Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Neverwinter beta weekend

Whos checking it out?

Got a spare key if any friends on khyber want it.

Server: Dragon if you get in (though appears to be just the one for this weekend).
    Last edited by Shade; 03-08-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Finally got my log in issues cleared up I will be playing a little but lots of homework to do plus its my 50th so will be celebrating that more. Wish they had given me a different weekend Not expectng much though from the game but maybe they will surprise me.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

I realize that I don't know you but I would gladly take the beta key if your friends aren't interested.

From everything I've heard about it, and everything I surmise about you from your posts here, I can't imagine you'd be interested. Would the cookie-cutter builds and such be, what, relaxing compared to DDO?

I know I play some games specifically for their lack of thought, because I have to think so much in Real Life. Is that the appeal here?

Community Member

Axer with all due respect, why are you posting Neverwinter stuff on DDO forums?
    RTFM on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    Axer with all due respect, why are you posting Neverwinter stuff on DDO forums?
    Its off topic. Fair game.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Not me. The more I read about that game, the more my interest dwindles away to nothingless. WHich makes me a sad turtle, when I'd first heard about it I had high hopes for a game that would surpass ddo, not taking several giant steps back from it. The lack of choices for builds really kills it for me.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Exactly. Same reason why there is the post about the planscape kickstarter.

Competition is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Last time I saw it, this thread was on the Khyber forums. So, depending on when the question was asked it was a pretty fair question.

Everything I've seen about Neverwinter has made me want to have nothing to do with it. Sure, it has some shiny new paint and thus it looks pretty... but a gilded turd is still a turd.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

I am mainly trying it because of Lesliewest-guitargod

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post

Everything I've seen about Neverwinter has made me want to have nothing to do with it. Sure, it has some shiny new paint and thus it looks pretty... but a gilded turd is still a turd.
    This. And things change so much between beta and the final product, I'd rather see the finished product as it was intended by the developers, not a rushed version with known bugs and missing races/classes/abilities/gear/mechanics that will be added later.

I might check out Neverwinter if it gets better reviews than it has been after it gets released. My main interest is still the foundry/forge/whatever so until I can actually play with a finished, working version of that, I 'm not really interested in beta.

Neverwinter is a different game than DDO. Character development, and the classes themselves are still under active development. This is not really a polished launch, or even really a soft launch. Its exactly what beta used to mean, a testing phase. It will probably look quite polished for those who give it a whirl for the first time, however.

Character creation includes dice rolls, which are somewhat limited at this point to what you can get. However, it is still very possible to roll good and bad, and you can keep roling until you get what you want, or as close as it will let you. Stats do matter in Neverwinter as much as they do in DDO, and directly feed into your powers. You get to choose your feats, as well as level up points, so character creation has been evolving into a pretty decent system. Powers are selectable back at camp and in the battlefield, so the entire system is pretty flexible. Even though it is 4e, and that it will take some time to adjust to, especially to old school purists like me who have long despised 4e, I must say the powers are all quite different and many of them feel and look great on the screen.

You will still not catch me playing 4e on the tabletop... but as a computer game, I find Cryptic has done the impossible, and has proven out WotC's words that 4e was designed for computer play. They were right.

For DDOers that can get past the 4e facade, they may find the game fun to play.

In 3.5 it helps to be a build architect to take advantage of certain perks. Epic Destinies has dulled much of the need to specialize or run hardcore like we used to do. Its pretty darn easy now to build whatever you want in DDO for most folks. A little nudge to help a friend/guildie however can still assist them greatly however. Neverwinter does away with a lot of the BS in building and just lets you build the toon you want to play. Might not mean as much to builders like me who actually have enjoyed and still do enjoy building toons in DDO, but it'll be huge to others. All I care about is the toon is built the way I want to play it, it plays well, and of course is fun to play.

That covers I think what DDOers may stumble on when they first sign on. As for the content, the feel, and the art design, those are the meat and potatoes of Neverwinter. The towns bleed and breathe Forgotten Realms. They feel more alive than the public zones do here in DDO, and the wild zones are far better integrated. There's simply a D&D feel everywhere you go.

Lastly, the community is very similar to ours here in DDO. Id say there's a larger percentage of old school D&D role players who are looking forward to designing great content. Check out some of the Foundry missions that are up if you have the time. They are fantastic.

Anyhow just wanted to answer some of the questions folks have been sending me.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 03-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

Mem, you should take that key and join us

cap increased to 40 for this beta btw axe
    and control wizzy is playable this time
    Last edited by Jay203; 03-08-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

I can not wait until it goes public. I have a few guildies that have been giving it a spin and it sounds like it will be a lot of fun for those times I want some mindless fun. It doesn't sound like it will make me quit DDO but it does sound like a fun side game.

Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    I’m only nerfing you now so I can buff you later.

Sounds great Dawnsfire. Yeah Im 7 years invested in DDO, and still relatively happy (I am ****ed at some recent developments and all the bugs like many others). This is a great game #2 for me, and its allowed us to expand our guild into another great D&D community. Ive been far more impressed with Neverwinter tho than I thought Id be, so I think my playtime will be split 50-50. They are both F2P, so nothing to lose, ya know!?

No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!

**** game...Simply Champions Online plastered with D&D.. Horrible control, unless you liked Champions.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    **** game...Simply Champions Online plastered with D&D.. Horrible control, unless you liked Champions.....
    Vastly upgraded engine. Champions was not created by Cryptic. This engine was totally reconstructed to the point you might as well call it a new engine. I played CO. There are a few similarities, but for 99+% of the gameplay, this reminds me nothing of CO (thank God). For all intents and purposes this is a brand new engine. The engine allows powers (spells, other combat animations) that simply would not be possible under DDOs engine.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Vastly upgraded engine. Champions was not created by Cryptic. This engine was totally reconstructed to the point you might as well call it a new engine. I played CO. There are a few similarities, but for 99+% of the gameplay, this reminds me nothing of CO (thank God).
    Champions WAS created by Cryptic, complete down to the ruleset that got published after the game was released.

I played CO for a few years, and everything I saw in videos talking about the character classes I saw direct rips. I did not watch the developer walk though for more than a few moments.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Vastly upgraded engine. Champions was not created by Cryptic. This engine was totally reconstructed to the point you might as well call it a new engine. I played CO. There are a few similarities, but for 99+% of the gameplay, this reminds me nothing of CO (thank God). For all intents and purposes this is a brand new engine. The engine allows powers (spells, other combat animations) that simply would not be possible under DDOs engine.
    "Neverwinter is being built with a modified version of the same engine used for Cryptic's two most recent MMORPGs -- Star Trek Online and Champions Online."

It is not a new engine...It is the same engine but tweaked ( taken out the cel-shading which was the comic book look )

And you might want to check your facts...CO WAS made by Cryptic. After they picked up the rights for it, they changed everything that was previously developed for it.
    Last edited by dredre9987; 03-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by psteen1 View Post
    I realize that I don't know you but I would gladly take the beta key if your friends aren't interested.
    You may be able to get a key here if they have any left:
    http://www.gamestar.de/keyverlosunge...rwinter,2.html

Else pcgamer has some too, tho youll need to find a copy of the neverwinter pcgamer issue, or a friend that has it.

and imo the khyber forum was an appropriate place, the forum should be able to host anything the community of players on that server are about and what they are doing, and not be so vehemently against competition. The forum is filled with very off topic stuff all the time, but because its another mmo, people get all defensive, pfft. Theres a gillion mmos out there, certainly is room for one more.
    Last edited by Shade; 03-08-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast