Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bound to character on equip low level items just doesn't make any sense .As a few people have already pointed out the utility of these items is that they are transferable between your characters.

The speed and ease of character levelling means that there really isn't any point farming for items that may only be useful for a couple of days or even hours. Then its just going to get left in the bank or destroyed .

Some time ago turbine made an announcement that crystal cove items were going to be bound to character on upgrade. As the player base rightly pointed out at the time, such a change would strip the items of their utility and make grinding/farming for them pretty pointless for most players.

When crystal cove went live after the announcement , player interest in the event dropped significantly. Not 1 single person from my guild , 18 players ,could be bothered with it. However turbine did relent and say that they had changed their minds, but by that point many people really couldn't be bothered.

i.e why bother to make level 6/12/16 versions of the items as the grind to craft vs useful time to equip was not favourable.

This is a bad decision.It isn't the traditional DDO way of managing items . Once people realise that their nice new shinies are stuck on their character they probably wont be bothered to chase it across all their other characters.

Having just announced a sea change to many low level loot items which was long over due is very good. Turbine then announce bind to characters thus making it pointless to try and get them.
    How many times will people run Greymoon/cot 6 to farm for an item that becomes bound to character and obsolete after another level or two ?

Quite frankly this is another step towards making DDO like every other a generic cookie cutter MMO.
    Last edited by Hirosue; 02-09-2013 at 03:58 AM.
    "Player testers have done an excelent job and I really do appreciate the testing done by the players that report the issues which then get ignored ......."

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    It is bad.

These old items held most of their desirability because of the unbound nature

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=376774

are all the old great transitional items being bound ?..
    Planar Gird
    Teleport Mask
    Bloodstone
    Ring of Spell Storing
    Boots of the Innocent
    Cloak of Ice
    Rez ring
    How far does this go.. all named items?
    Muckbanes
    Bloodknuckle's Loincloth Waistband
    ..I still throw away any gear I get out of 3 Barrel cove as it has such a small window of usefullness.
    If this was BTA.. I would repetatively run those quests for TR's and alts instead of just once for favor.

Changing these new drop items as BTCoE is BS.
    I would even rather see BTAoA over BTCoE.. this way you at least have to run the area with one of your account toons to have a shot at it.
    BTA would be the only acceptible version as I see it, maybe even BTC on slotting an augment(if these are coming with augments)

These are usefull transitional items, I have no interest in getting these items as BTC and loading down my inventory multiple times on multiple characters..

Unless DDO plans on having a 100% drop rate on these things so we can throw them away when they are no longer of at level usefullness.

All I see coming of this is the glorification of Farmers selling these items.. since you wont need 1 or 2 for the current levelling toons, but will end up with one on every toon BTC and collecting dust in the inventory bank.

<snip>

I would like to see better drops on lots of these items, but BTC is a terrible mechanic for non-Epic stuff.
    Any non-raid items should be unbound or BTA at the worst.
    The only thins that should BTC are Raid items and Epic upgraded items

This is pretty much how I feel.

I make a distinction between stuff I might use at end game, and stuff I will only use while levelling.

Stuff I might use at end game - bind away. I don't usually swap off my dw clickies or girds, etc once they have been put on a character so idc if it's BTCoE

Stuff I only use while levelling - why bother? I only use it for a few levels - so why bother to go and find it?, why bother to equip it? And why bother to keep it so it takes up space in storage?

Unless the drop rates of the levelling stuff has been dramatically increased I won't be seeing using it. The leveling stuff becomes pretty much on par with the BTCoE random loot gen - only worse because you can't do things like icy burst it.

I also wonder how newer players still learning the game are going to feel about this - they equip it on a character - and then they either want to reroll or start a new character since they have learnt about the game more - but they are unable to transfer this loot. Curious how this loot mechanic is in other games.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    I'd rather play the game than spend all my time transfering **** through my shared bank.
    So now rather than simply borrow the RoSS or Blood Stone from another character you'll have to farm it out for each character that needs one. This equates to far more effort than currently exists.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

There is also the problem of bank space for two-handed fighters and those who craft. I have full inventory, huge and colossal bags, and lack only one grid for bank space, and am already starting to sweat about what I'm going to keep and what I need to ditch to accomodate newer items appearing in-game.

Up to now, BtA was my solution, as I could swap the same gear between my high-level toons without worrying about what I'd have to destroy to create space. Now this new mechanic is going to "break my bank", so to speak.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Quote Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
    I like BtCoE. Allows them to increase drop rates without worrying as much about balance and the game economy.
    I disagree, this change does nothing for balance or the game economy.

Better drop rates and BTCoE means any plat farmer can farm these and sell for plat, TP, or other...

