Default Which would make the best petmaster?

So I'm looking over Druid and how the PL feat for it gives +2 boosting akin to Augment Summoning to pets/hirelings/special summons/etc.

Does the Druid have elements aside from just a really good PL feat to back this up? I haven't managed to look too much further at the moment, but with the downtime I figured I'd ask and see what the Druid players have to say.

My own usual playstyle is more pet based to help get the damage out/keep mobs off me while I lay down the damage and CC on my Pale Master, and I'm pretty happy with it at the moment but I'll have a good laugh if the Druid would be a better bet at it.

Druids get spells to buff their summons. They are by far the best pet class in the game.

Pack Presence : Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack. The caster chooses to reduce or increase his or her minions' hate generation by 75%.The spell affects all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures. The more hate a creature generates, the more likely that its enemies will choose to attack it. If the caster chooses to increase hate generation, then casting the spell causes the caster's hirelings and pets to do an intimidate check with a +20 circumstance bonus to creatures around them.

Harrowing Pack : Valid Forms: Wolf, Winter Wolf. The wolf pack hounds their prey, attacking from all sides. Grants the caster and all of his or her hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a +2 enhancement bonus to flanking attacks, and granting them a knockdown effect when they roll a 20 on attack rolls.

Pack Aptitude: Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack, granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures a circumstance bonus to an ability score. It grants a +2 bonus per 3 caster levels, with a maximum of +6. The caster chooses which ability score to increase. Only one may be active at a time.

Tenacious Pack : Forms a link between a leader and his or her pack, granting all of the target's hirelings, pets, summoned creatures, and charmed creatures an enhancement bonus to fortification and positive healing amplification. The bonus begins at 15%, with an additional 3% per caster level beyond caster level 11, to a maximum of 39% at level 20.

master blaster

Community Member

Druids get various Fire, earth, water and Air elementals, but none of them really impressed me. If i summon something it's special circumstances.. Say a Fire elemental at the end of Enter the Kobold, immunity to fire while you beat down the boss... good distraction, and with a few druid PLs plus augment summons (which i verified stats this last life) it can last a while. If i want a pet just to whack things i use the 9th level dryad, she was more amusing than the other option.

If you're wanting just a tougher pet my money is on the arti dog, those things can be very tough while still bluffing and sneak attacking.

For summons i'd think the necromancer undead would be better than the elementals from druids, though i never really tried necro pets. Not much good with a wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by smeggy1384 View Post
    Druids get various Fire, earth, water and Air elementals, but none of them really impressed me. If i summon something it's special circumstances.. Say a Fire elemental at the end of Enter the Kobold, immunity to fire while you beat down the boss... good distraction, and with a few druid PLs plus augment summons (which i verified stats this last life) it can last a while. If i want a pet just to whack things i use the 9th level dryad, she was more amusing than the other option.

If you're wanting just a tougher pet my money is on the arti dog, those things can be very tough while still bluffing and sneak attacking.

For summons i'd think the necromancer undead would be better than the elementals from druids, though i never really tried necro pets. Not much good with a wizard.
    The necro pets were underpowered when they came out- comparing them to the game now, they're.. not even a distraction.

Add in that Druid and Arti get actual, real pets..

So yes; At the moment the druid is equal in terms of best direct pet, equal in terms of best summonable creatures [contrary to what was mentioned, they have non-elemental summons such as dryads], and superior in all other pet-based factors.

Of course, you'll be relying on the magister or primal avatar epic summon for your end-game summonable creatures; As such you're left with Arti still being comparable for it in all respects other than pack buffing spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Hm, but absolutely must be in wolf form to cast those, eh? Still, between that and the healing it could be made to work. Bears thinking about, honestly.

So I assume it's Wolf friend, you, whatever summon, and a hireling if you decided to bring one, right? And the Nature Ally can be healed by your spells, and these buffs, and PL and Augment...yeah, could be a right meatgrinder pretty quick. Picking your ability buff helps too, but meh on the form requirement, myself.

Still, looks like it's worth saving up for, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingrage View Post
    Hm, but absolutely must be in wolf form to cast those, eh? Still, between that and the healing it could be made to work. Bears thinking about, honestly.

So I assume it's Wolf friend, you, whatever summon, and a hireling if you decided to bring one, right? And the Nature Ally can be healed by your spells, and these buffs, and PL and Augment...yeah, could be a right meatgrinder pretty quick. Picking your ability buff helps too, but meh on the form requirement, myself.

Still, looks like it's worth saving up for, either way.
    Harrowing Pack is the only one you need to be in wolf form I think.
    Buff your puppy, get a hire, summon whatever, throw on some buffs and with the druid destinies you will clear rooms faster than most pugs XD