Community Member

Default Trying to decide what to tr into...

I recently just purchased the half bloods because I was planning to tr my gimpy human barb to horc barb, but now I've decided I want something different, but I still want to be a horc. I'm open to ideas, if what I tr into doesn't work I can just tr again, not a big deal.

I was considering going 15pal/3monk/2fighter, used this for a life on my main, and it was a breeze. Good dps, good ac, good self healing, excellent saves, etc. Just wondering if being horc pally would hurt, or if the racial enhancements would make up for it, I do have a +4 cha tome used on the toon, so I'd need a 14 base for divine might III. Would also like to have zeal, not sure how much wis is needed for that and couldn't find it on wiki.

Another thing I was considering was the bardbarian, but I have no idea what splash to do, would like to splash 2 fighter into the build as well for feats. Ideal for this would extended haste lasting about as long as barb rage would.

Gimme ideas!

edit: using gear I'm using now when I tr, ered, fb, veriks (til I get kyosho) 3 piece (bracer, helm, cloak), egem, claw glove, ravens sight, treads of falling shadow, eaga, esos
    Last edited by fork_aka_spoon; 02-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    Orien server: Forking, Completionist, life 21 of ???

For spell casting, you only need a Wisdom score of (spell level + 10). A basic +6 Wis item will let you cast every paladin spell with a base Wisdom of 8 and no tomes.

It's a little unusual to go from human barb to horc paladin(esque), the reverse racial choice is much more synergistic. Human gives feat, healing amp, and Damage Boost, which are all very very good for paladins. Horc gives negative Charisma, some Strength and Power Attack, not so good.

Not sure if this is your intent, but if you plan on going unarmed be sure not to invest in Divine Sacrifice or Smite enhancements, because they turn off offhand chance when used with unarmed.

The tricky part about bardbarianing is that you can't cast spells while Raging, and you will have very low duration spells with just a bard splash. Generally people go the opposite way, start with bard and splash in some combination of fighter, rogue, barb. At level 7 (minimum needed for Haste) your Extended Haste will last 1m24s, might not be worth the hassle.

The paladin/fighter/monk is a good idea (or paladin 18/monk or fighter 2 too) for the reasons you mentioned, if you have the gear to cover the dps, heal amp and self heals, you can use the defender prestige (switching to others when viable) with legendary dreadnought destiny and be almost indestructible up to E-hards.

As for bard-barian I personally prefer a bard/fighter splash (something like a Fighter12/bard8 or a bard 16/fighter 2/rogue 2) because you can use your bard spells without worrying about your rage (yeah you cant cast spells or clickies while raged as far as i know)
    Last edited by boredman; 02-08-2013 at 03:18 PM.

horc sorc all the way!
    Gimpfest
    Gorlacon 6th life BF Assassin ~ Gyristroula 6th life Human Disciple of Light ~ Reepz 5th life PDK Kensei ~ Gorlaxz 5th life BF Pala
    Orien

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by boredman View Post
    The paladin/fighter/monk is a good idea (or paladin 18/monk or fighter 2 too) for the reasons you mentioned, if you have the gear to cover the dps, heal amp and self heals, you can use the defender prestige (switching to others when viable) with legendary dreadnought destiny and be almost indestructible up to E-hards.

As for bard-barian I personally prefer a bard/fighter splash (something like a Fighter12/bard8 or a bard 16/fighter 2/rogue 2) because you can use your bard spells without worrying about your rage (yeah you cant cast spells or clickies while raged as far as i know)
    Ya I have my gear completely covered (except esos, but should have shard soon as I'm next in line for my guild), and dos was what I planned to be using.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    For spell casting, you only need a Wisdom score of (spell level + 10). A basic +6 Wis item will let you cast every paladin spell with a base Wisdom of 8 and no tomes.

It's a little unusual to go from human barb to horc paladin(esque), the reverse racial choice is much more synergistic. Human gives feat, healing amp, and Damage Boost, which are all very very good for paladins. Horc gives negative Charisma, some Strength and Power Attack, not so good.

Not sure if this is your intent, but if you plan on going unarmed be sure not to invest in Divine Sacrifice or Smite enhancements, because they turn off offhand chance when used with unarmed.

The tricky part about bardbarianing is that you can't cast spells while Raging, and you will have very low duration spells with just a bard splash. Generally people go the opposite way, start with bard and splash in some combination of fighter, rogue, barb. At level 7 (minimum needed for Haste) your Extended Haste will last 1m24s, might not be worth the hassle.
    Oh, I didn't realize that with spells, thought it was the base that mattered. I was human on my tr life when I did the 15/3/2, so I could just do human again most probably. I'm not sure what splash I was going to do if bardbarian (12/6/2 maybe?), just somewhere to balance it where extended haste is about as long as barb rage. Would be bard with barb splash, not barb with bard splash :P I don't really know what enhancements are when as I don't have much experience on melee classes, I think 10/8/2 might even work, extra rage at 8, need to look into it!

I could tr to the 15/3/2 human, and if it doesn't work out, meh, it's a 5% hamp for whatever I choose next
    Last edited by fork_aka_spoon; 02-08-2013 at 04:06 PM.

Heres a thought: horc druid 13/monk6/rogue 1. Call it " The burning stick".
    Reaving roar, fire ele, shintao, trapper.

Odd, but it came to mind and could be fun.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Narfle_the_Garthok View Post
    Heres a thought: horc druid 13/monk6/rogue 1. Call it " The burning stick".
    Reaving roar, fire ele, shintao, trapper.

Odd, but it came to mind and could be fun.
    edited first post, don't wish to change my gear set :P

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fork_aka_spoon View Post
    I was considering going 15pal/3monk/2fighter, used this for a life on my main, and it was a breeze. Good dps, good ac, good self healing, excellent saves, etc. Just wondering if being horc pally would hurt, or if the racial enhancements would make up for it, I do have a +4 cha tome used on the toon, so I'd need a 14 base for divine might III. Would also like to have zeal, not sure how much wis is needed for that and couldn't find it on wiki.
    I like the 14/4 Fighter/2 Monk split - see a build I'm working on [1].

This gives: 7 base, 3 fighter, 2 monk, 2 epic = 14 feats, 15 if human.

Non-tank version of this work be:

Defensive (4): Dodge, Mobility, Toughness, Epic Toughness
    Offensive (8): PA, IC:Slash, THF, ITHF, GTHF, Cleave, Great Cleave, OC
    Other (2): Stunning Blow, Improved Sunder

Other options: Drop Mobility/Improved Sunder for Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization

Personally I'd go Dwarf for the extra +5 to saves, stunning blow boost and higher CON/eToughness. Dwarf build would work well with eAGA.

I push DEX on my build for AC and reflex, but if I move the stats around we can do:

Dwarf 36pt -

46 Str 16 +3tome +2ship +6item +1enh. +1excp +2insight +4stance +3prof +2yugo +6lvl
    26 Dex 10 +3tome +2ship +8item +1excp +2yugo
    38 Con 18 +4tome +2ship +7item +1excp +2insight +4stance
    16 Int 12 +3tome +2ship -1brawn
    20 Wis 8 +3tome +2ship +6item -1brawn
    30 Cha 14 +4tome +2ship +7item +2enh. +1excp +2yugo

HO version would be: 18/10/16/10/8/14. Drop eToughness and Improved Sunder for Weapon Focus/Weapon Specialization. Or 17/11/17/10/8/14 if you still wanted eToughness with a +4 CON tome.

Divine Might is a pain - slow cast time and 1 min re-buff. You need WIS 14 to cast Zeal.

Kotc and Hunter are meant to merge in the update, so that might work out as an interesting PrE. Fighter 1 gives "Tower Shield Proficiency" which is sufficient preq. for Defender of Siberys I, ie. no need to take CE or SM.

[1] http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=388329 - although it's on hold now until there is more detail regarding the enhancement update.

I've also got a bardbarian build - Raging Critic [2], although it's a bit out of date due to the change to WF/OC. I found lack of decent reflex a real pain when levelling this build, but its a fun utility split. Dropping Stunning Blow/WF and getting GTHF+OC would be a decent dps option. You'd lose any PrE option, but that's not so bad. Warchanter I is only really +2 to damage.

[2] http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=385880
    Varz
    Wanderlust