Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Default /fun on; /stress off

I’ve been around the block a few times.
    Been playing DDO since about three months after it hit the store shelves.
    Played a few other online multiplayer games.
    Getting up there in age too….
    So…. I have a pretty good idea on how I want to play this game, what I think is fun, and especially how I want to treat other people. (even online people that I will never meet)

Now, like I said, I’ve been playing DDO awhile. I have finished all but two quests in the game (maybe not all of the challenges though) and I have at least attempted those two quests.
    I believe I have done over 98% of the quests on elite… or old epic. Done almost all epics on EH. And several on EE. (the things I have not done has been because of a lack of “friendly” LFMs)
    Yeah… I think I know a thing or two about DDO.

I PUG. Having only a few regular guildies/friends in-game.
    I have seen just about every kind of player.

My point?
    Not once have I ever wanted to /kick someone.
    Not once have I ever cared about someone else’s death(s).
    Or DPS. Or HP… build… gear… etc.

I have seen the occasional piker. The guy who goes AFK forever.
    Might have been in a Shroud run where the leader was dualboxing. (annoying)

I have been kinda upset when someone releases. (if your soul stone is unretreavable, I will tell you!)
    ….even then I didn’t want to kick them. (well… not from the party anyway. )

I have occasionally, been kinda bothered that a group of players wants to do elite, when they are obviously not ready.
    … I hate to fail.

But what I hate worse, is giving up.
    If I just spent a bunch of time and effort and resources on you, you had better not quit on me. (you probably knew quiet well we were doing elite)

I’ve had to practice triage.
    I have made a conscience choice to not use res scrolls on someone (once!) (and I think his name started with Dragon! )

…. I have been in groups that “I” wanted to leave.
    Usually because they weren’t fun people to group with.
    Usually elitist.
    Sometimes just because they were so much better than me, I felt useless.
    Quiet often because they wanted to……well…. Cheat IMO. (super cheesy is just about the same thing as cheating… and just as much fun)
    I have also left after a quest when people said they wanted to grind it.

Anyway, no amount of screening would have warned me about the groups that I disliked.
    Never did I really want to /kick anyone… closest would be the guy who goes off to solo the dungeon and expects us to watch him while he does. (but his characters name should have been warning enough.)

Actually… character name may be the best screening tool we have available!
    If it is offensive or crude for instance, that is probably the type of player that I do not want to group with.
    In short,
    I want a nice friendly game. Good attitude is the most important thing.
    I would prefer you come prepared. Prefer you were near my level of playing ability. At least able to handle the content and not be so good that I feel useless.

Stay together. (more or less)
    Never leave anyone behind.
    Don’t offer unsolicited build advice.
    Tolerate bad judgments.
    Don’t worry about XP. (it will come)
    …But. do not be quick to release…. That is just wasting XP IMO. (I can get you up…. Really….. yes…. Even from under the nose of 50 monsters. Even in most lava…… seriously… trust me…. Be patient…… I’m not uber DPS, but just as soon as I can get rid of some of this agro, I’ll figure out a way.)

I’d prefer if we kill as we go. Unless you want to sneak by something… or maybe Invis by it. As long as you understand that we leave no one behind, and that Dungeon Alert is not fun, and may get us killed.

I’d prefer if you have heals and cures. Not required, but we help each other in my groups… we don’t wait for clerics… and we do tuff content.
    You will probably have more fun if you come prepared.

But at any rate.
    I won’t kick you.
    I won’t hate you for being a noob.
    I won’t blacklist you for being a noob. ( I don’t even have a blacklist for elitist…although I do remember a few names)

We’re here to have fun. Being heroes!
    So leave the anti-social anti-tolerant stressing everything stuff behind.
    Last edited by Talon_Moonshadow; 02-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Oh, and...

Your loot is your loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Oh, and...

Your loot is your loot.
    But is my loot still mine?

It's a shame the LFM system is so limited. Finding those random few who share ones views on play style and gaming demeanor is terribly difficult at the best of times. I haven't PUG'ed in a great while as I'm lucky enough to have found a compatible static group. I still take a look at the LFM panel on occasion which reminds me why I haven't PUG'ed in a great while. The descriptions make most appear to have had fun precluded from the start. I know, I know; fun is subjective; to each his own.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    It's a shame the LFM system is so limited. Finding those random few who share ones views on play style and gaming demeanor is terribly difficult at the best of times. I haven't PUG'ed in a great while as I'm lucky enough to have found a compatible static group. I still take a look at the LFM panel on occasion which reminds me why I haven't PUG'ed in a great while. The descriptions make most appear to have had fun precluded from the start. I know, I know; fun is subjective; to each his own.
    Yeah.

I actually put up very few LFMs. Those I do usually just says "taking first five of any class."

Luckily, I do have a few friends who play often enough.

Dungeon scaling.
    Hirelings
    Onyx Panthers

We don't really need a full group to do most dungeons.

EN is easy.
    EH varies, but is usually doable, especially if we get three of us.

If no one is on, I PUG.. if I see a friendly LFM.

Have a bunch of alts (on every server actally)

If nothing else I solo low level favor.

Would be nice if there were more friendly LFMs though.

Great sentiment, Like you fun is my primary motivation. That said I do get annoyed sometimes, and have a few names in my head for certain types of behaviour, 2 people who routinely run off into the distance, ignoring every thing and just going for the end fight. Ramping up difficulties forthe others who are following behind.

One of them was on a rogue life (multi-lifer) and just ignored traps that are well known to 1 shot people - relying on his hi reflex and evasion. He then moaned for ages when people died in the traps that he did not bother to disable. That or when experienced players with legend builds go round doing really stupid things, even after you have asked several times for them to stop. I have no problems with people making mistakes or forgetting or simply not knowing about something, but after you have been asked to stop doing something several times and almost causing a mission critical objective to fail because of it - it is no longer a mistake in my book.
    Thelanis;

I like it. I wish more peeps/pugs were like this.

Quote Originally Posted by slugstone View Post
    I like it. I wish more peeps/pugs were like this.
    I agree.

Last LFM I put up I just used.

"Ruuuun .. Go! Get to the Choppa!"

Took a little while for it to fill but the people all had a good sense of humor. We semi-zerged the quests. Kept it steady and stayed together. Had a great Barb that was good for pulling aggro.

He actually took over the LMF quote and pretty much used it instead of Leroy Jenkins. good times with a fun group.

There are times I wanna Zerg / Farm and that can be great but more often I just was a group of reasonable players with good attitudes and a sense of humor.

I don't mind the occasional zerge.

Lots o fun at times.....

I just don't want to ruin anyone else's fun. Don't want to leave people behind and cause red alert...

(btw.... at red alert... the monsters can See Invisibility!)

I prefer a mix of styles.
    Hate to stand around and do nothing though. But I will gladly wait for people who need AFKs.... to a degree anyway.

But I may go do optional stuff, or take a slow approach to going forward. (play some stealth tricks on the monsters.. and pull back to fight.... stuff that keeps me busy, but doesn't run off and finish the dungeon too fast.

I may not wait forever though.....

(I have one friend in particular who has a habit of taking extended non-anounced AFKs.... also has connection issues, wife agro..... and has even passed out drunk on me. lol... so.... I don't really wait for him. )

I like you, OP. Please remind me to look you up once my characters get to your level.
    Altoholic, barrel-smasher, flower-sniffer, 90% solo-er.
    Khyber: Sianys (28 Tempest), Heldre (20 Warpriest); Argonessen: Thalys (16 Ranger), Alansa (23 Mechanic); Sarlona: Liilana (28 Knight of the Chalice); Thelanis: Berda (18 Kensei/2 Eldritch Knight); Ghallanda: Rahelle (12 Wiz/2 Rogue ); Cannith: Dhia Dhuit (17 Druid)

Well said, OP, and I happen to share your sentiments.

I've never kicked someone, but I came very close for the first time ever just recently. The only thing that prevented said kicking was my not having the star. The reason had nothing to do with hit points, skill level, or gear. To be blunt, the guy was a huge jerk and was stressing out the party.
    The Blue Queen - Shadow Warriors - Cannith

www.twitch.tv/thebluequeen

Actually… character name may be the best screening tool we have available!
    I hear surrounding your name with 'xx' is exactly like putting Dr. before your name except it means the exact opposite, at least on sarlona
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

In my experience, a good time is something that you cultivate. If I'm telling jokes and happy, then even the most elitist of players is laughing along with the rest of the group. If I'm in a horrible mood, chances are that my mood is going to spread. It's difficult to create that kind of a mood when you don't feel like it sometimes, but I hope that I'm successful more often than not.
    --Pealea, Peawee, worldpeas, givepeas achance, and whoopea on Khyber

Default Casual Player on G-Land

I will group with Talon, or anyone like him/her, anytime and anywhere. We are here to have fun!! Look me up sometime - Khedias, Tibbledorf, Timothyjames, Pashapook, Pasharildoar, Azoun, Garumn and Kensikath. I am, at most, a casual gamer and not on very often (single father).

Get into the Choppaaaaa!!!!
    Founder #9518
    The problem with being punctual is that no one is there to appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    Last LFM I put up I just used.

"Ruuuun .. Go! Get to the Choppa!"
    I'm pretty sure I saw that one. I think the only reason I didn't hit it was one of practicality and the potential for an imminent waggro avoiding DC.

