Community Member

Default advice for a new player and a new sorcerer

ok just picked up the game pretty much, havent played since release. i built a sorcerer and he is now level 2. I didnt read anything before i made him and now realize i made some less than ideal choices. trying to figure out if i should reroll now while its early or if the toon can be fixed.

im playing a human (and that is all im looking for advice on for right now), not gonna play a robot(warforged) and dont have drow unlocked.

starting attibutes are cha 18, str 10, dex 12, con 12 or 14 i want to say 14 but it might be 12, int 8. no idea why i put points into str, but dex was for ac bonus and con was for more hitpoints. I dont know if there is any way to change these starting attributes or not at this level or if it is that major at this point in time and can change them later or would it just be easier to reroll. I now know 18 charisma and highest con i can get is the best way to go for a sorc.

im looking for general advice on the playstyle I want to use. primarily a fire sorc and am gonna go the fire savant route. im not really looking for the max possible min/max character right now, just want some general advice on how to make a fire savant the best it can be, what feats i should be looking for, what enhanements and so on. my feats i took mental toughness and toughness at level 1, these i know can be switched out but dont know if i should or not. enhancements so far has been focused on more spellpower and making my fire spells better.

starting spells i picked mage armor for some armor and magic missile because i figured that would be the best level 1 spell for me. at 2nd level i got burning hands.

so there you have it, my character in a nutshell, just looking for advice on whether i can fix his attributes and some ideas on what feats and enhancements to take as I level up. im pretty much playing this toon solo, when i get higher ill look into raiding and whatnot but as for right now Im running him solo.

thanks for any advice.

P.S. I did some searches and learned some valuable advice but couldnt find what i was really looking for and my search fu is probably weak, reason im asking here. thank you.

If you have warforged, for your first sorc, I would recommend rerolling.

Max Cha, get at least 16 into Con (or 18 if WF), put the rest into Str.

AC is mildly useful at low levels, but a sorc gets displacement pretty fast, which is incredibly powerful. For low levels, I highly recommend burning hands as a level 1 spell, scorch and scorching ray for level 2 spell, and fireball for level 3...these spells primarily absolutely annihilate enemies.

By level ~16, you'll probably want to swap out of fire, though...you'll find many enemies greatly resist or are outright immune to your fire spells by that point. I generally prefer acid myself, and electric can be rather fun.

A WF sorc like this can easily solo pretty much any soloable quest, but that requires more of knowing the quests than just having a good character.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by hardicon View Post
    ok just picked up the game pretty much, havent played since release. i built a sorcerer and he is now level 2. I didnt read anything before i made him and now realize i made some less than ideal choices. trying to figure out if i should reroll now while its early or if the toon can be fixed.

im playing a human (and that is all im looking for advice on for right now), not gonna play a robot(warforged) and dont have drow unlocked.

starting attibutes are cha 18, str 10, dex 12, con 12 or 14 i want to say 14 but it might be 12, int 8. no idea why i put points into str, but dex was for ac bonus and con was for more hitpoints. I dont know if there is any way to change these starting attributes or not at this level or if it is that major at this point in time and can change them later or would it just be easier to reroll. I now know 18 charisma and highest con i can get is the best way to go for a sorc.

im looking for general advice on the playstyle I want to use. primarily a fire sorc and am gonna go the fire savant route. im not really looking for the max possible min/max character right now, just want some general advice on how to make a fire savant the best it can be, what feats i should be looking for, what enhanements and so on. my feats i took mental toughness and toughness at level 1, these i know can be switched out but dont know if i should or not. enhancements so far has been focused on more spellpower and making my fire spells better.

starting spells i picked mage armor for some armor and magic missile because i figured that would be the best level 1 spell for me. at 2nd level i got burning hands.

so there you have it, my character in a nutshell, just looking for advice on whether i can fix his attributes and some ideas on what feats and enhancements to take as I level up. im pretty much playing this toon solo, when i get higher ill look into raiding and whatnot but as for right now Im running him solo.

thanks for any advice.

P.S. I did some searches and learned some valuable advice but couldnt find what i was really looking for and my search fu is probably weak, reason im asking here. thank you.

So a few things.

1) Human is a fine choice. Not wanting to play a robot is legit, and while drow make excellent casters, humans get +1 to any 2 stats, an extra feat (on a feat starved class), and an extra skill/level which is useful for getting UMD

2) Int is useful, as mentioned. Having some skills is nice, mostly for UMD

3) Yes, 12 con is too low. No, neither dex or AC will be useful past about level 10 (by 20 AC is completely and thoroughly and in all ways useless to a sorc).

4) Shield will net you better results than mage armor since IIRC it gives same AC, but also blocks magic missiles (which you'll see often at low levels). Once you give up on AC you can sub in nightshield. Similarly acid spray will probably net you better results than burning hands since some mobs are immune to fire (some oozes especially) but IIRC nothing is immune or resistant to acid until higher levels (and even then only rarely). I would take this before magic missile since it's far more effecient for killing multiple mobs. Try to get someone to craft you a buckler or robe with invulnerability too (best is mithral light shield since your starter robes are actually quite useful and mithral light shield has no spell failure)

At this point I would re-roll for more con or more int since it takes like 30 minutes to get to level 2. But if your con is 14 it's not entirely necessary. Getting UMD skill up (since it is CHA based) will allow you to self heal, use other scrolls outside your spell list, use scrolls in your spell list that you didn't pick, and let you use race/alignment restricted items.

Have fun! My main was my first toon, and her first life was sorc. I loved it.

Community Member

Max Charisma everything else in Con

some people might say to put some points in STR for low levels, so if you get enfeebled you wont be helpless.. personaly i find in only 1 level 4 quest this seems to maybe effect you, hence I never bother with STR

in relation to AC your damage mitigation will be from Blur/Displacement 20/50% chance to miss, and stone skin for 10DR (first 10 damage of melee hits will be absorbed into the stoneskin for whatever level your stoneskin is 70+, so dont waste any points on dex

I wouldnt really bother with Mental Toughness or Toughness (some people wont make a toon without toughness)

You have plenty of SP to not need mental toughness, and I prefer to play safe and not rush head first in parties hence toughness was never important to me, Dont get me wrong HP is still very important, max out your CON and get your best false life item as you can for your level, I just find with sorcs being so limited with the amount of Feats they get I usually sacrifice toughness for something else

Since we're on the topic of feats, you want things that increase your DC and Damage, some spell focus and metamagics, you will need evocation or conjuration spell focus if you want to pick the sorc PREs (prestige) Maximise is a must, and possible empower

Personally I find you only have enough enhancements to reduce the SP cost of Maximize or Empower not both (without disabling your toon in other departments) and without the SP reduction both are really SP intensive and will drain your SP quick, if you ever plan on using low level crowd control like web, sleep, slumber, flesh to stone or any low level Crowd Control (CC) spells heighten is a must for elite content

for enhancements pick your damage type, max that, pick a secondary and put a few points in that, max your Spell Penetration, max your SP reduction for your prefered metamagic (if you can)

skills... only ever put points in UMD it will allow you to use heal scrolls and high levels, along with raise dead and other cleric scrolls, as a sorc you will only get a single point per level unless you eat a decent int tome, outside UMD no other skills are actually worth it

You learn how to play an arcane as a wizard, once you've mastered it you make a sorc. you get less spells, you get less feats, but you get faster casting and shorter cooldown.

There is more to sorcs than just blasting and so as a request dont limit yourself to such, people will tell you Sorcs are for blasting, wizards are for CC, I say they both blast and CC well enough for end game if you put the effort into making them and kitting them out... where as a wizard is easy to build and very forgiving with the amount of feats you get and the ability to change spells at shrines/taverns, sorcs get limited spells, and limited feats

Sorcs on the other hand are very fast violent and fluid casters...Thanks to their faster casting and shorter cooldown for spells

I will finish by just adding... for the love of god dont make a WF sorc.. they are extremely powerfull but promote lazy play.... as a fleshy you're far more careful and use everything in your arsenal... when the safety net is removed it actually makes you a better player
    Last edited by 5chinoble; 02-14-2013 at 03:41 PM.

There are two main reasons people discourage Fire Savant:
    1. Some very popular end game types like devils are 100% immune to fire.
    2. The arcane spell palette is such that going with any other element is strongly favored. The point of savant is caster levels and SLAs. Fire caster levels give you nothing you wouldn't get with Cold (DBF cancels with Otiluke's), hurt your Polar Ray (best single target nuke), and very slightly hurt your NBC.

It's not really a min/max thing, it's a "don't give up something for nothing" thing.

Feat wise, I think Maximize and the savant pre-req may be the only universally acclaimed musts left on a sorcerer. Personally I would also always take Empower, Heighten, and the Spell Penetration line (to Epic SP). You probably do not need SF: UMD to use Heal scrolls at cap, but it may be a useful placeholder until you get there, all geared out, etc.

Enhancement wise, I would encourage you to get 7/1/1 (and no more) in a secondary elemental line. If you can't fit that in, I would encourage you to reconsider the rest of your enhancements. No matter what savant you end up picking, there will be some times when it is critical to have another line, and there will be many times when it is not critical but really really nice to have another line.

Community Member

I love my sorcerers, though I prefer to make them warforged for self-repair. Human is a good choice as the extra feat is invaluable on a sorcerer, and you can get extra Charisma and Con from racial enhancements as you level.

A few pointers:

1. Take the Toughness feat at level one and the racial toughness enhancements. You will get hurt, sometimes for lots and lots of damage at once. Being able to take a few hits is very important.

2. Focusing on fire magic is totally fine; some endgame monsters are resistant but the recently added quests broaden the horizons significantly and even include a few monsters that are vulnerable to fire.

3. All sorcerers benefit from having a strong secondary element to use against enemies that resist your primary element. I like to pair fire with either lightning or force: force is effective against lots of foes that are highly resistant to damage in general while lightning offers, among other things, a top boss-killing spell in the form of Eladar's Electric Surge.

4. You probably won't be able / willing to get a decent amount of AC, so strongly consider taking the Displacement spell for a 50% miss chance defense. Level three spells can be tight (Fireball and Haste are both extremely important, too) but it's got serious mitigation potential.

5. Look for items that improve your relevant spell powers; Cloak of Flames from Cannith Challenges is an excellent choice for fire, as are Bracers of Wind for lightning.

6. Metamagic feats are highly recommended and can be set on a spell by spell basis by right clicking the spell on your hotbar. You'll want at least one of Maximise or Empower by level 6.

7. Take the Savant prestige enhancement for your chosen element as soon as it's available and take its upgrades as soon as they are available, too. Visit your trainer and show unavailable enhancements to ensure you know what you need to take. Once you get the first one, make sure you put the first innate spell it grants you on your hotbar and maximise / empower it for free.

8. Be aware of the arcane utility spells that are available to you: Knock, Invisibility, Dimension Door, and Teleport are capabilities you just might grow to love. Especially Dim Door.

9. Resist Energy is your friend when ship buffs aren't available.

10. Understand that if you focus on nuking you may not have enough build resources left to get really good at instant death spells or enchantments...but the odd dancing sphere or mass hold can still be useful in the right circumstances! Also check out the Prismatic Ray and Spray spells for evocation-based access to similar effects (albeit at random).

11. Like anyone, carrying stacks of useful potions and other consumables can make all the difference!

12. Sorcerers get double the bonus from items that increase spell points, so make sure to wear an item that has one of the following affixes: Power, Wizardry, Magi, Archmagi. In more general terms, you also want an item of resistance (increases all saving throws) and items that raise your Charisma (better spellcasting) and Constitution.

13. Spell Focus: Evocation can be very valuable for most fire, lightning, and cold based nukes. Conjuration is a good school for Earth savants to improve.

14. The Concentration skill will help you cast while under attack, so be sure to max it. This includes wearing and using an "inner focus" item or other piece of gear that gives you a bonus!

I hope that helps and I wish you the best of luck blowing stuff up.