Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Zork

It was Zork on my VIC-20.
    I remember trying to program a D&D charater gererator in BASIC on it and only got the Strength roll and adjustments done before I had used up all of the memory then realizing that I had no way of saving it so when I turned it off POOF all gone! lol
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by starhawk_6699 View Post
    It was Zork on my VIC-20.
    I remember trying to program a D&D charater gererator in BASIC on it and only got the Strength roll and adjustments done before I had used up all of the memory then realizing that I had no way of saving it so when I turned it off POOF all gone! lol
    You had a vic 20 without a tape drive? How'd you load Zork?

Apple IIC: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego

PC(intel 386-25SX): Civilization

Were it not For Civilization, I would have gone to college to be a paleontologist, but thanks to Sid Meier and Microprose, I gave up on college, got a few certs, and became a PC tech...thank you, Sid Meier!!!
    Yazston the Invoker, Nyyarlathotep, Thongo Stonesplitter, Stumpvvater Jack, Iaug Sothoth, Egostu Theman, Hastuur D'Rlyeh,
    Vehnison Deerslayer, Guendaril Kherras, Khaloss Meierson, Haestan Cloudreaver, Ygolonac
    Member of The Madborn

"You had a vic 20 without a tape drive? How'd you load Zork?"

Plug in cartridge.
    Had Chessmaster also. Remember my and my brother playin that one one hard and it taking like 3 days to finally beat it. Had to prop it up and blow a fan on it because we were afraid it woud get too hot.
    Last edited by starhawk_6699; 02-11-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    "Some men see things as they are and say why - I dream things that never were and say why not." -- George Bernard Shaw

Default First computer game I played

Some space game on a radio shack system in 1975
    remember Dungeons of Daggorath very well attack left attack right throwing all my stuff on the floor and letting a spider carry it then when finding a new fight killing the spider and killing the monsters while they tried to pick up my stuff. The old Ultima games or Lord British, the Bards Tale, Pools of radiance, Curse of the azure bonds, secrets of the silver blades. Been using computers for sometime on #27. Dungeons of Daggorath taught me to type fast you could just type a space l or a space r and I would type them out. Type so many that I could go get a drink come back and the computer still would not have caught up. I liked having the rf converter I would hook it to my vcr then the tv so if I wanted to I could tape game play. Rise of the Triad, xcom ufo defense, SDI, Mobius. Back when we still had the dial in BBS (Bulletin Board Systems). Plus we were able to rent computer games at the local video store. One of my favs was Harpoon.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieWest_GuitarGod View Post
    Here's mine:

First ever - Chess, on a Commodore PET.

First game I played through to completion?

Zork I on a Commodore 64

Who's next?
    OMG!!!

I remember Zork...

If not Zork I think it was a game called Wasteland.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

Owned: King's Quest II
    Bought: Dark Forces

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    You had a vic 20 without a tape drive? How'd you load Zork?
    I may be misremembering but didnt the vic 20 have a few games you plugged into a slot on it?

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by chance2000 View Post
    Some space game on a radio shack system in 1975
    remember Dungeons of Daggorath very well attack left attack right throwing all my stuff on the floor and letting a spider carry it then when finding a new fight killing the spider and killing the monsters while they tried to pick up my stuff. The old Ultima games or Lord British, the Bards Tale, Pools of radiance, Curse of the azure bonds, secrets of the silver blades. Been using computers for sometime on #27. Dungeons of Daggorath taught me to type fast you could just type a space l or a space r and I would type them out. Type so many that I could go get a drink come back and the computer still would not have caught up. I liked having the rf converter I would hook it to my vcr then the tv so if I wanted to I could tape game play. Rise of the Triad, xcom ufo defense, SDI, Mobius. Back when we still had the dial in BBS (Bulletin Board Systems). Plus we were able to rent computer games at the local video store. One of my favs was Harpoon.
    Not to be snarky but I thought the first trash shack computers came out in 77? had a neighbor that worked at one when I was in high school and he was bragging about the store getting them in

Anyone ever play Dungeons and Dragons on the Intellivision?

My dad loved that game...and I played it as a 5 year old a bit.
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    My Cousins had the intellivision and I played it a bit at their house, though admittedly I don't remember much of the game just the load screen.

All they ever wanted to play was burger time. Then they broke the console,

2016 DDO Players Council kinggartk's Avatar

There was a game on our Apple II (Not II-C) at school that I played alot. It was a Thermo-Nuclear War game where USSR would shoot ballistic missiles over the North Pole at the USA and Vice Versa. You targeted various cities. You could shoot down the incoming missiles also (Kind of foreshadowing the patriot missile system). I wish I could remember the name of it.

Our monitors were monochome at the time (Green and black).

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

They had one set up in the PX where I was stationed and I played it a bit there

If we are getting technical the first was some apple game on a 8bit ugly green screen can't remember the name of it remember bugs and numbers.

My first game for recreation and fun (when I figured out yes you can have a pc in the home its not just a work thing) Heroes of might and magic II man I loved that game I need to find a way to play it again I still play III windows 7 doesn't crash the game like vista did repeatedly.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    I may be misremembering but didnt the vic 20 have a few games you plugged into a slot on it?
    Oh yeah... how could I forget the expansion port. It allowed memory expansion on the VIC 20, and on all models allowed program carts.

On the C64/128 I um...also heard...that port could be used, in combination with a paperclip and sysres, to break any copy protection of all commodore products.
    Last edited by Gkar; 02-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Default Was a Radio Shack

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Not to be snarky but I thought the first trash shack computers came out in 77? had a neighbor that worked at one when I was in high school and he was bragging about the store getting them in
    Not sure if it was a trash 80 was a radio shack with a silver case my Aunt was a manager for the Texaco Corp office and had it. My 1st computer was a Texas insterments black and white computer.
    Not all who wander are lost. I am not lost, I am just exploring.
    Smigit F25 (Leg Dread 5), Xappit w20 (tr), Tamix C20,Smigitjr Tmp R 22, Tamik 14 P (3rd life,) , Xsong bard 20, Smigit5 arti 21, Xappet 20 AA, Smigit6 D22 (fw2), Tamok Fvs 20 Smoxfeat monk 16 Taggem Wf Pally 14 others. Leader Circle of Destruction Argonnessen

My first game on PC was Ultima III.
    I must of finished that game at least 10 times, played it straight for 3 months non-stop after school. Killed all the villagers in every town, killed all the mobs, found all the secret places...

I did have a TSR-80??? loaded up a game from tape but don't remember what it was...

Community Member

Absolutely I do remember it.

Once you'd gotten towards the end of the game, you could find an item that let you see what was behind each door on a level. To 'win' the game, you had to kill a red minotaur I think it was. As long as you did not kill the minnie, you could continue to gain levels. However, eventually, the only mob behind the door was the red minotaur, so they sorta artificially capped your xp potential.

If we're going to expand the discussion to consoles....

I friend of mine's dad had the first big screen rear-projection TV I'd ever seen. Had to be a 50" set and took up an entire wall. Well, my friend hooked up his Atari 2600 to it and we played Adventure for many an hour. The dragons were about the size of a garden gnome...pretty impressive for the late '70s.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Oh, man. That was a long time ago. I remember typing in a ton of MBASIC, PASCAL and FORTRAN {{shudder}} games from Byte magazine in the late 70's. They'd have to be customized for whatever flavor of CP/M you had running. ASCII codes weren't yet standardized across many platforms so the ESC sequences would produce interesting results.

I do recall "Hunt the Wumpas" and "Adventure" by Mike Goetz as being two I played. It was a good way to learn programming. Plus, you could cheat your way out of anything by simply changing the code.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

Star Trek on the Commodore Basic in my 6th grade class. Our screen was white though.

Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast