Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    spell traps are supposed to have a DC based on your int.

the problem is that you basically need actual focused caster DCs to be competitive, and i have yet to meet a rogue who has equal int to a well-built wizard, never mind enough int beyond that to compensate for not having spell focus and greater spell focus, and especially never mind enough int beyond that to compensate for not being able to use a spell focus item to increase the DC, and double especially never mind enough beyond that to compensate for not having heighten.

or, in other words... making the DC based on your int is clearly not enough. DC 10 + 1/2 (rogue + artificer) level + int would help.

UMD might help a bit, but really the problem is mostly setup time. if you could get DCs in the 60s, people might be willing to wait (and that would also be quite OP probably), but barring that... nobody is going to wait for you to set up those traps when you can get a much better result by just bringing along someone who can cast the spell in the first place, requiring much less time.
    like i said, just set the DC = to your disable device score when setting the trap (not counting the thieves' tools bonus of course)
    with the cooldown and the activation time on the traps, it's not really that broken
    and if Mechanic PrE reduces cooldown and activation, it's a pretty nifty bonus
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    like i said, just set the DC = to your disable device score when setting the trap (not counting the thieves' tools bonus of course)
    with the cooldown and the activation time on the traps, it's not really that broken
    and if Mechanic PrE reduces cooldown and activation, it's a pretty nifty bonus
    no, that definitely would be broken.

let's suppose a quick gear swap brings your int high enough to have a +7 mod (i don't think that's unreasonable, but YMMV).

now, let's add 23 ranks, 20 competence item 5 epic levels, 4 greater heroism, 3 enhancement item, 2 rogue skill boost.

we'll stop there, but if we were to add every possible buff (like +4 for enhancements, up to +5 from skill boost instead of +2, +2 from bard song, +1/2/3 exceptional from greensteel item, +3 alchemy from collectible pots, etc) it can get pretty ridiculous.

so far, you'd be up to 57 DC just from that. that's with basically no sacrifices made whatsoever. do you have any idea what a wizard has to give up just to get that DC in a single spell school? and that is with very little investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Even this "mindless" fanboi has to 100% agree with this...Imagine how awesome this game would be if the devs ever followed through on something!
    This will be the only time I ever say this - I agree with thrudh.

EDIT: Whoa - I need to lie down a bit.
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 02-10-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tfangel View Post
    Doesn't matter how fun or interesting something in the game is, it will get ignored by players if it doesn't help zerg faster. Why bother setting traps when most would just zerg past them to finish the quest that much faster on their way to farm or TR? Heck, most players just run through enemy traps anyway. It's a neat system, but why waste development time on something players will ignore anyway?
    True to some extent, but those of us who solo would use them... we tend not to zerg, 'cause the rest of the party gets angry.

The last Dev activity I can recall on player-made traps was when they took away the ability to put them down in public and use them like stairs. Please note that this was also taking away the only practical use traps ever had.

I wanted to like making traps, I really did. And I tried to find a use for them, I really did. But - they were nothing but a disappointment from day-one. I almost feel like the Devs got tired of seeing the headline in the Suggestions & Ideas forum of "Let Us Make Trapz!", and did as little as possible to make it seem like at least a halfhearted effort went into putting traps in the game, then forbade the topic from coming up at morning meetings from that point hence.

They really suck. Did I mention that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    lol so true.

Stone of change crafting - pretty much forgotten

Epic Augments 1 - nm, lets start a new system

Guild Augments - nm, lets start a new system

PrEs - nm, we're working on a new system

Cannith crafting - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild levels and titles - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild ship buffs - "we will get back to adding higher level ship buffs once guilds start getting over 70"...forgotten

MyDDO beta - speaks for itself
    It's actually pretty depressing when you put it that way =/

This game would be so different if all of those things had been finished...

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The last Dev activity I can recall on player-made traps was when they took away the ability to put them down in public and use them like stairs. Please note that this was also taking away the only practical use traps ever had.

I wanted to like making traps, I really did. And I tried to find a use for them, I really did. But - they were nothing but a disappointment from day-one. I almost feel like the Devs got tired of seeing the headline in the Suggestions & Ideas forum of "Let Us Make Trapz!", and did as little as possible to make it seem like at least a halfhearted effort went into putting traps in the game, then forbade the topic from coming up at morning meetings from that point hence.

They really suck. Did I mention that?
    Lol I forgot about that... Stairway to Velah haha

Default modules

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    I mean I'm always collecting these useless trap parts that fill up my ingredient bags (SO ANNOYING) and there's literally nothing to do with them.
    i agree with you that trapmaking could be made more useful.

on a sidenote, trap parts are not totally useless: the mechanical trap parts can be used to craft modules for arti's iron defenders or druid's wolf companions (along with handwraps these trap parts make a module for the companion to wear).

http://ddowiki.com/page/Companion_Collar

worked fine for me, although that has been a while ago, so i don't know if they changed that/did away with it.

Trapmaking was in a comatose state since its conception and up until they added runestones to Cannith Crafting.

That was a surprise kick in the teeth that killed it.

The DCs on both the magical traps and the grenades/mines always have been too low even for high int rogue mechs (supposedly the best at this job since arties seemed to count the same as the other rogue pres in the trapmaking ranking [back when mechs would find a lot of trap parts and the others 0 or only a few, now everyone gets trap parts everywhere]).

The damage of the grenades/mines is craptastic: they don't use weighted dices and aren't amped by anything as far as i could tell (no amp from SP items, no amp from wand and scroll enhancements [that would have been cool]).

This leaves two uses for the trapmaking stations: noisemakers that can help soloing stealth players and collars/modules ...

Personally i have high hopes for the enhancements pass to bring justice to trapmaking and to rogue mechs (that should be the best at the job, screw you plink-plonk-plank arties!), we'll have to wait and see.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by carll78 View Post
    Well... The only good reason I see to keep those trap parts is to be able to craft Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship .

For example you can take 25 Fire Trap parts + 25 Sonic Trap parts + 1 Mark of House Cannith and bingo!

Why use Greater Essence or Lesser Essence to make those while those useless Trap parts can be used ?
    +1 for the nice tip.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Jay203 View Post
    That puts it right in line with Bard DCs being based off Perform. Are the folks saying this would be brokenly OP also calling for nerfing Bards?

Quote Originally Posted by carll78 View Post
    Well... The only good reason I see to keep those trap parts is to be able to craft Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship .

For example you can take 25 Fire Trap parts + 25 Sonic Trap parts + 1 Mark of House Cannith and bingo!

Why use Greater Essence or Lesser Essence to make those while those useless Trap parts can be used ?
    ****, I never realized those could be used as crafting ingredients lol

/signed to making traps useful and fun. Also signed to finishing many other systems in the game that have never been completed.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Community Member

I've only been running a rogue for a little while now and was considering putting the effort into making a few traps, but it seems from reading this thread that it's not worth the effort or action points - thanks for the tip.

I guess trap parts will just join the large list of other collectibles that end up filling my bags and do nothing except add to my encumberance until I get round to dumping them off the side of the guild ship.

It seems to me that the whole crafting system needs a complete overhaul. There are simply far too many ingredients/essences/marks/seals/god knows what else.Surely Turbine don't make that much money from selling bags?
    Cannith: Yasina, Sarasina, Treyanna, Tresina
    Sarlona: Jatner, Yannow, Justanna

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Instead of traps, give rogues and artificers the ability to create a wide variety of grenades, which can be used as throwing weapons, or in turn used in recipes to create magical ammunition for bows and crossbows, if desired. I can see grenades being used by rogues when sneak attacks aren't practical against some mobs.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see epic traps in EE content, where fighting mobs in small groups and doing as much damage as you can while taking as little damage as possible is paramount.
    It might be interesting if your artificer or rogue could make a summon tool (like the Snow Elemental Gem, The Mabar Gems, or the Cove Gems) that brought out different types of Iron Defenders for a time. You could use mechanical parts and then there are different recipes using the other trap parts. It would even be thematic.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    It might be interesting if your artificer or rogue could make a summon tool (like the Snow Elemental Gem, The Mabar Gems, or the Cove Gems) that brought out different types of Iron Defenders for a time. You could use mechanical parts and then there are different recipes using the other trap parts. It would even be thematic.
    ZOMG, yes! That would be so cool, to make summoned pets out of parts. For a rogue, it would be the perfect agro diversion.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    ...( unless you could make a vacuum II weapon and had a high crit range... ) ...
    I use my vac II to collect soul gems while I'm doing other stuff. If I used it just to farm for soul gems I'd be frustrated with the low proc. If I want specific soul gems for something I want to make now I use a wizard.

Orchard SRE tends to yield enough undead soul gems that I don't run out.

You mean like Pokeballs?

Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    lol so true.

Stone of change crafting - pretty much forgotten

Epic Augments 1 - nm, lets start a new system

Guild Augments - nm, lets start a new system

PrEs - nm, we're working on a new system

Cannith crafting - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild levels and titles - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild ship buffs - "we will get back to adding higher level ship buffs once guilds start getting over 70"...forgotten

MyDDO beta - speaks for itself
    Yep, very sad

Community Member

It's not only that they're worthless as is, but it's a matter of convenience also. In terms of ingredients, it's overly complex- it's not just essences and parts that you pick up automatically, but having to buy scrolls and bottles. And it's nowhere near a bank or scroll vendors, so it's out of the way on top of everything.
    At least with cannith crafting you can make those nifty petrify runestones.

That would be cool, as long as they didn't spam grease.

So I was thinking about this again. I think traps as they are right now could be useful IF they had a meaningful mechanic prestige that boosted them. Give a mechanic a bigger boost to the damage, cooldown, duration, and DC of the traps as well as making the damage from the repeaters competitive with artificers and some other perks and you would see a lot more build diversity and even some trap laying. 10+1/2 rogue level+INT as a base is not bad actually. Add +4 DC for each Mechanic prestige level and you have a meaningful DC that isn't OP and that doesn't replace casters by any means. If you worked super hard at it, you could get CC into the 50s but would still be subject to SR and couldn't be boosted by gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...
    Proud member of Tyrs Paladium

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast