Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    This should be in offtopic not general, but other than that, why would it be locked? People discuss other games all the time
    Actually if the OP would have posted what he liked about NWO vs DDO directly about the controls, that could have kept it in general, honestly. It would have been good feedback.

Instead it is outbox material.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    All I want from Neverwinter Online is some form of competition with Turbine. That players are claiming Ranged combat is decent over there should hopefully encourage Turbine to consider making it better over here.
    Same. 90ish% of DDO is awesome, 10ish% is just so mind-bogglingly retarded that some competition with hopefully light a fight under the correct butts at Turbine/WB and make the game better.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

The combat rooting and the lack of customization are tied hand and hand for the worst feature of nwo.

I'm looking forward to playing Neverwinter too--but despite the fact it's set in the D&D world, it's bastardized the class options so much that it's not really D&D. What I wonder is how many of this game's players are going to be drawn away from this game?

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    I'm looking forward to playing Neverwinter too--but despite the fact it's set in the D&D world, it's bastardized the class options so much that it's not really D&D. What I wonder is how many of this game's players are going to be drawn away from this game?
    If it attracts the kind of players I think that it will, it could actually be a good thing for DDO.
    I tried the beta last night, at least as long as I could (3 hours ish?). The interface gave me a splitting migraine. My other issues, like absolute lack of character customization, rooted combat, boring open world repetitive monotony have already been mostly addressed by other posters already (did I mention you actually face the arch lich at level 1, and she is so impressed with you she stops long enough to not kill you, but takes the time to summon a boss for you to fight). I did not even find it all that much visually pleasing. The best it has going for it is that it is new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

From everything I have read about NW, I have decided I will wait until the game is released and just play the F2P version and make my judgment from there. From all the videos I have watched and reviews I have read it just doesn't look like my cup of tea. I will probably play it a little bit for the same reason I play LOTRO a little bit, to enjoy a different graphical experience and experience some new lore about the setting. But I haven't seen anything yet that really makes me want to invest actual money in it. DDO has the best gameplay experience I have ever seen in an MMO. There are so many customizable options aside from gear, and combat is so dynamic. That's what really grabs me. NW looks flashy and pretty, with little customization (although I realize this is just in Beta and might change with time) and rather boring combat mechanics.

I haven't personally played the game so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. But I just don't see anything that really gets me worked up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Eye candy is great and all... but I just cannot get enthusiastic about anything that hews close to 4e.
    Heh it's even worse than 4e, they took 4e stripped it down, took away choices you did have in 4e and then dumbed it down some more and then forced everyone into the same "builds".

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    The melee classes are somewhat more locked into what type they are, however NW has DDOs ranged beat by a mile, and it hasnt even been released yet. They arent afraid to allow realistic ranged DPS, and dont cater to the myth that it absolutely has to be like half what a melee can do because somehow automagically melee takes more damage (which is also not true in NW because the ranged PCs are equally dangerous, and not just stand-ins that allow casters to torq up).
    They only allow realistic ranged dps by nerfing moving with rooting. They didn't have rooting originally but this made ranged combat and kiting an issue.

It was better without the rooting and frankly I would have rather they nerfed just ranged combat somewhat rather than nerf everyone to allow ranged or even better yet find a better way to balance things.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 03-12-2013 at 01:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Your kidding right the graphics for characters in NWO are so far beyond ugly its scary the best looking character there is uglier than the ugliest half-elf here. I wont even go into game play and combat

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    Are the character customization options any good?
    Not really

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Can you get in Beta without buying a founders pack?

I logged on to SWTOR yesterday and revved up ol' Flan Solo the Smuggler out of boredom and remembered how much I hate the feel of the movement.

Side note - I doubt this will be locked but I'm sure it will be moved to "off-topic".

I got access for a weekend by buying a issue of PC Gamer it gave a horse you could get at 5th level as well wish I could have passed what was left of my weekend and my horse to someone who might have enjoyed it but I see no way they could improve the game enough to ever interest me in going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I love the fact that in this day and age of gaming, you like to be forced to stand still, and do NOT move, in order to swing a weapon.

It gives such a great feel of.... turn based in real time. All while everything else just moves/dodges away from you laughing at your lead feet.

Granted maybe it is just standard MMO which means as soon as the attack is engaged, it doesn't matter if they are next to you or 3 miles away. You are hit. Why do we love that? Because it is so realistic man!
    Not sure what your saying but that aspect of combat really annoyed me.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Per the NWN developers they purposely did not want to put fighting while moving in the game. From the look of it and per the MMO guest player te game looks dumbed down, maybe for kids? It has been compared by the developers themselves to a Diablo style of run over the loot to pick it items system. It also has a little less focus on character customization as DDO does.

In summary although I love most if not nearly all things D&D NWN does not have any appeal to me over DDO. The DDO team just needs to continue their Forgotten Realms expansion.
    While I hate the better they were forgotten realms beyond belief I would stay here if everything else was put there before going back to NWO

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Not sure what your saying but that aspect of combat really annoyed me.
    In many MMO's it makes no difference whether your moving or not, the mob is going to hit you, even if it looks like you have 'dodged' the attack. Its one of the great things about DDO, its also I bet a big source of potential lag, because the server and client are constantly trying to communicate about position and whether you can hit the mob or the mob can hit you. In other games you could appear to jump back 10 feet, but then you still get hit as if it was standing next to you.

If that is the case about NWO combat... count me out.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    In many MMO's it makes no difference whether your moving or not, the mob is going to hit you, even if it looks like you have 'dodged' the attack. Its one of the great things about DDO, its also I bet a big source of potential lag, because the server and client are constantly trying to communicate about position and whether you can hit the mob or the mob can hit you. In other games you could appear to jump back 10 feet, but then you still get hit as if it was standing next to you.

If that is the case about NWO combat... count me out.
    I've watched a few gameplay vids, and it looks like you can manually dodge attacks. BUT, mobs are bearly aggressive, they attack at an eighth the rate of the player, and if you are in a 4 on one situation, one mob attacks while the other 3 look at you.

The combat looks incredibly dull, boring, stupid, but flashy, lots of explosions coming off of that greatclub as it hits the ground... must have hit a landmine or something, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    Heh it's even worse than 4e, they took 4e stripped it down, took away choices you did have in 4e and then dumbed it down some more and then forced everyone into the same "builds".
    More like 4e took MMOs, stripped them down, and made a PnP game out of it. Now theres another MMO using what appears to be simplified 4e rules to a D&D fan, but looks par for the course to anyone who has played MMOs for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    They only allow realistic ranged dps by nerfing moving with rooting. They didn't have rooting originally but this made ranged combat and kiting an issue.

It was better without the rooting and frankly I would have rather they nerfed just ranged combat somewhat rather than nerf everyone to allow ranged or even better yet find a better way to balance things.
    Thats just it, no nerf necessary. Their ranged is superior, on day one. People dont have to worry about building a good toon to just have it nerfed into the ground.
    Last edited by Chai; 03-12-2013 at 07:44 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    More like 4e took MMOs, stripped them down, and made a PnP game out of it. Now theres another MMO using what appears to be simplified 4e rules to a D&D fan, but looks par for the course to anyone who has played MMOs for a long time.

Thats just it, no nerf necessary. Their ranged is superior, on day one. People dont have to worry about building a good toon to just have it nerfed into the ground.
    As someone who has been in the alphas I can tell you they didn't have rooting at first they added to make range classes viable compared to melee. When I say nerfed I don't mean damage but the fact you could have kited stuff without it ever touching you.

As for 4e they don`t use 4e but a bastardized 4e, they took 4e and stripped it down to it`s very bare essentials and even then cut a lot out of it.

Its a good MMO (if you can stomach the rooting BS) but sadly not much of DnD game other than in name. Also rooting isn't much of an issue till you hit the high levels.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 03-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Community Member

Is this "rooting" set in stone or are they considering removing it?
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    I've watched a few gameplay vids, and it looks like you can manually dodge attacks. BUT, mobs are bearly aggressive, they attack at an eighth the rate of the player, and if you are in a 4 on one situation, one mob attacks while the other 3 look at you.

The combat looks incredibly dull, boring, stupid, but flashy, lots of explosions coming off of that greatclub as it hits the ground... must have hit a landmine or something, who knows.
    Ah exactly like Champions then, too bad.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

BUT, mobs are bearly aggressive, they attack at an eighth the rate of the player, and if you are in a 4 on one situation, one mob attacks while the other 3 look at you.
    This is just not true. Only in the very early game are mobs not aggressive. Levels 1-10 are kind of like Korthos/Harbor difficulty. Then the bar begins to rise, and the game really begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Is this "rooting" set in stone or are they considering removing it?
    No. The large majority of the alpha (so I hear) and beta teams are against it. When I spoke to Andy Velasquez, the Lead Producer (great guy by the way, and much more in tune with the player base than the gentleman in the same position over here I feel), he said they are working on a system that will not completely eliminate the rooting, but alter it so it works much smoother, but doesn't lose the realism.

My proposed fix was to completely eliminate the rooting, but allow an attack penalty plus provide attacks of opportunity to nearby mobs when moving.

The game is still probably 3-6 months away from launching. Lots of coding left to do. So far they are listening to the playerbase. Interesting to see what happens, especially with character customization and combat on the development front.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 03-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

*raises an eyebrow*
    They attack that seldom? That can't be right and I hope that is only for the beta testing, honestly, because that makes no sense for actual release combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Ah exactly like Champions then, too bad.
    Flashy combat? Sure,b ut the mob rate of attack? CO was not that cruddy near relase or even after release. Heck after day Zero nerf, 4 average mobs could slaughter you if you weren't careful.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 03-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast