Default a comment on cannith crafting futility

Perhaps I am missing something, but why bother with cannith crafting if for many things (such as combustion etc.) the best items any crafter can produce are not nearly as good as the items produced as random drops (at item level)?

Is this system needing additional work to catch it up to where a crafter can produce loot as good (at item level) as random loot?

Is the intention to always have random loot produce better gear than deliberate crafting (at item level or not; you cannot craft a 72+ combustion shard at any crafter level)?

There is a ton of effort involved in leveling a crafter. That effort should result in the skill to craft items that are as good as random drops (at item level). Random drops of of similar quality to crafted items actually seem to have lower minimum levels.

I am just missing something?
    meh.

They made it clear that crafting will never be as good as loot (+13 skill boosts for example). It used to be decent but now is really only good for leveling, sad as that is.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Cannith crafting is the type of system that needs updates to keep it current or it's usefulness dwindles. It had many uses prior to U14, but it didn't receive a level 25 cap upgrade or any new recipes with U14. The spellpower changes destroyed much of the usefulness of spellpower through crafting. Cannith crafting is still quite useful for low level twinking, but has very little use at endgame due mostly to the system lacking the attention it needs to stay current.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Well, you can just take, say, your paralyzing off your dagger and put it on your khopesh...

... oh, wait.

(No, it never gets old)
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

Community Member

Is para even an option from the craft system? I don't know I do not craft aside from blowing stuff up occasionally.

It is good for making twink gear but that is about it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by AlteredState View Post
    Is para even an option from the craft system? I don't know I do not craft aside from blowing stuff up occasionally.
    No, comment was a dig on the lead dev's mis-speak in an interview a couple years ago.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Default Cannith Crafting is *NOT* futile.

Obviously for leveling and gearing for multiple lives its elfing awesome!

It doesn't shine nearly as well in the mid to upper character levels. Especially considering all the new prefixes and suffixes that got introduced into the loot tables.

However...where it really gets tasty is when you can craft the Flexible Shards. Granted some of the best Flexible recipes are level 150 (required craft level 140 for 50% chance...54% with House C favor crafting success booster)

But when you have to find somewhere to slot Deathblock, Heavy Fort and GFL, Cannith Crafting offers solutions.

For instance. In my current life (life 10) on one toon I am wearing Minos Legens for Heavy Fort/Toughness at level 22.

However am currently planning a Helm with Large Guild Augment (slotted at 20hp), Flexible Greater Enchantment Focus as Prefix and Flexible Heavy Fort as Suffix.

Frees up a Weapon Swap and/or Trinket Swap.

The new augment system *should* provide even more flexibility with slotting stats/effects/prefixs and suffixes.

No....

Cannith Crafting is Not Futile at all...

But it's easy for me to say so cause I leveled it PATIENTLY over 8 character lives and am now reaping the rewards...

/eyeballs ML20 (AML 20) 2[1d8] +5 Holy Burst Cold Iron Khopesh of Greater Chaotic Outsider Bane.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature".

you all make some valid points, and in retrospect I should have realized more clearly what my issue with the system is:

it is great for twinking, especially once you get your crafter leveled.

flex shards are definitely useful, especially for aspects that are "capped" (i.e. toughness, deathblock, heavy fort, greater spell school bonus, etc.); but then, cannith crafting is great for those even if the shard isnt flex.

as a previous poster mentioned, the spell power update/nerf crashed a good portion of this system. I like the spell power system, and I like the cannith crafting system, so what I was really hoping was that this thread might get some attention and prompt some action on revamping cannith crafting to fix this aspect.

fingers crossed. not holding breath

Quote Originally Posted by Feralthyrtiaq View Post
    Obviously for leveling and gearing for multiple lives its elfing awesome!

It doesn't shine nearly as well in the mid to upper character levels. Especially considering all the new prefixes and suffixes that got introduced into the loot tables.

However...where it really gets tasty is when you can craft the Flexible Shards. Granted some of the best Flexible recipes are level 150 (required craft level 140 for 50% chance...54% with House C favor crafting success booster)

But when you have to find somewhere to slot Deathblock, Heavy Fort and GFL, Cannith Crafting offers solutions.

For instance. In my current life (life 10) on one toon I am wearing Minos Legens for Heavy Fort/Toughness at level 22.

However am currently planning a Helm with Large Guild Augment (slotted at 20hp), Flexible Greater Enchantment Focus as Prefix and Flexible Heavy Fort as Suffix.

Frees up a Weapon Swap and/or Trinket Swap.

The new augment system *should* provide even more flexibility with slotting stats/effects/prefixs and suffixes.

No....

Cannith Crafting is Not Futile at all...

But it's easy for me to say so cause I leveled it PATIENTLY over 8 character lives and am now reaping the rewards...

/eyeballs ML20 (AML 20) 2[1d8] +5 Holy Burst Cold Iron Khopesh of Greater Chaotic Outsider Bane.
    meh.

of course, I will always disagree with Turbine about crafted gear not being as good as random loot. effort should earn rewards, and leveling in craft is definitely an effort.
    meh.

I LOVE Cannith crafting for levelling. It isn't nearly as good as it was pre U14, and will become less powerful again when guild slots stop dropping, but it still is handy to be able to craft what you want when you want in the slot you want.

Post L6ish crafting is of very low value for weapon creation (exception - heroic devil/demon beaters). Post L18ish crafting is near useless. It might let you temporarily consolidate a few items at ML20 until you get better gear, but its a joke compared to lootgen epic stuff.

I think they do need to bring crafted back on par with U14 prefixes/suffices, at a bare minimum, as well as adding a couple levels of SP.

Quote Originally Posted by arrrcher View Post
    Perhaps I am missing something, but why bother with cannith crafting if for many things (such as combustion etc.) the best items any crafter can produce are not nearly as good as the items produced as random drops (at item level)?

Is this system needing additional work to catch it up to where a crafter can produce loot as good (at item level) as random loot?

Is the intention to always have random loot produce better gear than deliberate crafting (at item level or not; you cannot craft a 72+ combustion shard at any crafter level)?

There is a ton of effort involved in leveling a crafter. That effort should result in the skill to craft items that are as good as random drops (at item level). Random drops of of similar quality to crafted items actually seem to have lower minimum levels.

I am just missing something?
    Spell power got screwed with the change - it used to be simple to create a superior element of level Y, but now it's spell power. And it bottoms out at 66. Plus adding anything else ontop of spell power truly over inflates the value of the item. But Cannith crafting is still useful for some stuff - lower level for most part but also helping you plug holes in your gear setup until you find a better named option. Currently my sorc use 2 crafted rings and he still rocks in all type of quests.

Crafting is still useful - the can have a few dents in it and they should do a serious overpass and fix some of the issues (made even worse with the coming augment system) but I find crafting very important especially by creating some great TRing gear. Especially for caster that need good DC breaking items.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Well, you can just take, say, your paralyzing off your dagger and put it on your khopesh...

... oh, wait.

(No, it never gets old)

Even before that they'd have to make paralyzing daggers actually drop in game... which they currently don't.

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    Even before that they'd have to make paralyzing daggers actually drop in game... which they currently don't.
    Good point, good point.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>