Thread: crafting build

Community Member

Default crafting build

I'm about to unlock Artificer and plan to create a crafting character.

Would someone point me to a good build, please?

and

What should I know before I get started?

For a crafter, I think most people suggest take human as a race and then take the dragon marks of making, it gives a nice boost to crafting levels and abilities. Perhaps someone else can suggest a specific build, but I'm not sure I've seen one on the forums. Maybe check out the wiki for artificer and/or crafting which gives some general infor as well.
    Have fun.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Pretty certain human arty with DM of Making would be superior crafter; there are no other bonuses to crafting other than those granted by that set up.
    When you stand out in the rain, you get wet.

The Long Shot - where I write about stuff: www.thelongshotist.com

Stats distro would be pretty much standard for any arti, max Intelligence, min 14 con, rest into dexterity if you want to level some? I suppose leftover points into Charisma if you plan on doing some buying and selling.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Quote Originally Posted by wonko_the_sane View Post

and

What should I know before I get started?
    If it is just for crafting...

Human for dragonmarks of making and some free repair spells.
    Enough dex to pick up Improved Precise Shot to make leveling easier.
    Max out Intelligence for xbow damage. You should have enough skill points to max out trap skills, UMD, and haggle.

Do most of your crafting at low levels before you get the crafting bonuses and/or dragonmarks. Once you are close to where you want to be in crafting levels, then pick up your 20 bonus crafting levels by leveling your character. That way the most expensive levels you planned to grind out are free instead. If you want more crafting levels later, run a TR to ditch those bonus levels again to make the grind cheaper again.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by wonko_the_sane View Post

You're looking for waxy's Einstein build. Waxy left the game, though, so don't expect it to be updated into a more modern build. I'm sure it still works fine, if a little thin on self-healing.

I think in today's game, the best crafter alt is probably a Juggernaut. It has no dragonmarks and only takes 16 artie levels so you're only looking at 8 bonus levels total, but hey, it's an artie.