Question Does deconstructing items give XP?

I know making shards gives XP but does deconstructing items give XP?

Community Member

You get an amount of xp equal to the level of essences you obtained, in the appropriate school. For example, if you decon something that gives level 5 fire essences, you will get 5 elemental xp.

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    You get an amount of xp equal to the level of essences you obtained, in the appropriate school. For example, if you decon something that gives level 5 fire essences, you will get 5 elemental xp.
    Actually...

You can only get 1-5 xps per item deconstructed with a max of 5 xps per item(unless it is a double xp bonus weekend). The number of xps you get are based on the 'level amount' shown in the decon window before you deconstruct the item. If your item has an enhancement bonus (+1, +2, etc), when you deconstruct your item into an enhancement spirit, you will receive the same number of xps (maximum of 5 xps) as the number after the '+'.

So if you have a +5 blazing rapier of superior heartseeking weapon you will see the following options in the item decon window:

+5 enhancement spirit
    equipment disjunction
    fire essences (level 4 amount)
    body essences (level 6 amount)

Selecting '+5 enhancement spirit' will give you 5 xps in Arcane. Selecting 'fire essences (level 4 amount)' will give you 4 xps in Elemental. Selecting 'body essences (level 6 amount)' will give you 5 xps in Arcane (remember you can only get a max of 5xps).
    Last edited by Postumus; 02-13-2013 at 02:44 AM.

another important thing to note, that's only for stuff that you didn't craft. so if you craft a +1 shard, then deconstruct it, you don't get any bonus exp.

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

You will obtain '1' XP per 'Level' of item you are deconstructing. Before a recent update the highest available Level was 5, however you are now able to go above that, but the game is currently bugged. It will give you the appropriate Materials back for a 'Level 7' item, but the XP obtained is still currently capped at '5'.
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

OK then that makes alot more sense, because I was deconning alot of level 20 stuff and it did not make my xp for crafting increase in any level. At least not that I could see anyway lol.