Regardless of how many toons you have you are still the same player on the accout regardless of which toon you decide to play at that particular time.

BTAoA would at least force players to have 1 of their account toons step foot in these quests instead of using whatever means to get plat or other value items to trade for these things. Would also leave flexibility to use between alts and remove farmers from the equation.

Personally I feel only Slotting, Crafting, Raid Epics and any Epic upgraded items should be cause items to be Bound, anything else should remain unbound.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 02-11-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    So now rather than simply borrow the RoSS or Blood Stone from another character you'll have to farm it out for each character that needs one. This equates to far more effort than currently exists.
    Nope, less effort. Why would you bother to farm for an item that you will only use for a very short period of time?

The fact is it will make the item something almost no one would bother with.

Was doing slayers to kill time and after 2 sessions, I pulled a Bloodstone, a Xuum, and a Zephyr.

I see no change for how it works if the drop rate does really allow for someone to get one without a very long grind.

Except, as mentioned above, where do I put all this stuff?

I struggle as it is to clear out my cache for TR.

Most of the stuff I don't really care about, but if the change applies to the most common items like Planar Girds and Flesh Render Visors than it will cause a space crunch for me and annoy me that I need to get them for each character that can't cast those spells themselves.

I guess this makes these specific items more obtainable for the new player.

But making The Bloodstone and RoSS easier to get kinda seems like giving every child in school a new Apple IIe. (great, but it's yesterdays technology)

At the risk of sounding confrontational or critical of Turbine, I just wonder how things like this get up on the big 'ol dry erase board list of things to work on.

Anyway, who cares? (as long it's not the Gird et al then 'Grrrrrr')
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Sorry for the false alarm, guys.
    The following bit from the Lamannia release notes is from an alpha version that never made it on to Lamannia.

FALSE LAMANNIA RELEASE NOTE THAT SEEKS TO DECEIVE YOU WITH SLANDEROUS LIES: "Drop rates of many old named items have been increased, including the Bloodstone, Ring of Spell Storing, and other favorites."

No changes at all were made to the Bloodstone, Ring of Spell Storing, Planar Gird, Ring of the Ancestors, and other favorites to which we felt people would have been particularly sensitive to any changes made.

For reference, here is the proper release note for these changes:

Named Item Updates:

Many older named items have been updated, redesigned, or otherwise buffed to be more useful for characters at the level of the related quests.

Items from these adventures have been updated:
    • The Waterworks
    • Irestone Inlet and some other Harbor and Marketplace Quests
    • The Catacombs
    • The Seal of Shan-to-Kor
    • Redwillow’s Ruins
    • Tear of Dhakaan
    • Caverns of Korromar
    • Gwylan’s Stand
    • Assault on Splinterskull (Tangleroot Gorge)
    • Stormcleave Outpost
    • Delera’s Tomb
    • Sorrowdusk Isle (Cult of the Six)
    • Ruins of Threnal
    • The Restless Isles
    • Sands of Menechtarun
    • Tempest’s Spine
    • The Necropolis (Parts 1-4)

From the above adventures, the following items have not been changed:
    • Ring of Feathers
    • Planar Gird
    • Royal Guard Mask
    • Ring of the Ancestors
    • Carnifex
    • Docent of Defiance
    • Ring of Spell Storing
    • Bloodstone

Please note the following with regard to these item changes:
    • Epic items have not been altered.
    • The only raid that has updated items is Tempest’s Spine. Other raid items have not been altered.
    • Tempest’s Spine’s named items are now considered Raid treasure. They are generally much more powerful, and newly dropped items are now Bind to Character on Acquire. These item’s drop rates have increased from 1% per item per player to 10% per item per player.
    • Most changes don’t affect existing items already possessed by players.
    • Some changes, such as buffs to weapon damage dice, critical profiles, or armor’s base AC do affect existing items. Updated versions of items can be acquired by running these quests.
    • The minimum levels on some items have been adjusted to be more appropriate to the level of the adventure the item is from.
    • The minimum levels of items already possessed by players do not change.
    • Bind to Account items from end reward lists remain as Bind to Account.
    • Newly found named items from chests now Bind to Character on Equip.
    • Unbound items already possessed by players remain unbound.
    • Drop rates of many of the updated named items have been increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    The following bit from the Lamannia release notes is from an alpha version that never made it on to Lamannia.

FALSE LAMANNIA RELEASE NOTE THAT SEEKS TO DECEIVE YOU WITH SLANDEROUS LIES: "Drop rates of many old named items have been increased, including the Bloodstone, Ring of Spell Storing, and other favorites."

No changes at all were made to the Bloodstone, Ring of Spell Storing, Planar Gird, Ring of the Ancestors, and other favorites to which we felt people would have been particularly sensitive to any changes made.

BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

• Newly found named items from chests now Bind to Character on Equip.

Why? *** do I put these now?

Quote Originally Posted by Luxgolg View Post
    Why? *** do I put these now?
    I suspect there's still a communication barrier of some sort.
    Items that are Bind to Account aren't changed. Some specific items (listed in my previous post) also aren't changed. Any existing items you currently have are also not changed.

The only items that have bind states changed are the ones that formerly dropped in chests completely unbound, and are not on the list of things not changed, like the named items in Gwylan's Stand, The Pit, and Redwillow's Ruins.

These specific items, which previously our data showed us were virtually unused by anyone, received large buffs. As a part of this, they are also changed to be Bind to Character on Equip.

To answer your specific question:
    Since you did not use these items before, this change won't affect you. If you do enjoy collecting these named items for the sake of collecting them, and would like to store them on item mules, you can still do so, as they don't bind unless equipped.

Should you prefer to equip them now (as they are much more powerful than their previous versions), you can send them to whichever character of yours can most benefit from them, as they do not bind unless equipped.

If you find Gwylan's Songblade (As an example), and don't want it at all, then you can still just sell it on the Auction House.

Hope those suggestions help!

Community Member

Items that are Bind to Account aren't changed. Some specific items (listed in my previous post) also aren't changed. Any existing items you currently have are also not changed.

The only items that have bind states changed are the ones that formerly dropped in chests completely unbound, and are not on the list of things not changed, like the named items in Gwylan's Stand, The Pit, and Redwillow's Ruins.

These specific items, which previously our data showed us were virtually unused by anyone, received large buffs. As a part of this, they are also changed to be Bind to Character on Equip.

Since you did not use these items before, this change won't affect you. If you do enjoy collecting these named items for the sake of collecting them, and would like to store them on item mules, you can still do so, as they don't bind unless equipped.

Should you prefer to equip them now (as they are much more powerful than their previous versions), you can send them to whichever character of yours can most benefit from them, as they do not bind unless equipped.

If you find Gwylan's Songblade (As an example), and don't want it at all, then you can still just sell it on the Auction House.

Ah. Ok. This seems to be clearing some of the murk away. I was hopelessly confused by your earlier posts. This makes a lot more sense. I am personally glad that BTA on existing items was not changed for the worse. I am glad that the unbound items in the specific list you gave are not changing. And yes -as to the items that were never used that seems like a great solution. It is true -we would link the items to guildies and laugh about how pathetic they were. So upgrading them to make them worth an inventory slot, however briefly, makes sense. They are just fun items that won't hurt so bad to toss when we need the space back.

feather always makes me laugh a bit.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with drop rates being increased. Certain items. (mysterious Bauble) are insanely low with people farming 100 runs to pull one. People don't have to run that much for raid loot (ie partial list at 20)
    Proud member of Caffeine - we aint stragicially savy, but we get &@#$% done.

Kilthar-Thar-Delkanthalus-Carissa-Mirasina-Ktara-Imara-Thistle-Klunk-Robothar-Minithar-Tharissa-Miriella

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

I take this to mean that no changes to their operation or bind status were made. Were their drop rates increased or are they unchanged as well?
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

[QUOTE=Feather_of_Sun;4886142][I]• Newly found named items from chests now Bind to Character on Equip.QUOTE]

Please don't. Anything level 1-20 is usually temp stuff. It's nice to have and use for a few levels and then bank. This BTC craze while a uniform change should belong to raid stuff and level 20+ items. By making even low level items perma bound once someone equip them just adds more junk that will have maybe a brief use but 90 percent banked.

Seriously. I'm all for high level BTCoE. It's great. But making this from BTA/unbound to BTCoE? No thank you.

My suggestions (19 and below) All Raid BTA and BTCoE. All named BTAoE. All mats unbound.
    All named items above 20 - BTCoE and raid BTC.

Please. The only thing you're going to create here is a bunch of stuff I bank in the case that I MAYBE would like to use it later but don't want to use since it'll bind. Please rethink this.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kinggartk View Post
    I wish they would add more shared spaces to the store...I'd buy them. I have 60 shared slots and I need more.
    I don't need more shared space, that's what bank toons are for. I need more character space, especially since they're turning all these items into bound-to-character.

But once Equipped to "try" it, thats it. What is the reasoning behind BtCoE on standard named items? It defeats the TR grind because I need to acquire new gear for my other TR toons instead of passing it via shared bank. It also clogs up the TR cache when trying to TR these toons. Like the Voice and Mantle being BtC being useful every life, these items are not. Nor are they exclusive, like crafted, by one character.
    EDIT:Please bind to account on equip for these. So at least I can share them to my other toons.
    Last edited by Luxgolg; 02-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast