Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 72 of 72
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    *raises an eyebrow*
    They attack that seldom? That can't be right and I hope that is only for the beta testing, honestly, because that makes no sense for actual release combat.
    No, it's not right. They definitely attack on their own seperate timers.

    Flashy combat? Sure,b ut the mob rate of attack? CO was not that cruddy near relase or even after release. Heck after day Zero nerf, 4 average mobs could slaughter you if you weren't careful.
    Combat is flashy, but it can be customized. I was very against the flashes I saw in videos before I had a chance to play. I never changed the dial once playing, though. Almost all spell power animations feel, look and sound right to me, much more realistic than the minimal "firecrackers" we get in DDO to represent very powerful caster spells. Flamestrike for example shakes your dang screen in Neverwinter, in DDO, it fizzles in comparison. Just my opi though.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  2. #62
    Community Member Jay203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    *raises an eyebrow*
    They attack that seldom? That can't be right and I hope that is only for the beta testing, honestly, because that makes no sense for actual release combat.


    Flashy combat? Sure,b ut the mob rate of attack? CO was not that cruddy near relase or even after release. Heck after day Zero nerf, 4 average mobs could slaughter you if you weren't careful.
    enemies attack differently
    archers plink away at you
    zombies attack slower
    you get yourself stuck in a mob of 5 and they'll all take their turn smacking you senseless
    the more power mobs with more powerful attacks aside from the standard smack will have a tell to indicate area being attacked, gotta keep an eye out for that as well

    a shame you can't really dodge out of regular ranged attacks though, making archers and ranged enemies quite a threat in number
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

  3. #63

    Default

    I happen to agree with Chai on ranged combat. You can actually see the ammo flying in 3D, and when you get hit with an arrow - you actually see it enter your body and stay there for a bit. Definitely an eyebrow raiser for us used to the invisible ammo of DDO.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  4. #64
    Community Member chance2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    349

    Default My 2 cp

    My 2 cp worth

    I made me a Smigit dwarf there, played like 10 hours total over the 3 days.
    Got 4k from level 19 only died 2 times and incapacitated once.
    Better than ddo? Not by a long shot.
    Somethings are better most are not.
    First as was pointed out DDO is 7 years old.
    So memory usage in neverwinter was much better than DDO.
    Yes I did get lag at times just as bad if not worse than DDO.
    The entire Shard where I was got booted at one point.
    I like the glittering quest trail you can pop up so you have a route to follow.
    Some of the Town stuff looks a bit better than DDO.
    Character looks go to DDO.
    Yes neverwinter is more Wow like than DDO like.
    Where I would rate Wow a 3 DDO a 7 I would put Neverwinter in a solid 5.
    Will I leave DDO for it? No!
    Will I play Neverwinter? yes.
    It will be a place for me to escape DDO at times for some mindless hack and slash entertainment.
    The weekend of the 22nd I will play a bit in Neverwinter hope they do not clear the Shard.
    As for someone saying the graphics hurts their head. That was or is my problem with Wow.
    96 I had a major head injury ending up in a 34 day coma and have had a head ache since.
    I have tried Rift when in Beta, Rise of the Immortals Beta and a few others, to me DDO still rules.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    a shame you can't really dodge out of regular ranged attacks though, making archers and ranged enemies quite a threat in number
    You can actually dodge out of the way of some of the attacks, even the boss attacks if you are focusing on what you are doing, have fast educated fingers, and have a lot of luck on your side in many cases.

    This is definitely one of the more aggravating elements of the current combat for me personally. Rooting and additional delays while you are in their "red zone". Its BS and needs to change back to the way they had it (zero rooting)... and change the combat algorithms to include attack penalties and opportunity attacks. If they make this one change, it may finally place NWO combat ahead of DDO for many many people.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  6. #66
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Flamestrike for example shakes your dang screen in Neverwinter, in DDO, it fizzles in comparison. Just my opi though.
    To be fair, I'd rather "shaking" be an option I could turn off in my UI. NWO, DDO, or what have you.

    Flashy is nice, but it gets annoying after a while also. AKA FF summoned monster wait 50 seconds on the animation syndrome.

    Cryptic advertised CO as "action combat." Bull. It is nothing more than a fast paced standard MMO with the added ablity to block while waiting on your timers. Once an action was done, there was ZERO chance of dodging or letting the landscape eat the shot. You were always hit.

    I am hoping that Cryptic can finally raise the bar to create an "action combat" MMO. So far it does not sound like they have, but if they actually take care of the "auto hit" and remove the rooting, they could pull it off. Mind you I have zero issues with rooting for a "charge" attack. I'd just consider it like a 3.x full round action.
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 03-12-2013 at 01:51 PM.

  7. #67
    Community Member Jay203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    You can actually dodge out of the way of some of the attacks, even the boss attacks if you are focusing on what you are doing, have fast educated fingers, and have a lot of luck on your side in many cases.

    This is definitely one of the more aggravating elements of the current combat for me personally. Rooting and additional delays while you are in their "red zone". Its BS and needs to change back to the way they had it (zero rooting)... and change the combat algorithms to include attack penalties and opportunity attacks. If they make this one change, it may finally place NWO combat ahead of DDO for many many people.
    i meant the regular shots and throws of the ranged enemies
    you won't see their projectile pretty much and they'll just hit you

    as for the rooting + telegraphing strong attacks, it adds an element to the game so people don't just stand in one place and hold down auto attack like in DDO....
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

  8. #68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    To be fair, I'd rather "shaking" be an option I could turn off in my UI. NWO, DDO, or what have you.

    Flashy is nice, but it gets annoying after a while also. AKA FF summoned monster wait 50 seconds on the animation syndrome.
    Oh I agree. We have some in my guild for example, that would not be able to play otherwise. All "sparklies" are completely customizable, great options in video ui tab.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  9. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    as for the rooting + telegraphing strong attacks, it adds an element to the game so people don't just stand in one place and hold down auto attack like in DDO....
    It goes way too far though, when you swing your weapon and still cant move. Its much harder to fight the UI in Neverwinter than it is the mobs sometimes. UI should never get in the way of success, only mobs, player skill, and chance.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  10. #70
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Oh I agree. We have some in my guild for example, that would not be able to play otherwise. All "sparklies" are completely customizable, great options in video ui tab.
    Causes them migraines or seizures from the "flash"?

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I am hoping that Cryptic can finally raise the bar to create an "action combat" MMO. So far it does not sound like they have, but if they actually take care of the "auto hit" and remove the rooting, they could pull it off. Mind you I have zero issues with rooting for a "charge" attack. I'd just consider it like a 3.x full round action.
    Yea, I agree with you about CO. I was lucky enough to have been given the chance to play Neverwinter extensively before they enabled rooting, and I'm telling you it was full blown action combat. It was freikin amazing. Then they instituted rooting because people were just kiting everything to death.

    I get the feel that rooting as it stands now was a place marker for what the final draft will look like. If they roll it back partially, and institute even just an attack penalty (though would looove to see mobs attain free opportunity attacks as well), then I believe after 7 years DDO will finally have competition when it comes to mmo combat, for me at least.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Causes them migraines or seizures from the "flash"?
    Yes. Luckily, Neverwinter defaults to pretty respectable limits in this area though. To date, I haven't had anyone in guild complain about this once they started playing.
    Last edited by LeslieWest_GuitarGod; 03-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.


    TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Dungeons & Dragons Online Guild
    No Drama. Cameraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!

    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | GHALLANDA GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!


Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload