Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hey Devs: What the heck happened to Trapmaking?

Trapmaking is a huge joke in this game, and literally has ZERO uses (although I feel like someone somewhere has probably used noisemakers for something, not enough to justify the whole system).

I mean I'm always collecting these useless trap parts that fill up my ingredient bags (SO ANNOYING) and there's literally nothing to do with them.

I don't know if Rogues need the boost but Arty's might in end game so why don't you make some interesting expanded Epic recipes? It wouldn't take much, just more mats higher DC, and more damage or effects.

It's a really cool potential system that adds to crafting but right now it's just a waste.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

This is how anything in this game works.
    They got cool idea, they release partially finished system, and abandom it after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    This is how anything in this game works.
    They got cool idea, they release partially finished system, and abandom it after a while.
    Even this "mindless" fanboi has to 100% agree with this...

This game is chock-full of unfinished projects.

Still fun though... Imagine how awesome this game would be if the devs ever followed through on something!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Even this "mindless" fanboi has to 100% agree with this...

This game is chock-full of unfinished projects.

Still fun though... Imagine how awesome this game would be if the devs ever followed through on something!
    lol so true.

Stone of change crafting - pretty much forgotten

Epic Augments 1 - nm, lets start a new system

Guild Augments - nm, lets start a new system

PrEs - nm, we're working on a new system

Cannith crafting - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild levels and titles - pretty much forgotten by the devs

Guild ship buffs - "we will get back to adding higher level ship buffs once guilds start getting over 70"...forgotten

MyDDO beta - speaks for itself

Doesn't matter how fun or interesting something in the game is, it will get ignored by players if it doesn't help zerg faster. Why bother setting traps when most would just zerg past them to finish the quest that much faster on their way to farm or TR? Heck, most players just run through enemy traps anyway. It's a neat system, but why waste development time on something players will ignore anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by tfangel View Post
    Doesn't matter how fun or interesting something in the game is, it will get ignored by players if it doesn't help zerg faster. Why bother setting traps when most would just zerg past them to finish the quest that much faster on their way to farm or TR? Heck, most players just run through enemy traps anyway. It's a neat system, but why waste development time on something players will ignore anyway?
    Hence why they created spell wards, which slow you at the same time as damage/poison.
    Sarkiki - Orexis - Pallikaria - Epithymia - Musouka - Empnefsi | Cannith Server

Quote Originally Posted by tfangel View Post
    this is true. there was a thread recently that the 5 second search for a trap was too long and people wanted it shortened. if people cant wait 5 seconds for a search, another 5 seconds for a disable (which may or may not include switching gear) than a group cant wait the time it takes to place a trap for mobs.

trapmaking seems to be more for a rogue who solos and if the rogue actuallys puts use to it. do rogues zerg? sneak zerg?

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    this is true. there was a thread recently that the 5 second search for a trap was too long and people wanted it shortened. if people cant wait 5 seconds for a search, another 5 seconds for a disable (which may or may not include switching gear) than a group cant wait the time it takes to place a trap for mobs.

trapmaking seems to be more for a rogue who solos and if the rogue actuallys puts use to it. do rogues zerg? sneak zerg?
    Instead of traps, give rogues and artificers the ability to create a wide variety of grenades, which can be used as throwing weapons, or in turn used in recipes to create magical ammunition for bows and crossbows, if desired. I can see grenades being used by rogues when sneak attacks aren't practical against some mobs.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to see epic traps in EE content, where fighting mobs in small groups and doing as much damage as you can while taking as little damage as possible is paramount.

Well... The only good reason I see to keep those trap parts is to be able to craft Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship .

For example you can take 25 Fire Trap parts + 25 Sonic Trap parts + 1 Mark of House Cannith and bingo!

Why use Greater Essence or Lesser Essence to make those while those useless Trap parts can be used ?
    Follow me if I advance. Kill me if I retreat. Avenge me if I die.

lol have you seen the crafting system?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    Instead of traps, give rogues and artificers the ability to create a wide variety of grenades, which can be used as throwing weapons
    Well, until they give us the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, at least we have these. My Rogue and Artificer uses all 3 types of the major ones in EN and EH very successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by carll78 View Post
    Well... The only good reason I see to keep those trap parts is to be able to craft Shards of Masterful Craftsmanship .

For example you can take 25 Fire Trap parts + 25 Sonic Trap parts + 1 Mark of House Cannith and bingo!

Why use Greater Essence or Lesser Essence to make those while those useless Trap parts can be used ?
    Wait, you can do that?
    What other known substitutes are there?

Quote Originally Posted by Narfle_the_Garthok View Post
    Wait, you can do that?
    What other known substitutes are there?
    i don't think you can... but i suppose i could be wrong.

if they can, someone should check if you can use them for shards of potential as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    Narfle and Jaid: AHEM.
    AHEM what?

anyways, minor side note for HatsuharuZ:

there are already grenades. they do quite a bit less damage than traps, but then again, they also fire much faster. and i think you also get a *slightly* better amount of grenades per trap component than you do with traps.

You know, there is even trap-based dragonmark (dwarven one) exists which is useless for 6 years now...

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    Trapmaking is a huge joke in this game, and literally has ZERO uses (although I feel like someone somewhere has probably used noisemakers for something, not enough to justify the whole system).

I mean I'm always collecting these useless trap parts that fill up my ingredient bags (SO ANNOYING) and there's literally nothing to do with them.

I don't know if Rogues need the boost but Arty's might in end game so why don't you make some interesting expanded Epic recipes? It wouldn't take much, just more mats higher DC, and more damage or effects.

It's a really cool potential system that adds to crafting but right now it's just a waste.
    As it is I will concur with the fact that Trapmaking is not worth the effort.
    As I will concur with all the 'semi finished craftings' everybody quoted.

There's two huge problems in trapmaking though :
    - It takes too long to set up the traps. The casting time is way longer than any spell, so unless you are in a flower sniffer party when your trap is set your party members will be beyond the corner killing the mob you wanted to attract in your trap. ( if not two encounters away )

- Noisemakers are good for stealth soloing quests ( Epic Claw for example ). They attract mobs and let you sneak by. But that the only ones that have some use.

- Grenades have some use as ranged weapons, but again it's highly situational.

- Last, and it has luckily been changed when Cannith Crafting was added, the highest damage options used Soul Gems... which was a Pita to gather for rogue types. ( unless you could make a vacuum II weapon and had a high crit range... )

So all in all, right now the only use for trap parts is to make collars for Wolf and Hound, and to make noise makers.
    And for that you only need mechanical trap parts.

Now the sad bit is that spell wards don't give trap parts ( they should give magical and the element they use )... and anyway everybody zergs through them and half the old ( eberron ) traps are broken and don't give anything or give fire parts and eventually some other parts.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

I use noisemakers when I solo sneak a quest. I use ice traps to activate "sleeping" mobs so I can assassinate them without getting aggro. The damage they do is pitifully negligible.

It would be soooo easy to make this system more worthwhile. ^2 all the damage. Make traps that will Slow or Paralyze etc mobs with a useful DC (right now the DC is the same as the scroll, would be cool if it used you INT DC or UMD score etc). Make grenades a 10 second AOE. Reduce the cooldown on laying the traps (honestly, 15 sec is way too long) to about 5 sec.

Boom, something at least semi-useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...
    Proud member of Tyrs Paladium

web traps are useful for a while
    noise traps are useful if you're a sneaky type

they really need to fix the DC calculation for it...
    make the DC = to your disable device regardless of PrE, but Mechanics get cooldown reduction by 1/3, 1/2, and no cooldown
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by bhgiant View Post
    I use noisemakers when I solo sneak a quest. I use ice traps to activate "sleeping" mobs so I can assassinate them without getting aggro. The damage they do is pitifully negligible.

It would be soooo easy to make this system more worthwhile. ^2 all the damage. Make traps that will Slow or Paralyze etc mobs with a useful DC (right now the DC is the same as the scroll, would be cool if it used you INT DC or UMD score etc). Make grenades a 10 second AOE. Reduce the cooldown on laying the traps (honestly, 15 sec is way too long) to about 5 sec.

Boom, something at least semi-useful.
    spell traps are supposed to have a DC based on your int.

the problem is that you basically need actual focused caster DCs to be competitive, and i have yet to meet a rogue who has equal int to a well-built wizard, never mind enough int beyond that to compensate for not having spell focus and greater spell focus, and especially never mind enough int beyond that to compensate for not being able to use a spell focus item to increase the DC, and double especially never mind enough beyond that to compensate for not having heighten.

or, in other words... making the DC based on your int is clearly not enough. DC 10 + 1/2 (rogue + artificer) level + int would help.

UMD might help a bit, but really the problem is mostly setup time. if you could get DCs in the 60s, people might be willing to wait (and that would also be quite OP probably), but barring that... nobody is going to wait for you to set up those traps when you can get a much better result by just bringing along someone who can cast the spell in the first place, requiring much less time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast