Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Silex_Molior View Post
    From the character selection screen, with the character selected, I press "Enter" to log that character into the world.

1:30 seconds with the loading bar empty (black, no sign of blue at all)
    1:31 the first sliver of blue appears
    1:55 the bar is full, but then holds there
    2:02 world appears, character can move.

This started happening a few updates ago, I wanna say 14 but it could be 13. I remember it coincided with Turbine announcing an update to their rendering engine. Whatever the new engine is, its horrible for loading. Same long lag times zoning into a new area (once area is entered, re-entry is faster).

Seems almost like you have a firewall that is preventing the first connections from happening and then it goes to alternate ports or you don't have enough memory.

I use my old Vista gaming machine to play - it has 12 GB of memory.

I can run 4 clients simultaneously and can log 2 in together in less than a minute.

I just have the memory leak issue where, where a client approaches 2 GB, it takes forever to switch characters, zone, buff (where it changes UMD) - even when only running 1 client.
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I am not using windows at all.
    Lol. Me either. Liberating isn't it?

I should add -the weird 1 frame every two seconds for about two minutes on the first load happened on the Windows client as well exactly the same way it happens on the new client. I don't know that this is the same problem that the OP is seeing. I think there are more than one problems being discussed in this thread.

I have 6 toons if anyone is really keeping count.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 02-14-2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    I have 6 toons if anyone is really keeping count.
    There are people keeping track of details even though things may not be posted about . Thank you for posting the information however.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 16 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 8)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Singular View Post
    Why would running whatever wireshark is violate the ToS?
    Probably doesn't - I was being dramatic/emo. Wireshark allows you to see exactly what data is within network traffic. Thus running afoul of the ToS on reverse engineering grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Source code of ddopreload.exe is here.

http://pastebin.com/nDBJr46W

So compile own version. You will need some Visual Studio Express edition.
    Many thanks Wanesa.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    There are people keeping track of details even though things may not be posted about . Thank you for posting the information however.

J1NG
    Approximately 9.

...per server.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Mandatory joke involving "2 Days to log a character into game"

...and i thought that was only because of my old pc.

having a shiny fast new pc will help this ?

it will log faster with a powerful pc ?

Quote Originally Posted by drathdragon View Post
    ...and i thought that was only because of my old pc.
    Well, it can and most likely will be older hardware issues, but not always.

having a shiny fast new pc will help this ?
    Most of the time, it will help reduce the loading times, but not all aspects of loading will be reduced and stay reduced.

it will log faster with a powerful pc ?
    It will depend on what your older storage medium was, but yes, it usually will let you log and switch around faster. Although it appears that if you have a few characters on your account, there is an added delay comprised of how many toons you have and between switching, character selection and loading.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 16 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 8)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member

To start I do not have an SSD. I have 12 character slots with 10 filled.

When i log in for the first time each day whether I shut my PC off at night or just let it sleep (I don't always shut down as I work for an global corporation and get work all through out the day and night) I get to the character select screen quickly. Then when I chose a character it takes from 2-5 minutes to get to the game itself, but I always have a red latency warning icon. It stays like this frozen for about 2 minutes then says the game lost connection and shuts down.

When I log back in I get to the character selection screen quickly and then into the game quickly. Game play is usually decent after this with a bit of lag every now and again.

As I start to change characters though it gets longer and longer to load and more lag accumulates and builds. Eventually if I relog enough times it will get to a red latency icon and boot me and starts all over again.

It seems to me that the issue is more the memory leak than anything else. For example I start my day, get the red icon and reset. I play, use 3 characters, build up a bit of lag and log out. The next day I start but it has carried the lag form the day before and I get the red icon and get booted thus resetting it.

Could this be the issue? Is the memory leak from changing characters on my side or Turbine's side? If it's on their side I know they are aware of it from so many people talking about it so why don't they fix it. How could they fix for any of you more techie people out there.

One other weird thing I get that is consistent and only started happening after u14 is on my ship. Stormglory Tempest I get on the upper deck just fine. I use the buff shrines with no lag then I always go down below using the ladder side as opposed to the ramp side if this makes sense to everyone. Its a force of habit from old ladder rubber banding days and now is my buff routine. Well when I go through the door and it drops me down I fall through the floor rubber banding up and down for anywhere form 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Always. I never drop down and do not rubber band through the floor for at least 30 seconds. If I go the ramp side no issues, but the ladder side always does this. Anyone else experience this? It happens no where else in the game for me but here. Is this a ddo thing or on my side?

Quote Originally Posted by Wanesa View Post
    Source code of ddopreload.exe is here.

http://pastebin.com/nDBJr46W

So compile own version. You will need some Visual Studio Express edition.
    This worked for me. I noticed a few other files were commented out though, were those for debugging purposes or do you see some performance increase with more ram if more files are included?

Quote Originally Posted by MelkiorPeasantbane View Post
    This worked for me. I noticed a few other files were commented out though, were those for debugging purposes or do you see some performance increase with more ram if more files are included?
    Preloading certain larger files reaches a point of diminishing returns as far as performance is concerned. Files like "client_surface.dat", which weighs in at a hefty 1.5Gb, would likely not benefit from preloading as they are probably not read by the game until specific surface meshes are required for zone changes. The same would apply for even larger files like "client_sound.dat" which remains largely untouched until needed. Given enough memory you could certainly uncomment the unused code and see what happens, although I think you'll find load times actually increasing if you do.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

I've also noticed a few updates ago that whenever I step into the Marketplace for the first time after logging in, there is an almost mandatory 2 minute computer freeze. Each time I teleport to the Marketplace, I basically have to wait for ages before I can even get a response from my mouse. This is similar to, but worse than the UMD lag bug where simply swapping an item that affects UMD score causes a 30 second computer freeze and massive hard drive activity before you can move again.
    Last edited by RightToRemainStupid; 06-17-2013 at 10:15 PM.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem of connection
    At first time but the difference is that I am systematicaly disconnected fromage server
    Once my character appears on screen after 5 minutes at best
    This started a long time ago maybe more than 6 months
    Ago.
    Just wanted to clarify that I am on Sarlona and I havé only one toon
    On my account which seems to show that these slow loadings
    Do not depend on the number of character you have

OTE=RumbIe;4894777]To start I do not have an SSD. I have 12 character slots with 10 filled.

When i log in for the first time each day whether I shut my PC off at night or just let it sleep (I don't always shut down as I work for an global corporation and get work all through out the day and night) I get to the character select screen quickly. Then when I chose a character it takes from 2-5 minutes to get to the game itself, but I always have a red latency warning icon. It stays like this frozen for about 2 minutes then says the game lost connection and shuts down.

When I log back in I get to the character selection screen quickly and then into the game quickly. Game play is usually decent after this with a bit of lag every now and again.

As I start to change characters though it gets longer and longer to load and more lag accumulates and builds. Eventually if I relog enough times it will get to a red latency icon and boot me and starts all over again.

It seems to me that the issue is more the memory leak than anything else. For example I start my day, get the red icon and reset. I play, use 3 characters, build up a bit of lag and log out. The next day I start but it has carried the lag form the day before and I get the red icon and get booted thus resetting it.

Could this be the issue? Is the memory leak from changing characters on my side or Turbine's side? If it's on their side I know they are aware of it from so many people talking about it so why don't they fix it. How could they fix for any of you more techie people out there.

One other weird thing I get that is consistent and only started happening after u14 is on my ship. Stormglory Tempest I get on the upper deck just fine. I use the buff shrines with no lag then I always go down below using the ladder side as opposed to the ramp side if this makes sense to everyone. Its a force of habit from old ladder rubber banding days and now is my buff routine. Well when I go through the door and it drops me down I fall through the floor rubber banding up and down for anywhere form 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Always. I never drop down and do not rubber band through the floor for at least 30 seconds. If I go the ramp side no issues, but the ladder side always does this. Anyone else experience this? It happens no where else in the game for me but here. Is this a ddo thing or on my side?[/QUOTE]
    **Anamalia level 25 Cleric **
    Guild Stealer of souls

Reporting time to log into the game:

Old laptop (no SSD): 3 minutes
    New laptop (with SSD): 25 seconds

/close thread
    Follow me if I advance. Kill me if I retreat. Avenge me if I die.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by carll78 View Post
    Reporting time to log into the game:

Old laptop (no SSD): 3 minutes
    New laptop (with SSD): 25 seconds

/close thread
    Are you suggesting that anyone complaining about slow loading times should be using a Solid State Drive?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RightToRemainStupid View Post
    Are you suggesting that anyone complaining about slow loading times should be using a Solid State Drive?
    Or a Ramdisk. Anyone with >4GB of memory could be using a Ramdisk to load the game into memory before playing and achieve the same results as an SSD but for free (or just buy more memory which is decidedly cheaper than an SSD).

I load all the game's .dat files into memory before playing (about 9 GB) and it loads lightning fast and plays lag-free.

Community Member

**** -thread necro.
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 08-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123