17/1/2 bard/barb/rogue, Horc thf
    3- 8/6/6 pewpew arti style, human repeater

I've got a load of 1-18 twink gear, and that's all I'm looking for over my final 3 lives before I earn completionist.

So my question is, what have you found to be the most enjoyable split? Do you have any other suggestions?

Cheers
    I would go Dwarf + axes for axesinger. If Human then Kopeshs. STR based of course.

For the HOrc idea I would consider 1 Druid/ 2 - 4 Ftr/ 17 - 15 Bard

Druid for Ram's Might, Fighter for bonus feats obviously. 4 Ftr levels might be attractive since you focus on melee and give up caster levels any way. Otto's Irresistable Dance is nice but is it that important over additional bonus feats, which might unlockmore epic destiny powers?

PewPew Bards I never played.
    Characters on Orien:
    Wanzer/ Klingtanz/ Incanta Superior/ Mercantus

Community Member

I did my bard life as a 6 Barb, 7 Fighter, 7 Bard, Kensai Warchanter 2 hander cleave spammer.

It wasnt too bad.
    Vlyxnol - Coven of Heroes - Cannith
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."

Community Member

If I went for completionist with aba, I'd do my bard life the same as my static bard toon: The planktoneter
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=407232
    But ofc, it's all a matter of flavor and opinion what you like most
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

Community Member

Hey Voxson, some input from my experiences, hope they help. :-)

I played a WF TWF Khopesh 12bard/6rgr/2rog several years back and chronicled the build here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...90&postcount=4

I eventually LR'd him into 16bard/2rog/2rgr very similar style to Axesinger. I also played a drow 16bard/2ftr/2rog Axesinger with rapiers and repeaters. It's a very solid and versatile class split that you can tweak how you like.

If I were considering this question, this is what I'd think about:

You mentioned full ****** barb like. To me that says half-orc THF. Racial attack and damage bonuses align very nicely, especially with the minus from power attack to your To Hit. Remember you won't be a full BAB class. Divine power clickies and Madstone rage can overcome this. Also Cleaves are all the rage with the cool kids these days. Most players advocate going THF anyways up to level 6-10, even if the main focus is eventually a TWF.

TRs are usually about fast quest completions. Barbarian sprint boost and 10% movement rate help with that. The ability to cast invisibility from your mana pool makes it even better. Barb and Warchanter align nicely with some little extras. Keep in mind you can't cast while barb raged, but that doesn't mean you can't save it for burst DPS moments like large crowd clearing or boss fights. Barb also gives you Intimidate as a class skill if you choose to use the style of Intim + Cleave spamming.

Bards get a high reflex save. This works nicely with rogue and evasion, but it's not mandatory. I personally like 2 levels of rogue because it allows me to not worry about spell damage and just blitz through Blade Barriers, Fireballs, and the like. But even without evasion a high reflex + resists + elemental protection + gear (Firestorm Greaves) gets you through a lot. At high levels add in UMD'ing Fire/Ice Shield from scrolls.

Healing- there are different ways to accomplish this. You can cast from mana with your cure spells. Boost this through class enhancements, gear, and healing amp. You can combine this with the Quicken feat in higher levels. Also you can max Wand/Scroll Mastery. Wand whip and use potions in the early levels, switch to UMD'ing Heal scrolls in the higher levels. Since I tend to UMD Heal scrolls concentration check is very import to me. Evasion means I don't have to make a conc check against spell damage when using a scroll.

On my bards, no matter what class split or style, I tend to put max ranks into Concentration, Perform, and UMD. Some points into Balance so I can quickly get up from Wolf trips, Cometfalls, Giant stomps, Air Elemental knockdowns, etc. Taking Music of the Maker and Dead are powerful no matter what Prestige or play style you use because it allows you to control the pace of encounters with Fascinate on fleshies, elementals, constructs, and undead. Solo blitz to Yellow or Red Dungeon Alert and Fascinate. Pugging with a group and things take a turn for the worse? Fascinate, kill all, and UMD raise dead.

Level 7 bard is where it starts to get good because you have Haste, Rage (spell), Displacement, and Good Hope. If doing a bard/barb/rog split you may want to start with Rogue at level 1 for the largest number of skill points. Level 2 is up to you. If you take barb it gives you a little more in HP, movement rate, and sprint boost early on. If you take bard, it allows you to put skill points in Perform and UMD. So some leveling possibilities are:

rog/barbarian/bard 1-7
    rog/bard/barbarian/bard 2-7
    bard/barbarian/bard 2-7

Irinis has a great bard guide here, including a list of builds. While not exact, you may want to look at these builds in particular for inspiration on that list:

Leslie's Gengkis Kahn
    Nick's Epic Powerhouse
    Gunga's Ghetto Blaster

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=275472
    Last edited by Humperdink; 02-18-2013 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks for the great ideas, some definitely out if the box still 200k to cap so ill have a sleep on it

Cheers

I've done a couple of barb lives as 12/6/2 bard/barb/fighter. At 20, did a lr+4 and switched some bard to barb, and then immediately tr.

This was my plan for barb lives because after playing a pure barb to 20, I hated two things about it; total reliance on a nanny, and the one dimensional aspect of the melee got boring.

This turned out to be a really fun toon to play, and it's very versatile. Bard levels give fascinate, a rock solid cc tool that uses the perform skill rather than bard level and/or cha. This means you can dump cha and still use fascinate. Although the barb cc is generally rage/cleave/cleave/and more cleave, this allows for a choice.

12 bard levels gives you access to warchanter which gives 10 more hp, (you will need to use every bit of hp you can find) casting in medium armor with no spell penalty, and a song that gives you an increased chance at doublestrike.

Add this to the excellent utility spells like dimension door, remove disease/curse/poison, invis, blur, displace, and haste/rage. And these aren't just for you, they help the whole party.

You also get inherent UMD, and getting heals, ressurect, restore, etc on scroll is valid at mid/high levels. Wands are also usable. I didn't bother enhancing any healing power, but put max points into the scroll/wand lines and use UMD for healing. Again, this can help the whole party as well. You won't replace a real healer, but you can help out when the healer is down or busy. I've rezzed the healer any number of times.

The songs are gravy. Not really that big a deal, but they're free and you get a bunch, so why not? One nice advantage is that they cannot be dispelled by anti-magic, so beholders and such won't remove them.

And you can still rage away for max dps when feasible, like when there's a good healer in the party that doesn't mind you being a mana sponge. And even then, you can heal yourself up between rages and that helps the healer's mana a bit. You'd be surprised how much they appreciate that.

The only tricky aspect is that you can't cast while raged. It takes a little practice and planning to manage your rage. The dps drops off a little at 17+ levels, but up until that point, it's not hard to lead the kill count. And this is a very survivable toon if you play it smart. It's very, very hard to kill, offers excellent soloing, decent party support, and is quite fun. Definitely not one dimensional, and very self sufficient. It actually works well fighting alongside more traditional melee toons, as you can keep everyone haged, blurred, and songified, and occasionally toss out an emergency heal to a downed or almost downed melee compadre.

The two levels of fighter were just for the feats and for weapon profs early on. Feats are toughness, weapons focus slashing, (required for warchanter) power attack, the cleaves, Dodge, IC, and THF line. Enhancements are all over the map, I take just enough song enhancements for the wc pre... this gives you ok songs. I max out the wand and scroll mastery and use umd for healing, healing amp is always good, and the rest can go into whatever is important to you. Stats are maxxed STR and CON, and if there's enough left for 12 or 13 CHA, great. A little in dex can give you a little better reflex saves and a couple points of AC if you can fit them in.

The only weak spot in saves is Will. This toon dances and gets held a lot. Get a WIS item, and a resistance item if you can.

If you have any past lives, almost all of them will be useful... Arti for umd boost, wiz for spell pen might make disco ball land a bit more often as well as the charms and holds, sorc and fvs for spell points and spell pen, rogue active feat might be fun for a stealthy fascinate, bard gives you extra songs, barb some much needed hps, etc.

Happy hunting!