I hope to be like the OP - except sometimes I don't have time for it. It took a week to get my main from L12 to L13 on his fifth life. If that happens, the LFM that appears may say include something like "... at least until I DC". I prefer not to zerg as I'm never very good at it - especially when there's Mario type bouncing around required, plus I LIKE cleaning dungeons out. Elite BB streaking? Yes please, and for it's ok if someone else joins who doesn't know the quest, as long as they're not griefing. The XP not earned due to a single unnecessary death is pittance compared to the streak bonus (It's NOT 10% of the total XP - it's 10% of the BASE!)

There's also a certain individual who ends up in my group, or whose group I join, who seems to have run a whole new life in the space of a few levels for me. Always fun to group with him, as well... while it seems he's on his way to completionist in a hurry, he's always a party member, rarely (but sometimes) a soul stone and will politely bow out after a run if things aren't working within his significant range of tolerance. I just wish I could play as much as he does!

The OP is the longest post I've read through completely in a long time, as it IMNSHO was extremely well written. Here's to vets with tolerance. Remember, it really is just a game. Stressing out is not the point. Chillax!
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sianys View Post
    I like you, OP. Please remind me to look you up once my characters get to your level.

I have lowbies everywhere.

.... but I am really enjoying the lvl 20+ game recently.

All characters are in the "Knights of the Shadows" guild. I have the guild name on every server. You might see someone else besides me in the guild on Thelanis..... but rare. The two current active guildies I have, have most of their toons in another guild.
    But they are laid back too..

... Stuff...
    Oh this post again. No offense op but you make this post about every 3-6 months. Normally it comes post one of "those elitist jerks" booting your unconventional build due to low hp, a *** is that build, or other reason.

Trust me I don't mean this personally but like I say every time that you post this you play your way and I'll play mine. If you are ok dragging along a guy that -10% in every quest go for it, I like/prefer that extra bonus. You are ok dropping back and playing "hjeal me NAOW!" guy in a BYOH group, good for you; I will/might carry their stone to a shrine and/or drop it in lava.

Yes I will get neg rep'd for my honest reply but again I state factually you play your way and I play mine. Heck I grief my guildies when they -10% us especially my boy Rob who finds ways to die that no man ever has before. If I don't feel like babysitting I don't go outside channels, put up lfm, or join pugs, that night. When I do I plan on losing xp, patience and time and am pleasantly surprised when any of the three are avoided.

I'm glad you enjoy the game and like myself have been around since 06, as there are not many of us left. But you do need to realize that not all of us have your tolerance level nor your ideals of what make this game fun.
    Last edited by darkrune; 02-08-2013 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Damn iPhone autocorrect.
    Darkrune TRx2 lvl 20 FvS, Darkdivinity lvl 20 cleric, Darkaxe lvl 20 fighter, Darktune TRx1 lvl 4bard, Darkbow lvl 20 AA Ranger, Darksoldier TRx1 lvl 20 Barb, Darkspells TRx2 lvl 20 Wizard, Darkbattle TRx1 lvl 20 artificer, Darktemper lvl 17 Ranger, Darkfists TRx1 lvl 20 Monk, Darkherald lvl 5 paladin Guild Leader of No Politics Thelanis Server

I used to post LFM's up more often. Some quests I still prefer to solo, if only for testing purposes. (The Pit, anyone?)

At one point, I was just running things on normal / hard, then put up an LFM for elite. (Despite making a thread on what quests can be run solo, and another on what to run past level 11.)

I would really like to group more often, but sometimes, people make it really hard to do. Perhaps I'm just being hard on people. Maybe I should try again, see how it goes. Maybe I'll pick up a few friends along the way. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Meetch1972 View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw that one. I think the only reason I didn't hit it was one of practicality and the potential for an imminent waggro avoiding DC.

I hope to be like the OP - except sometimes I don't have time for it. It took a week to get my main from L12 to L13 on his fifth life. If that happens, the LFM that appears may say include something like "... at least until I DC". I prefer not to zerg as I'm never very good at it - especially when there's Mario type bouncing around required, plus I LIKE cleaning dungeons out. Elite BB streaking? Yes please, and for it's ok if someone else joins who doesn't know the quest, as long as they're not griefing. The XP not earned due to a single unnecessary death is pittance compared to the streak bonus (It's NOT 10% of the total XP - it's 10% of the BASE!)

There's also a certain individual who ends up in my group, or whose group I join, who seems to have run a whole new life in the space of a few levels for me. Always fun to group with him, as well... while it seems he's on his way to completionist in a hurry, he's always a party member, rarely (but sometimes) a soul stone and will politely bow out after a run if things aren't working within his significant range of tolerance. I just wish I could play as much as he does!

The OP is the longest post I've read through completely in a long time, as it IMNSHO was extremely well written. Here's to vets with tolerance. Remember, it really is just a game. Stressing out is not the point. Chillax!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast