Default when to use frenzy

So its been a while since i played a barb at anything near cap.

last time i did one was on bane's barb life - which doesnt even show any more! (it was fighter, barb, fighter, pally iirc)

so i built a new barb and am running him solo a lot at times.

I am not sure when to use frenzy.

hes level 9 and it just seems that incoming mob damage +self damage is just too much. when do you use frenzy to be effective?

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Trying to remember how I did things when leveling, but for solo because of the healing needed it might be best to leave off frenzy. If you have a healer imo allways frenzy. My barb is capped at the moment and constantly double frenzies even when solo but I have sf pots to heal up from it.

I tend to never use frenzy, but once I get death frenzy I always turn that on. Don't think the 1d3 dmg to self is very convenient at lower levels...

Only frenzy when a: The damage is really helpful [eg, boss fights, lots of mobs, anything with actual challenge] and b: when the healer of the party can dedicatedly heal you [ie, not when the party is running around, especially through areas with sharp turns and walls, etc].

Essentially, use it when the party stops to confront a big battle or a boss battle.

In terms of soloing, the damage you take from it far outweighs the damage increase it grants you. Unless you have a dedicated healer [hireling, even] you don't ever want to use it, and likewise not for large groups of mobs, even with a [hireling], since they won't be able to keep up with healing you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

I always frenzied, because when I soloed I always used a cleric hireling. By the time you get to the point where you can no longer solo everything with a hireling (levels 13-14, level 16 is when it really shuts down) then you have enough HP to absorb the loss. If you don't have a perpetual hireling running it is understandable that it would be off.

If there is a healer in the party, turn it on.

If the damage from incoming enemies that can be averted by them dying faster from using Frenzy is greater than the damage from Frenzy, then use Frenzy.

Edit- consider that as a barb you should always be using supreme cleave -> cleave -> greater cleave -> regular attack -> supreme cleave chain, meaning you're likely attacking a larger group of monsters, some of which may be damaging other party members. So you need to consider their incoming damage into the equation too.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 02-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Frenzy and Death Frenzy add DPS. Use often.

If you feel the damage taken is putting your life in danger, swing a Bodyfeeder like Fintan's Bite, or a (lesser)Vampiric, or carry pots. It's a pretty simple thing to mitigate that damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Use frenzy as often as you need to. If you're running EN or EH, then you probably don't need it for trash and are better off keeping your hp higher, especially if you don't have a dedicated healer. Things die in a few swings whether you are in frenzy or not. For bosses and EE, I'd keep it on 98% of the time. The extra damage could amount to killing a mob a second or two faster, which means much less incoming damage on that difficulty. I would turn it off if things look like they may be going south like if the primary healer dies and you might be healing yourself with pots or scrolls or hoping for secondary heals from another party member. In that case, conserve all the hp you can until things get back in order.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

i use it all the time, unless i solo. when i do solo, i use it for big fights and the endfight. frenzying is a part of the prestige and boosts your dps. if your damage output is more than your healing, than its worth using all the time, but be prepared having pots.

some healers, or others, dont understand frenzying, so if there is a problem frenzying and told to stop, than its a good time to be more self sufficient. playing a frenzied beserker barb taught me a lot about self sufficiency and taking care of myself when healers wouldnt "waste" their sp on my self hurting dps.

I use Frenzy when running that Necro 1 quest that requires a total of 4 people.

He is a really cheap hireling and he is Warforged.

I kinda feel like I am keeping that Barbarian off the street by giving him a job.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Hireling:Frenzy
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Community Member

At L9 with a hireling - if you hire can cope then frenzy away.

At cap/EH/ EE - talking from a Clerics point of view Frenzy/ Death Frenzy as much as you like. Endgame Cleric healing output is superb and can cope with a Death Frenzy Barb spamming supreme Cleaves quite easily (its still worth watching your bar just in case thouhh)

I will say however its worth telling the healer you're doing this out of coutesy - Some wont mind either way (this is where I stand), some dont like Frenzying at all.

Just my opinion from running a L25 Cleric

A frenzy barbarians best friend is a level 12 Radiant Servant swinging their weapon(s) right next to him

If using a healing hire for Solo then using frenzy often can actually reduce the amount of incoming damage overall.

However, in a group at level 9 get a feel for the Cleric/FvS/Bard/Druid if one is present. You may need to limit frenzy to boss fights as not everyone that plays the primary healer role in a party understands the damage potential of a frenzy barbarian.

Personally if I don't see a barbarian taking damage while they are swinging I feel sad that they are playing a gimp fighter.

Personally I used it always, dealt with clerics/fvs that felt I was a burden by drinking my own potions (Stacks of them, but I also farmed Tangleroot and had stacks of the Cure potions available from those turn ins as well as House D)

Quote Originally Posted by enoach View Post
    a frenzy barbarians best friend is a level 12+ radiant servant swinging their weapon(s) right next to him
    qft
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

300% healing amp and vampiric weapons = always frenzied
    Kasik ~20 Rogue~ Fui 18/2 brb/ftr ~ Emmeryl 20 Clr Hilcias 20 Sorc
    Cool kids play on Mabar!