Smile Will there ever be a fix for Max Caster level increases DoTs?

You know this bug dates back to the Savant Prestige Classes days...

... yet not fixed .

Max caster level increases (resulting from destiny abilities, savant prestige classes, savant tod set bonuses) do not correctly increase the cap for Niac's Biting Cold (arcane lv.5) and Eledar's Electric Surge (arcane lv.5): so these spells do not actually do more damage but they do the same with and without the max caster level increases.

This kind of problem extends also to other spells. Probably someone could enumerate them better than me but regarding the ones i use mostly i can assure that this mechanic don't work with: Shocking Grasp (arcane lv.1), Electric Loop (arcane lv.2), Ice Storm (arcane lv.4).

It would be extremel helpful... and i will construct a statue in Lord's March Plaza in Stomreach to the programmer that will free the poor sorcerers and the other arcane casters from this awful yet omnipresent bug!

Please consider helping us super-mega-uber-knower_of_everything-most_merciful SqueakOfDoom,
    Best Regards,
    Luigi .
    Last edited by Zerkul; 02-11-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

Like you, I gave up hope and haven't checked for ages. However, I remember that
    Cone of Cold didn't scale with MCL but remember that Ice Storm did?

The big two are obviously Niac's Biting Cold and Eladar's Electric Surge.

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    Like you, I gave up hope and haven't checked for ages. However, I remember that
    Cone of Cold didn't scale with MCL but remember that Ice Storm did?

The big two are obviously Niac's Biting Cold and Eladar's Electric Surge.
    Yeah the DoTs would be a very good starting point indeed!

I lost the test runs i did long ago so just I went by memory on Ice Storm: i'm using it these days it doesn't seem to do that good damage (though i just have Ice as secondary line in DI at rank2, i'm no water savant anymore).

Regarding Cone of Cold i clearly remember without any mystake that it doesn't scale with the max caster levels, dunno if anything changed since i was water savant.
    Guild Leader of "GODS - Guardians Of the Dragon Sanctuary" on Cannith --- My Characters: Zavarthak (20 Barbarian Frenzied/Ravager DPS - MAIN), Ryumajin (Warlock,), Leohands (Evocation FVS firstlife), Galvano (Paladin TWF). - If you like or find useful my posts, consider adding reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerkul View Post
    Y
    I lost the test runs i did long ago so just I went by memory on Ice Storm: i'm using it these days it doesn't seem to do that good damage (though i just have Ice as secondary line in DI at rank2, i'm no water savant anymore).
    It did scale with MCL prior to MotU. With spellpower changes it now needs
    frost/glaciation AND impulse/force for damage. Description for this was messed
    up at one stage; said 1 - 10 + 1 per level to CL 15 but damage dice was listed
    as 1D10 + 1 per level to CL10. The latter was correct. Again, haven't checked
    this out for ages - despite being a Water Savant and having the spell!

Regarding Cone of Cold i clearly remember without any mystake that it doesn't scale with the max caster levels, dunno if anything changed since i was water savant.
    Yes, that has never scaled. They ignored all my bugs on that one too! though
    we did get the Sorcerer casting speed increased in U9 beta testing...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    we did get the Sorcerer casting speed increased in U9 beta testing...
    Yeah i remember that, better than nothing. We need more love!

(some may understand the meaning of the image i bet) !!!

The correct way to fix this is just nuke +MCL from orbit, and instead rescale the various items/feats that give +CL to give more, and uncap more high lvl spells and abilities to take advantage of the bonus. (As atm having only polar ray and energy burst be the only reasons to use these bonuses at high level is rather silly).

+MCL was a bad idea to start, and aparently, a nightmare to program to actually have work at all too. Bad for the players, bad for the programmers, get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The correct way to fix this is just nuke +MCL from orbit, and instead rescale the various items/feats that give +CL to give more, and uncap more high lvl spells and abilities to take advantage of the bonus. (As atm having only polar ray and energy burst be the only reasons to use these bonuses at high level is rather silly).

+MCL was a bad idea to start, and aparently, a nightmare to program to actually have work at all too. Bad for the players, bad for the programmers, get rid of it.
    This.

I like a level of complexity in my MMOs to keep me interested, but even I feel that CL/MCL is a headache and a waste of time.

Begone with it, say I!

Failing that, fix it

Fully agreed. Toss out MCL altogether. It's silly that we can cast at ~level36 but this is not reflected in our damage output.

Agreed. It's overly complicated and they didn't even get it right either. I could excuse a convoluted system that actually worked, but why bother keeping a system that is impossible to fully understand what it does and does not work on. Players need to keep a personal list of spells that do get increased, spells that don't get increased but should and spells that don't get increased that aren't supposed to as even if it were noted in the spell description, it's all messed up anyway.

Nuke it from orbit. Only way to be sure.

Start over with an easier to understand system that can actually be noted properly in the spell description and most importantly it should work as described within 2 years of it being implemented. Not too much to ask I think.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Community Member

Genasi was working on it before he left.

So yeah, definetely interested, once again, to hear about the MCL/CL from the Devs in charge.

seems the easiest way to replace MCL would be to give a stacking spell power bonus. simple enough, we know it works, and it gets the job done. just don't hand out a 5 point increase or something lame like that...

Thumbs up

/signed.