Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favored Souls?

Community Member

Default Favored Souls?

Trying to find out information for FvS, as a friend of mine bought the FvS pack and 32 point builds but is leaving ddo after only a month or two of playing (he has more $$ than sense, but I'm not saying anything ).

Looking around on the forums, it seems that 90% of the FvS builds I'm finding are 2nd life builds, are there any FvS builds that are good for a 1st lifer who solos half the time? Or should I just 1st life a cleric and then TR into a Fvs?

I like the idea of using a 2H weapon + Heavy Armor and being able to self heal from the get-go, so any / all advice welcome and accepted.

Thanks in advance!

They are clerics with more sp and no aura. That's about it.

There are other differences that mean nothing, and there is a huge amount of hype from last year when they were the flavor of the month, but meh. It's a cleric.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
    Looking around on the forums, it seems that 90% of the FvS builds I'm finding are 2nd life builds, are there any FvS builds that are good for a 1st lifer who solos half the time?
    I doubt very many of those build absolutely need the past lives. You could make a fine FvS on a first life.

Quote Originally Posted by oldweasel View Post
    I like the idea of using a 2H weapon + Heavy Armor and being able to self heal from the get-go, so any / all advice welcome and accepted.
    No reason you couldn't do that. I don't want to give you specifics, as I have not done a melee-focused FvS. But I see enough of them around and doing fine that I'm sure it's an okay option.

One thing, though, FvS doesn't get Heavy Armor proficiency, only Medium. That's not an issue if you're planning to splash Fighter or something, as that covers your weapon and Heavy Armor proficiencies.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    They are clerics with more sp and no aura. That's about it.
    You forgot the cripplingly few spell slots.

If you've levelled a Cleric, levelling a FvS is so painful, because it takes so long to get spell slots, even just for the must-have spells. You just can't fit those situationally-awesome spells at all.

The PrE bonuses are nice, though. Revved up BB, and free DPS from shoulder-cannon, plus debuff on foes.

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post

If you've levelled a Cleric, levelling a FvS is so painful, because it takes so long to get spell slots, even just for the must-have spells. You just can't fit those situationally-awesome spells at all.

The PrE bonuses are nice, though. Revved up BB, and free DPS from shoulder-cannon, plus debuff on foes.
    FVS until 12 can be ... difficult. If you ignore DCs though, it is less difficult ;-)

I've played a number of melee FVS - two that were pure, one that was an 18/2 TWF split. One of the melee was a WF, the other was a human swinging a greataxe (human was a first-lifer).

You can absolutely do fine w/ a melee FVS using heals, buffs and DC-unimportant damage spells. The ED even gives good CHA based options if you wanted to be CHA focused.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Splashing
    2 lvl Paladin, gets you heavy armor and a lot better safes (safes are worth that much and more)
    If you only want a selfhealing melee i would also take 2 lvl of fighter, gives you 2 feats which makes getting all those melee feats into your build way easier.

Most builds are second life because they try to go for melee and good DC (or 2wf) which takes a lot of points but 32point is good enough.
    Taenebrae, Daemonsoul, Daemoneyes and Daemonheart of Argonessen
    Glitzakram - Trade Thread

Now that you mention it yes. I would switch between chaos hammer and orders wrath on my cleric while leveling, and on fvs I couldnt fit either of them.

As far as BB, when on a divine it's awesome but, I just leveled up an arti and my goodness is it annoying when divines spam that garbage all over the place kiting things around when I know the mobs would take one hit from mine and drop. But I can't cast it because it doesn't stack then they've overlapped theirs all over the dungeon.

The shoulder cannon, the aura, it's more like a crosshair for cometfalls and lightning bolts, it pulls argo from a room away before the door is even open. It's probably the main reason why fvs run through the dungeon casting blade barrier. At least they got rid of the sound effect.

Community Member

I’m newer to the game, been only playing for about 4 months. My 1st life FvS is a 32 point build and is about to turn 15.

Starting off, the ONLY reason I stayed playing this guy is because I purchased FvS and used a Tome of Learning. I spent real money and I will make it work for me! I have read a bunch about level 12, so that was my goal. I also read a few people stated they are great as a solo class. I should also let you know I’m a melee at heart, but since I solo a bunch I understand the need for healing and other spells as well.

I do have some other lower level toons, but I wanted to enjoy the game instead of playing the same low level quests over and over again.

Now that I’ve learned the game more, and understand my spells a bit better, I’ve learned to play my FvS better as well. They are not great at melee, but the spells gives me a bit of an increase with that style. My goal right now is to get to level 20 and TR. In fact, I might go back to FvS, but I’m not sure. More than likely I’m going to get him to 20 and park him for a bit. I might level my Ranger/Rogue and see how he plays.

Anyways, according to your play style I might make the following recommendation:

18 Fvs/2 Ftr, Half-elf with Paladin Dilettante. You will get skills with 2HW and heavy armors, plus you can switch to a sword and shield options when you feel that might be a good in some circumstances. I really like beating those saving throws, so I like the Paladin route. I believe FvS and Monks have the best general saves in the game, and of course paladins with their granted ability.

Another option could be 12 Ftr/8 cleric, which is something I wish I had done several times during my lower levels.

I hope this was somewhat helpful

Having brought both Cleric and Favored Soul to level 20, I find the Favored Soul so much more fun to play. Until the Cleric gets more interesting Prestiges, I personally found little reason to play them if you have the option to do both. The Cleric's Aura is nice to have but I'd rather take the much larger pool of spell points to do as I see fit. Favored Souls naturally get wings although now with Epic Destinies everyone can get them. Favored Souls feel more damage focused, which is what I prefer to do. Favored Souls do have fewer spell slots but that is easily made up by the fact most spells aren't very useful and/or they can be scrolled if you did need them. Angel of Vengeance is great to have for the Favored Soul.

When a Cleric joins a party a lot of people just see a healbot (even if the Cleric happens to be a great damage dealer). When a Favored Soul joins a party people expect them to do more. From my experiences at least.
    Orien Player: Semirasai, ~3~ L28 Drow Wizard :: Kaethe, ~5~ L13 Halfling Barb/Bard/Rog :: Esthera, ~2~ L26 Human Favored Soul
    Sophiae, L20 Drow Bard :: Kitarina, L20 Half-Orc Fighter :: Aadia, L20 Half-Elf Sorcerer :: Olesia, ~2~ L15 Sun Elf Cleric/Monk

My first life on hops was a 28 point wf favored soul 20.
    Toughness, adamantine armor, powerattack, quicken and empower always on, impr crit slashing.
    dump wisdom, prep buffs and heals.
    Get the bare minimum in cha, considering +6 item and possibly tomes. Put the rest in str and con.
    Kick ass.

Lack of spell slots on a FvS is more than offset by the simple fact that almost all divine spells are useless garbage that aren't worth memorizing in the first place.

My alt-box cleric has a dozen or more spell slots filled with stuff just to have the slot filled; the spells never get cast.

Chaos Hammer? Order's Wrath? You're better off meleeing with a +1 club and a 10 strength.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

To illustrate the spell slot crunch...

A level 9 cleric has Raise Dead, Divine Punishment, and CLW Mass.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 13, can't even get two until level 11.

A level 11 cleric has Heal, Blade Barrier, and CMW Mass.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 15, can't even get two until level 13.

A level 8 cleric has DW, FoM, and Panacea.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 11.

At level 20, this doesn't matter (unless you splash). While leveling, it is brutal unless you play your FvS as a self-healing (only) melee, and if you're doing that you may as well be a paladin and be much better at both.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    At level 20, this doesn't matter (unless you splash). While leveling, it is brutal unless you play your FvS as a self-healing (only) melee, and if you're doing that you may as well be a paladin and be much better at both.
    Agreed that it's brutal levelling, but disagree that it doesn't matter at 20. It's still tough even then.

Default FVS hard to level? Really?

I'll be the first to admit that I am not an uber power gamer, but I am flabbergasted by the suggestions that it is hard to level a melee fvs. I have capped a paladin, a barbarian, a wf wiz, wf sorc, and 18fvs/2ftr half orc.

While the wf arcanes were the easiest, the fvs was still fairly easy and far easier than the barb or paladin in my opinion.

To be fair, the paladin was my very first DDO character, and the FVS had luxury of a barb PL and decent leveling gear for THF fighting.

But, really...swinging a big ol' weapon and spamming self-heals as necessary...maybe some blade barrier action when kiting was a more useful strategy...FOM, DW, TS, resists, all available on demand...this was a dream compared to the barbarian.

I could solo BB elite through GH easily...got a little more challenging later, and I dropped to a hard streak around 18, but it was really pretty straightforward.

The only weakness was ranged combat (DCs are bad), but really that is no different than many melee builds.

Just my two cents...

FVS are ridiculously easy to level IMO even now. The massive amount of SPs, DP, wings, BB, and shoulder cannon made it pretty easy for folks to run around kiting willy nilly. There was a reason that everyone was winging around on a FvS a year ago before EDs. Before EDs most of the soloed this, soloed that achievements were overwhelmingly favored souls.

Now with the AC changes and PRR, a paladin (once shunned by all) is a great option for a self-sufficient melee.

Community Member

Having recently leveled two favored souls, I'd say that the rough spots are 1-8. Until then you are a weak melee with some decent crowd control options (command, sound burst, hold person) and a nice single target spell (searing light).

Once you get to 8 you get holy smite and it just picks up from there. Just with holy smite you can round up and destroy large groups of mobs at once.

Once you get to 10 you pick up flame strike, which further increases your aoe nuking capabilities. By this stage I rarely ever use a weapon. Simply rounding up mobs and casting both spells will kill most things on elite BB runs.

Once you get Blade barrier, there is no strategy needed for much of the content. Just run to the end of the quest spamming blade barriers whenever they come off cool-down.

The above strategy works even with a WIS dumped FvS, as even at half damage your aoe's will still rip through most mobs. Just don't bother killing archers. That's what the melees are there for.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

To illustrate the spell slot crunch...
    Going through each level's spell list, I have trouble finding more than 4 spells at any level that I actually care about memorizing. At some levels, I have trouble finding more than 2.

Divine spells are almost entirely rubbish. The handful that are good haul the dead weight of the rest. You can make a completely dominating divine by using about 8 spells in total.

The cleric "advantage"...just isn't. Yes, it's mildly convenient to get your next level spells a level earlier, but this is hardly the basis for superiority. Each level of the divine list needs to have 4-5 spells added that someone might actually want to use.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    Going through each level's spell list, I have trouble finding more than 4 spells at any level that I actually care about memorizing. At some levels, I have trouble finding more than 2.
    That's too bad. I don't have that trouble.

Divine spells are almost entirely rubbish.
    LOL.

The cleric "advantage"...just isn't.
    It's a huge advantage to me. Or anyone else who knows how to use the awesome options the divine spell list presents.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by nni View Post
    Once you get to 10 you pick up flame strike, which further increases your aoe nuking capabilities.
    Interesting. I'd never pick up Flame Strike on a FvS at all, as there's simply no room for it.

Levelled clr two times, fvs two times and last life will be probably fvs too, so my perspective ( 90 percent solo, duo, group for Wiz king, GH, Necro if I recognize some people ):

A level 9 cleric has Raise Dead, Divine Punishment, and CLW Mass.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 13, can't even get two until level 11.
    Slay living first, scroll Raise ( never even memorize it ), then DP, start using heal scrolls
    A level 11 cleric has Heal, Blade Barrier, and CMW Mass.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 15, can't even get two until level 13.
    Blade barrier first ( really it only sucks that you don't have it for Vons, Heal+quicken at 14 only if going to do Adq and some tanking, otherwise I get comet 2nd because scrolls are still enough.
    A level 8 cleric has DW, FoM, and Panacea.
    A FvS can't get all three until level 11.
    First lvl 4 spell is absolutely holy smite ( really only aoe with soundburst ), then fom, then dw ( Tangleroot clickies until then, Panacea, huh don't even remember last time I saw it by anyone.
    I disagree. It sucks until 8 but then you have holy smite+soundburst ( of course you have to have plenty of sp and radiance item+maximize, so your newbie cleric probably doesn't have it ), some melee for Delera and until lvl 12.
    And you really aren't serious comparing lvl 12paladin and caster fvs power, are you ? I would argue that lvl 12 divine is more effective than any 18 -20 melee. Elite OOB, Wiz king, Dreams of insanity, Mired in Kobolds maybe even Vol, elite Litany and hard Sins at 12 ( not sure what min level is ), your typical melee would have problems, it's a routine for fvs.
    The " spell slot crunch " thing, not a big fan of splashing ( I really like the "relative power" at level, almost as much as greensteel from bank ) but they are still ok with BB at 14.
    Interesting. I'd never pick up Flame Strike on a FvS at all, as there's simply no room for it.
    Yes, and it's slow, stupid targeting.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast