Thread: Greensteel Q's

Community Member

Question Greensteel Q's

Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times, but is there a guide as to what might be good to add to which item? If not, can I pick someone's brain for ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Community Member

Yeah, I saw that page. Not really what I'm looking for.

I'm wondering if there are any particular blanks I should avoid making or putting stuff on, etc, etc...

Particular blanks? such as ? Trying to see exactly what your looking for. I wouldn't recommend throwing weapons unless you have a ton of mats to waste.
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Portals.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    Particular blanks? such as ? Trying to see exactly what your looking for. I wouldn't recommend throwing weapons unless you have a ton of mats to waste.
    Like... Adding the spellpoint benefits to goggles instead of a belt for instance(At least I think that'd be an obvious bad thing)

That is a tough question for several reasons, and any "guide" that was made more than a couple updates ago would be outdated for some builds. You are not aiming at a stationary target. There are some items that can still be useful on almost any build. I have a hp item on most of all of my toons, but the slot and the effects are different. My casters normally have concordant opposition hp items. Displacement clickies are nice for non arcane builds. I like cold resist items on casters if I plan on running ToD. But, some of the slots I used to use have been supplanted by new loot in slots that were not very useful to me before.

It really depends on your build, how you like to play, and what quests you want to run. If you post more details, I am sure you could get some suggestions.

Community Member

Well, thing is I'm not exactly sure what to aim for. I'm thinking of doing a dual wielding rouge or maybe ranger my next life... Other than that I can't really tell you much XD

The list below might give you an idea of the kinds of commonly made greensteel items:

Lit2 weapon - great for killing trash mobs
    x3 Positive maul (or other blunt) - skellie / Abbot beater
    HP item - moar HPs!
    SP item - moar SPs!
    Concordant Opposition item - procs HPs and SPs when hit (many make either a Con-Op + HP item, or a Con-Op + SP item)
    Displacement clickie - tier 2 greensteel for Displacement - 50% miss chance
    Haste clickie - for Haste junkies
    Variety of guard items

Less common, but still good:
    Min2 weapon - used to be the end all be all for breaking DR (previously best Harry beater prior to Cannith Crafting and Artificers)
    Vacuum weapon (bow) - procs Trap the Soul - great for soul gem farming

Outside of those, you'll just have to study the planners, and see what suits you. Make sure that you play with the planner some, and find a good synergy for your character. Ex. Con-Op SP goggles, with +CHA skills for your UMD needs.
    Last edited by Cauthey; 02-09-2013 at 03:08 AM.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkain View Post
    Well, thing is I'm not exactly sure what to aim for. I'm thinking of doing a dual wielding rouge or maybe ranger my next life... Other than that I can't really tell you much XD
    Hmm. Pick your weapon of choice as soon as you can. If you're not settled on a khopesh, or a longsword, or scimitars, or THF, etc... you might have a lot of heartache crafting a GS weapon now that won't fit your build later.

Community Member

Alright, cool. I'll look into my next life some more, thanks for the help. Which planner would you recommend btw? XD

Community Member

Alright, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alkain View Post
    GS weapons are nice for leveling, but most of mine are rotting in a TR cache. A lit 2 bow would be sweet for a ranger, and rad2 or lit 2 khopeshes or rapiers would be nice for a rogue for a few levels. But, the weapons will soon be surpassed by better gear, and if you plan on a totally different build for the life after that you may never use them after that. That's a fair amount of larges to use for a few levels on a future life.

A hp item would be nifty on either, and you can use it at cap. But, the slot really depends on what gear you have or plan to have and what your goals are. If you want to wear a hp item at 25 with capped out destinies then you need to think a bit about what slot is open.

One option is to get your shards this life and see what will really help you at 11 and 12 in your next life. I make most of my GS at 11 and 12 at airship altars.

BE CAREFUL on dual shard tier 3 recipes. Couldnt tell you how many times I have seen someone mess that up. ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK your recipes to make sure that is what you want.
    Portals.

Like... Adding the spellpoint benefits to goggles instead of a belt for instance(At least I think that'd be an obvious bad thing)
    There's no one right choice for this, and more importantly, the right choice at one time can easily become a wrong choice when additional content is released.

For a long time, it was a very popular option for almost all characters to put greensteel into their cloak slot. The available alternatives were super situational or extremely terrible (rare exceptions would be for things like the Stormreaver Napkin on a Wizard). But since then, Turbine has released piles of really awesome cloaks, and today I would never ever suggest that anyone at any time put GS into the cloak slot.

But conflict with other items is the main issue you run into. There is nothing inherently wrong with putting spellpoints on goggles or a belt. You get exactly the same benefit no matter which slot the item is in. Goggles remain one of the top slots for spellcasters to put their greensteel into, because there are hardly any goggles for casters that are worth a damn. Melee almost never want GS in the eye slot, because there are TONS of good melee goggles.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

Matuse makes an excellent point (as usual).

You'll be best off if you take the time to research items that have been released in recent updates and will be released in near-term future updates (Epic Gianthold) before making a decision on where to slot your GS item >IF< you plan on wearing it past level 20.

For instance, many of the chains in the Menace update have really, really good end rewards- weapons, boots, bracers, armors, necklace, orbs and several others that I'm forgetting. In addition, the Commendations you can receive for various factions can be exchanged for nice equipment- gloves, necklace, rings, armors, weapons, etc. None of those items are particularly difficult to get- they just take some time to do so. In many cases, the items are, in some ways, better than GS, and you end up having a GS item that took quite a bit of time and effort to build languishing in the bank awaiting a possible TR or (like I find myself) using my GS item while a better (in some ways) alternative is possible. My overall advice would be to envision your character equipped at endgame or near it with all of these items that you want and see what slots are left and plan for your GS item to be one of those.
    In an election, always vote for the candidate who likes big butts....because, you know, they cannot lie.

KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    I really don't like that one. For a new shroud crafter IMO the game guide is far superior.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137347

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    I like that one but I also like this one:

http://crafting.cubicleninja.com

I actually use both. It helps me to see the same item in two different formats.