Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Neverwinter Feels great

one thing i hated about DDO other then outdated graphics was the controls i believe neverwinter got them spot on, got to play in beta and it feels great!

Hey look, I posted before it was locked...yay!
    Cevon - Nature's Arrow (17 Dru/2 Mnk/1 Wiz HE AA), Shorlong - Pale Master (18 Wiz/2 Monk)
    Gorgnak - Frenzied Barbarian, Krazig - Dark Knight Paladin
    Xanapheia - Fighting Soul (18 FvS/2 Ftr), Addanc - Bearbarian Tank (12 Dru/6 Ftr/2 Brb)
    Thelanis - Leader of The Dark Creed

Quote Originally Posted by FZTopaz View Post
    This should be in offtopic not general, but other than that, why would it be locked? People discuss other games all the time

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    This should be in offtopic not general, but other than that, why would it be locked? People discuss other games all the time
    Actually if the OP would have posted what he liked about NWO vs DDO directly about the controls, that could have kept it in general, honestly. It would have been good feedback.

Instead it is outbox material.

The combat rooting and the lack of customization are tied hand and hand for the worst feature of nwo.

I'm looking forward to playing Neverwinter too--but despite the fact it's set in the D&D world, it's bastardized the class options so much that it's not really D&D. What I wonder is how many of this game's players are going to be drawn away from this game?

Quote Originally Posted by waryJerry View Post
    I'm looking forward to playing Neverwinter too--but despite the fact it's set in the D&D world, it's bastardized the class options so much that it's not really D&D. What I wonder is how many of this game's players are going to be drawn away from this game?
    If it attracts the kind of players I think that it will, it could actually be a good thing for DDO.
    I tried the beta last night, at least as long as I could (3 hours ish?). The interface gave me a splitting migraine. My other issues, like absolute lack of character customization, rooted combat, boring open world repetitive monotony have already been mostly addressed by other posters already (did I mention you actually face the arch lich at level 1, and she is so impressed with you she stops long enough to not kill you, but takes the time to summon a boss for you to fight). I did not even find it all that much visually pleasing. The best it has going for it is that it is new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

From everything I have read about NW, I have decided I will wait until the game is released and just play the F2P version and make my judgment from there. From all the videos I have watched and reviews I have read it just doesn't look like my cup of tea. I will probably play it a little bit for the same reason I play LOTRO a little bit, to enjoy a different graphical experience and experience some new lore about the setting. But I haven't seen anything yet that really makes me want to invest actual money in it. DDO has the best gameplay experience I have ever seen in an MMO. There are so many customizable options aside from gear, and combat is so dynamic. That's what really grabs me. NW looks flashy and pretty, with little customization (although I realize this is just in Beta and might change with time) and rather boring combat mechanics.

I haven't personally played the game so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. But I just don't see anything that really gets me worked up yet.

Community Member

Is this "rooting" set in stone or are they considering removing it?
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    BUT, mobs are bearly aggressive, they attack at an eighth the rate of the player, and if you are in a 4 on one situation, one mob attacks while the other 3 look at you.
    This is just not true. Only in the very early game are mobs not aggressive. Levels 1-10 are kind of like Korthos/Harbor difficulty. Then the bar begins to rise, and the game really begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape_Man View Post
    Is this "rooting" set in stone or are they considering removing it?
    No. The large majority of the alpha (so I hear) and beta teams are against it. When I spoke to Andy Velasquez, the Lead Producer (great guy by the way, and much more in tune with the player base than the gentleman in the same position over here I feel), he said they are working on a system that will not completely eliminate the rooting, but alter it so it works much smoother, but doesn't lose the realism.

My proposed fix was to completely eliminate the rooting, but allow an attack penalty plus provide attacks of opportunity to nearby mobs when moving.

The game is still probably 3-6 months away from launching. Lots of coding left to do. So far they are listening to the playerbase. Interesting to see what happens, especially with character customization and combat on the development front.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 03-12-2013 at 12:52 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Default My 2 cp

My 2 cp worth

I made me a Smigit dwarf there, played like 10 hours total over the 3 days.
    Got 4k from level 19 only died 2 times and incapacitated once.
    Better than ddo? Not by a long shot.
    Somethings are better most are not.
    First as was pointed out DDO is 7 years old.
    So memory usage in neverwinter was much better than DDO.
    Yes I did get lag at times just as bad if not worse than DDO.
    The entire Shard where I was got booted at one point.
    I like the glittering quest trail you can pop up so you have a route to follow.
    Some of the Town stuff looks a bit better than DDO.
    Character looks go to DDO.
    Yes neverwinter is more Wow like than DDO like.
    Where I would rate Wow a 3 DDO a 7 I would put Neverwinter in a solid 5.
    Will I leave DDO for it? No!
    Will I play Neverwinter? yes.
    It will be a place for me to escape DDO at times for some mindless hack and slash entertainment.
    The weekend of the 22nd I will play a bit in Neverwinter hope they do not clear the Shard.
    As for someone saying the graphics hurts their head. That was or is my problem with Wow.
    96 I had a major head injury ending up in a 34 day coma and have had a head ache since.
    I have tried Rift when in Beta, Rise of the Immortals Beta and a few others, to me DDO still rules.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

A comparison between controls to another game should not get this locked in the General area. But I've seen stranger things. How is the combat compared to DDO's run and slash. I heard/seen video about stand and fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    A comparison between controls to another game should not get this locked in the General area. But I've seen stranger things. How is the combat compared to DDO's run and slash. I heard/seen video about stand and fighting
    Per the NWN developers they purposely did not want to put fighting while moving in the game. From the look of it and per the MMO guest player te game looks dumbed down, maybe for kids? It has been compared by the developers themselves to a Diablo style of run over the loot to pick it items system. It also has a little less focus on character customization as DDO does.

In summary although I love most if not nearly all things D&D NWN does not have any appeal to me over DDO. The DDO team just needs to continue their Forgotten Realms expansion.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Quote Originally Posted by shores11 View Post
    Per the NWN developers they purposely did not want to put fighting while moving in the game. From the look of it and per the MMO guest player te game looks dumbed down, maybe for kids? It has been compared by the developers themselves to a Diablo style of run over the loot to pick it items system. It also has a little less focus on character customization as DDO does.

In summary although I love most if not nearly all things D&D NWN does not have any appeal to me over DDO. The DDO team just needs to continue their Forgotten Realms expansion.
    While I hate the better they were forgotten realms beyond belief I would stay here if everything else was put there before going back to NWO

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

You are safe,
    No-one from Turbine is policing the forums today - they are all too busy running around tearing their hair out/counting their OT money/hiding under their desk or clearing said desk after getting the blame for today's long term visit from Mr ****-up
    "Im-plo-sion: For when you just absolutely HAVE to kill every M*****-F***** in the room".
    (Samuel L Jackson)
    Alts: Mercilless, Relenttless, Maliciouss: The Silence sisters.

Default Ok??

You like a game... Want a cookie?
    Darkrune TRx2 lvl 20 FvS, Darkdivinity lvl 20 cleric, Darkaxe lvl 20 fighter, Darktune TRx1 lvl 4bard, Darkbow lvl 20 AA Ranger, Darksoldier TRx1 lvl 20 Barb, Darkspells TRx2 lvl 20 Wizard, Darkbattle TRx1 lvl 20 artificer, Darktemper lvl 17 Ranger, Darkfists TRx1 lvl 20 Monk, Darkherald lvl 5 paladin Guild Leader of No Politics Thelanis Server

Community Member Avenging_Angel's Avatar

From a recent interview with the devs:

TB: "How is this different from DDO?"
    Dev: [pause] "Well, it's set in the Forgotten Realms. We love the Forgotten Realms".

Ok...

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by darkrune View Post
    You like a game... Want a cookie?
    Why does this thread exist? Was this an attempt to mildly annoy the community, failtrolling, a 14yo looking for attention... you tell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    No matter what you post, there is always someone who responds with something like "Unless you are gimped, you should be able to do this with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back." It gets a little tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadus79 View Post
    one thing i hated about DDO other then outdated graphics was the controls i believe neverwinter got them spot on, got to play in beta and it feels great!
    If i want that kind of a game, i pick up my remote and watch a movie

Quote Originally Posted by Shadus79 View Post
    Are the character customization options any good?
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

Controls are terrible, customization nearly plain 0, all in all terribly dull ... really sad to say, but that's how it is, and coming from someone who really enjoyed the original game and had some expectations on the new

Combat is like hit left mouse button watch all die around, if you strain yourself hitting keys simply speeds up the process

All in all ... unworthy, very

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeromio View Post
    Are the character customization options any good?
    Proud member of Lotusfly's squelch list!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast