Community Member

Default Not enjoying fvs as much as I thought

A little help from those who seem to enjoy this sort of thing please

This fella was originally made as a mule toon (dwarven cleric for no particular reason that I recall) but I made the mistake of wanting him to be at least level 5. And so enjoyed playing a healer that he went on to 20 and beyond and because I am a bit ocd he now has to have three fvs and three cleric past lives. Don't ask.

But the first fvs life is sitting at 12 and the dps sux. I build my toons on what I feel like far more than anything else (so if that offends the purists and the minimaxers and the whatnots I apologise beforehand) and the only input I had was that human fvs was probably the way to go. So we did.

Is there anyway to improve dps or must I limp through to 20 being a mediocre healer and even more mediocre dps? I don't mind the support play, in fact I enjoyed it as a cleric. I just thought I'd have a little more umf than I seem to have.

I dunnkow how it happened but he is a silver flame host dude but doesn't use a bow... someone recently suggested I start adding ranger levels. Is this viable? I prefer spells but that ain't cutting it for me right now.

I have seen so many awesome fvs I thought it would be easy to play so hats off to those who make it look easy

Just a final background check - I play mostly solo with option to join me. I find it suits my impatient nature coupled with my desire to play with others perfectly.

Thanks and so on...

Community Member

Did you take blade barrier or heal at level 12?

Blade barrier makes levelling a breeze. Caster fvs is somewhat hard to get to level 12, but it's pretty easy after that.

Also make sure you have divine punishment for bosses.

Community Member

Blade Barrier of course

I'm happy to hear that actually. Last night in maid to order I did notice I was doing a lot of damage with the BB, just not getting the kills. (I know that isn't supposed to be a measure but I *like* getting the kills!)

Maybe I should just try a few solo's as I haven't really done any since I noticed I sucked. Perhaps I was just that little bit too impatient here

A. Make sure you take the prestige enhancement, it significantly increases spell damage and the lazer ball is handy.

B. Take Maximize and Empower Spell, and take the light damage enhancements

C. Use Blade Barrier for crowds and Divine Punishment for single targets. Be sure to stack DP.

With that stuff in play I have never found anything a Favored Soul can't murder quite effectively. I also tend to pick out a melee weapon for mine, something with lots of bonus damage rather than core damage.

If you invest in it Divine Punishment is gangbusters on single targets.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Do you have tier 2 angel of vengeance prestige ? + Maximize and empower.
    Ditch that garbage Chimera crown for Minos Legens. Fix this asap, no excuse for not having heavy fort from lvl 9 on a TR toon.
    Looking at your HP that Greensteel seems to be SP. And it's conc opp but your wisdom is low ish .
    Do you have a crafter ? Any guild slot or raid items ?

Get + 5 resistance somewhere ( Boots of the innocent, cloak ? ), impulse ( maybe craft on ring ), for radiance it's okay to have item to switch for boss nuking, don't have to wear radiance item full time.
    Should have greater false life item and 6 dex, low reflex is the most annoying thing while levelling !
    Also greater necro or evocation focus item is very nice to have at this level.
    I also " like " having superior stability crafted mithral shield for +6 saves for running through traps or caster heavy situations, but it's not necessary
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Default Practice makes perfect!

FVS is all about delayed gratification. You are getting up to the levels where melee DPS isn't really going to work for you unless you throw lots of feats and enhancements at it, and there are much better uses for those.

Yes, the deep pool of SP is great, but getting fewer spells and later needs you to plan your progression meticulously. If, as I suspect, this is not your style, then get out there and experiment until it feels right. Visit the trainer, swap stuff, spend an hour in the Sands playing with it.

I didn't really get the hang of Blade barrier till about the Vale. Yes, I know, slow on the uptake! In the right circumstances (soloing, many low HP trash, enough space) it is literally magic. In the wrong ones (unhelpful group, few high HP mobs, no room) it is just a hindrance. In particular, don't use it in a group with Melees unless they know how to take advantage. I won't insult you with advice on positioning, timing and strategy, but it really helps to practice and watch what happens. You will find that user skill is more important than high Impact SP or Evoker levels.

And light spells. Get the PRE, get some gear, buff up your light SP, and make your DP into a killer. Later, the archon and even things like Nimbus of light become useful because the damage keeps ramping up with caster level (unlike BB, which caps at L15)

Healing? Meh, that's for when you're feeling lazy!

Brunhildha
    www.LegendsGuild.eu - on Thelanis
    Niwareka (Tempest Ranger); Hiacynthe (Happy Monk); Juss (Kensai Fighter); Brunhildha (Stroppy healer); Sharkee (Dirty old Shenanigan); Kawariki (Confused drow wizard)

For background: my first 3 lives were wizard (pure 20, then 2 x 18/2 wiz/rogue) and my fourth life was FvS. Now at level 7 on my first sorcerer life).

For my FvS life I went Half-elf w/fighter dillie and maxed Wis, secondary into Con/Cha and the rest into Str. Picked up my Carnifex and Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone at level 5 and went to town. Evoker/healer build.

The spellcasting at lower levels was a little lacklustre tbh. I actually found myself mostly using soundbursts for the stun and then meleeing a lot. After level 12 (BB yay!) things really picked up. In the lower/mid teens I stopped meleeing so much and later on, between BB/Implosion/Cometfall/Greater Command, FvS was a hell of a lot of fun.

Sorc is fun too, don't get me wrong--but after 3 wizard lives and a FvS, it feels like something of a one trick pony. I'm thinking of packing in another couple of Sorc lives for the Evo DCs but then it's back to FvS a couple more times. I don't think I'll miss sorc. I know I'll miss FvS later on (final life plan is wizard).

Long story short: hang in there. Make another GS item for the sp/hp (whichever the one you have doesn't have). Put on a Minos. FvS is backloaded and is a bit slow to get going, but once you get it rolling, it's a ton of fun.
    Heatherx Rgr12/Arti6/Rog2 (PL: 3 Wiz; 1 FvS; 2 Sor; 1 Clr; 1 Arti; 1 Rog)
    Toryen Warchanter 22 ~ Treslyn Cleric 24 ~ Lohikaerme Druid 23 ~ Khenshii Monk 20

Heroes of Light and Darkness ~ Argonnessen

Community Member

Thanks guys A lot of positive information I can take from this!

DP check (will visit the trainer first thing
    AoV II check (see above)
    2nd GS Item check (love shroud and can prolly make one now)
    Minos check (farm Orchard and see if above makes a difference)

That and the other stuff and I'm feeling a lot better about the fvs

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by cyghost View Post
    he now has to have three fvs and three cleric past lives. Don't ask.
    But...I want to ask!

I know what you get from 3 Clr past lives, and I know what FvS past life gives. But one thing FvS gives, you get twice as much of from Wiz, and the other thing FvS gives, you get the same plus a very useful DC boost from Sorc.

I'm stumped why you'd want 3 FvS PLs but not be more interested in Wiz or Sorc past lives.

So...I didn't come right out and ask, but feel free to comment.

Community Member

Divine Punishment is AWESOME

In my mind the cleric and fvs are healing types (I know, I know they can be melee and battle clerics and whatnot, we're talking bout my mind ok?)

So. That grouping is firmly set. It has very little to do with past live bonuses as much as past lives period.

I have a sorc on 2nd life sorc and he will be 3 sorc / 3 wiz.

But my main project is an uber monk who needs to have 18 past lives - all the melee past lives see? Him being only on paladin 1st life with one monk and one barb behind him, is where my actual focus lies. He is waiting for some friends to TR and catch up which is why I had time for my fvs recently. (dear god I don't know how people run 14 toons!!)

Perhaps. One day. When he has made these 18 lives, I'll consider completionisting him. And then my casters can do some extra castings. Like my sorc can do some cleric / fvs and the healer some wiz / sorc.

/shudders

You just had to ask didn't ya!? XD

Quote Originally Posted by cyghost View Post
    (dear god I don't know how people run 14 toons!!)
    Try 40!

24 on Cannith
    10 on Sarlona
    3 on Khyber
    2 on Thelanis
    1 on Wayfinder {OK so after stoning the Wayfinder character to 16 I haven't really played him since}.

Community Member

I have no idea how people do 40 past lives or 40 toons. I can play 10 hours a week and feel like I barely progress, it seems like some people must play 80.

I just finished my first FvS: 2 PLs fighter and Barb. I went human for extra feat, put my
    Levels into wisdom for some increased DCs might LF and put them into strength. I haven't made a green steel SP con opp item yet but I had a blast with the FvS class, it's definitely one of my favorites between monk, barb, FvS.

I have empower, maximiZe and heighten running at all times along with quicken, I'm wielding epic antique GA, with fan gauntlets and bracers ATM (have enough to make epic claw set but not sure), I am also just scroll short of epic abashi set for +3 str and +3 evo DCs; my wisdom buffed is around 44-46, str is around 38, I'm obviously not the highest dps but my BB and destruction and implosion I can kick quite a bit of ass in all epics haven't been into the new GH stuff yet but underdark and stuff I wreck it, love FvS glad your figuring lil more stuff out now.
    I feel at home in the darkness, when its just me and my blades...when the hunter takes over!