Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neverwinter

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    -Customers pay us for a license to the initial program and game environment 'engine' we in turn licensed from someone else.
    Incorrect. CO, STO, and NWO are all running on an engine Cryptic built. They did not license their engine from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    I can't think of any reason to play a game based on 4E...
    ***** and giggles is always a reason
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Not even DDO has that?

Have you not seen this forum:
    http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
    .. 90% of the posts are people buying/selling turbine points. And with the majority of the strong loot in the game in the last few updates and in comin in U17 being unbound, you can pretty much buy you way to having a extremely well equiped char without any actaul gameplay.

While I don't support it either way, the fact cryptic is making it safe to do so without risking getting scamed is hardly a negative thing imo. With gold farmers being so rampant these day it's something thats mostly unavoidable no matter what anyways.
    They also do not directly sell ingame currency. The main currency is the same as DDO, copper, silver, etc.. You can't buy it with real money period.

Astral Diamonds can buy some ingame stuff, sure, But you also cannot buy astral diamonds with real money. And they are pretty easy to earn ingame anyways. Me and Jay just played for the day, and I earned several thousand. Pretty sure earning the full 125k the 60 dollar pack comes with wouldn't really take that long at all.

The one thing you can buy directly is zen, which you can also not use to buy ingame items.

What you can do is trade zen for astral diamonds, via an ingame auction house. Players have to actually put the diamonds or zen up for sale, theres no direct trade from cryptic, they only facilitate the players desire to pay to win.

So imo its slightly less worse then Turbine, who in addition to doing the same things via the marketplace forums (in a manner less safe to the players involved) also directly sells rare and powerful items like +4 tomes to players.

It's a slight, but imo important difference in standards.
    Turbine had all this at beta/launch? Or 6 years in? If Cryptic is starting with this much P2W, where will they be in a few years? You actually think any developer does not constantly lower the bar to create new demand as the initial hype and demand wanes ?
    Asheras - Velania - Ventarya - Renvar - Vallorynn - Officer - Loreseekers and Sentinels Guilds - Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    Turbine had all this at beta/launch? Or 6 years in? If Cryptic is starting with this much P2W, where will they be in a few years? You actually think any developer does not constantly lower the bar to create new demand as the initial hype and demand wanes ?
    Don't compare DDO from 6 years ago as it was p2p back then and not "f2p". Apples and oranges
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    Don't compare DDO from 6 years ago as it was p2p back then and not "f2p". Apples and oranges
    OK. Fine then. DDO at Mod 9/EU launch and where Cryptic is starting Neverwinter. There was no p2win at release.
    Asheras - Velania - Ventarya - Renvar - Vallorynn - Officer - Loreseekers and Sentinels Guilds - Khyber

As a sour old man I will say this;

Neverwinter looks like a pile of garbage built on a pile of garbage (4th ed D&D). It has a very console style look to it which I, being a PC gamer and console hater for almost 30 years, absolutely detest.

In addition to my very strong negative impression of the game itself, big red warning lights are flaring in my brain when I see the peddling being done on gaming sites. Marketing dollars at work bigtime. A good game can survive honest reviews. This one will not because it is not one. The launch'o'rama of Stars Wars The Old Republic was the final nail in the coffin for me in regard to the "gamer sites" and their blatant peddling of turds as gold.

Man that felt good.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

OK. Fine then. DDO at Mod 9/EU launch and where Cryptic is starting Neverwinter. There was no p2win at release.
    Don't forget Cryptic already has a microtransaction history in two other games (CO and STO) and is now wholly owned by PW which has a longer history of microtransations than Turbine does.

If SilkofDrasnia doesn't want apples to oranges, lets look at the whole barrel of apples then. I will admit, I have no clue how to compare the parent companies PW and WB because of the huge difference in their economics.

I've watched some gameplay videos and I'm not impressed at all. console-style, comic/amalur-action combat, no ty. I can't imagine this to be the next DDO.
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

I think I'm finally understanding the whole 'cash - zen - astral diamonds - in game stuff' thing. Everyone keeps comparing it to Dilithium in STO.

Is there anything in STO you can't buy with dilithium? Anyone who has played the neverwinter beta: is there anything you can't buy with ADs?

From the sound of how this all works, it really seems one step closer to a cash AH than DDO has now (if you consider converting TPs into plat by selling pets/pet tricks on the AH a viable way to acquire plat). Am I getting the wrong impression?

I don't want to debate what p2w is but you have to buy content in DDO if you are not vip and that is pretty much p2w after a fashion. DDO is f2p but has a sub model so it is hard to compare.

Add in stats tomes like the occasional +4 tome sale which eventually we all know will become a permanent addition to the store and there you have p2w. Lets be real, DDO is has added some dubious items in the store the last year.

As for the rest it is definitely not DDO and has no where near the customization of DDO. Even for 4E it feels rigid, you don't even roll stats as of now but have a choice of 2 or 3 arrays of stats.

The cash shop well I think it will be the typical PWE cash shop which is more extensive than DDO's cash shop but you can acquire astral diamonds easier than you can acquire tp here, in game I mean ofc.

It does feel very consolish and arcadey, personally I will be playing Neverwinter when I feel like some really fast mindless fun and DDO when I want a more serious DnD fix.

Game was very easy as of now 1 to 30 in 5 hrs one death due to distraction. Of course this may change seeing this was beta and it may have been easier on purpose.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 02-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilkofDrasnia View Post
    Game was very easy as of now 1 to 30 in 5 hrs one death due to distraction. Of course this may change seeing this was beta and it may have been easier on purpose.
    I think I read beta xp was 4x boosted and difficulty was lowered dramatically. This makes sense for a beta weekend.

Nevermind.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I'll check it out, but having watched a few recordings from beta play I'm not sold yet.

- No multi-classing? No customization to the extent of feats - just WoWish skill trees, though it seems like paragon trees and 'to be looked into' epic destinies maybe split things up into 3(?) different streams. Kind of weak for DnD - maybe that is faithful to 4E, I have no idea, but it doesn't appeal to me.

- 5 classes at launch doesn't bother me overly much since they're so keen on having more.

- The gameplay looks super WoWish. Charge, stun, flank, avoid flagged area AoE. If anything t seemed to lack the some of the depth of WoWs gameplay but from 2 hours of video I'm not calling that yet. It certainly has the "x mini-bosses per dungeon with unique abilities + one final boss who probably spawns lots of adds" thing going on. The dungeons look super linear (including sparkles on the ground and a map indicator showing where to go next!) .

- You're also limited to.. 6? Active skills I think. Q, E, R, Left-Click, Right-Click... maybe it's just 5 actually. That's a bit sad for almost everyone who played any sort of caster in DDO. To my mind it also screams an emphasis on arcade skills, which seems bonkers for a DnD entry, but again, I'm calling it pretty early.

- Quests also are primarily aimed at being 45 minutes longer. "Some are a little shorter, some are a little longer." That's mega-long for DDO. That's a raid! Having said that, I've posted in favour of longer dungeons before - it's just that I'll miss the short ones. I think anyway. Really hard to tell actually since I'm so used to DDO.

- It's pretty. I really like the graphics I've seen and DDO does have look dated. I know though, that I stop appreciating any and all graphics after about 5 mins of immersion, but still. Will be a cool first journey through.

- The foundry sounds phenomenal. Player made dungeons! I mean that's pretty amazing. I'm also not worried content will be weak. As anyone who played Portal 2's custom maps knows, the fan-made stuff has a higher difficulty peak than the actual game. Apparently loot is also auto-assigned based on the monster difficulty of the dungeon so you can't make e.g. "Dragon's Hoard minus Dragon" - totally just an interesting tidbit unrelated to my general thoughts.

- Like I said I'll check it out, but it's a weird situation -

DDO almost definitely is going to retain far more character customization (I appreciate that sounds like an assertion at this point, but the videos I've seen certainly back it up strongly), dungeon length variety, and depth of gameplay from having more than 6 skills at a time, which is all really appealing to me.

But, Neverwinter is going to have infinite player made content, look pretty, and as a new entry with a seemingly amiable lead designer has massive room to develop in accordance with player wishes on a range of things including classes to add and the customization I'm so concerned about.

I remain firmly skeptical, but hopeful that it will provide something enjoyable. I'm extremely doubtful I would 'move' to Neverwinter over DDO from what I've seen.

EDIT: Will do re: Mindflayer Shard server.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 02-12-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    - The gameplay looks super WoWish. Charge, stun, flank, avoid flagged area AoE. If anything t seemed to lack the some of the depth of WoWs gameplay but from 2 hours of video I'm not calling that yet. It certainly has the "x mini-bosses per dungeon with unique abilities + one final boss who probably spawns lots of adds" thing going on. The dungeons look super linear (including sparkles on the ground and a map indicator showing where to go next!) .

- You're also limited to.. 6? Active skills I think. Q, E, R, Left-Click, Right-Click... maybe it's just 5 actually. That's a bit sad for almost everyone who played any sort of caster in DDO. To my mind it also screams an emphasis on arcade skills, which seems bonkers for a DnD entry, but again, I'm calling it pretty early.
    Maybe not fair to compare as I've never played WoW. But i've played other games people have called WoW clones and they all invovled one boring gameplay mechanic this game definetely is the not anything like: Lock on and press hotkey.

This game is much more akin to TERA then wow, its a 100% mouse look, action mmo. There is no targeting, no lockon, and you have to VERY mobile. Like tera you can't move while attacking, which is imo a good move because it adds challenge to the game, and an overall better "gamefeel" to the game as it makes your attacks feel more powerful.. But you can be VERY mobile while either blocking on the guardian, or dodging around on the other classes, and its very key to the gameplay.

2nd pnt: mm lately I play my sorc more then anything else.. And you know what I realised, aside from intial buffs - which imo aren't that fun anyways, I never use more then 6 abilities in combat anyways. So it really doesn't feel as limiting as it sounds on paper.

And it's actaully a core part of the games customization. Its nothing like DDO and if you go in comparing it to this and wanting it to be like this, you will automatically shut the game down without giving it a chance. If you instead just treat it as it's own mmo and ignore the DnD part, I don't think you can really hate this game, its fairly solid.

How it works is the game gives a lot of abilities, you don't pick them as you lvl up like ddo.. Instead every level just gives you one, and levels come quite fast so you quickly amase a bunch of ability.. And the customization of the game is that you can't have all of those on your hotbar all the time like DDO.. Instead you need to think about the content your doing and decide what will be best for it.

Think of it instead like being able to respec at will every quest, kind of like playing a wizard in ddo. It doesn't feel so limiting once you get used to it, and imo 6 (actaully you get 7, plus a few slots for potions) is kind of the magic number for the amount of things I can remember to use in 1 encounter anyways.

If you just take it for what it is, an action-rpg-mmo.. It's a really solid and fun game imo.

I enjoyed the first weekend anyways, it does a ton of things right and while it is limited in scope, it has a lot less of "why is this so terrible" moments then DDO has.

Quick list of nice features included:
    - Built in voice chat (so many mmos leave this out)
    - Excellent 100% scalable UI (No tiny tiny icons at 1080p or any other res yay!)
    - Very stable for a beta
    - Less limiting instancing (main town holds up to 100 players and runs fairly smooth)
    - Awesome player created content that actually integrates into the world seemlessly (I actually did a player created mission and didnt even realise it wasnt official once)
    - Unlimited content due to the above as the Foundry tool is really quite epic and ultra powerful in what it allows you to do.
    - Vastly superior visual character customization then DDO. Sure it lacks in the gameplay customization, but you can make you char look very cool. My dwarf is giant and has an epic beard =)
    - Far better looking armor, with a solid cosmetic/dyeing system from the start.
    - Runs smooth on my now dated machine.. Actaully building a new machine next week I planned to play it on, but my current 2+ year old one runs it fine. Also ULTRA-fast loading on a ssd, can literally log in under 10 seconds and load screens dont even appear long enough to read the tips.

My only concern is it's a bit too easy. But on a video i watched with the lead designer (this one) - the dev specificly said - We will make the endgame content so hard that we (the developers) ourselves cannot beat it.. So yea heh while the early stuffs pretty weak, the endgame might have a good challenge.

So yea, check it out. If you go into in the mindset that its an action mmo and just uses the DnD setting, its quite fun.

Mindflayer Shard if you wanna get on same server as me and Jay btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    - Quests also are primarily aimed at being 45 minutes longer. "Some are a little shorter, some are a little longer." That's mega-long for DDO. That's a raid! Having said that, I've posted in favour of longer dungeons before - it's just that I'll miss the short ones. I think anyway. Really hard to tell actually since I'm so used to DDO.
    Oh yea missed this.

Official, regular story quests are actually more like 2-10mins mostly.. And theres enough of them to get 1-60 without doing much else. There your usually run of the mill kind of mmo quest,s with a small bit of DnD flavor like traps and puzzles here and there. Most are go there, collect this, kill this etc, then at the end of an arc youll generally have a story dungeon with more depth, and more dnd flavor like traps and puzzles, etc.. Not to the same degree of ddos traps/puzzles, but they are at least present.

What they aim at for a 45min duration are completely seperate - they are 5man instanced dungeons.. Which are essentially the games raids as they dont have those (they might some time later). And they are actaully 5-man required. So you can form your group like DDO via a lfm/tells/friends. Or if you want, they have a dungeon finder to auto group you (like TERA or probably WoW). But you can't solo them directly, think youd have to form a group and kick everyone out heh if you wanted too, and youd probably fail most of them - they are group content.

They all end in a big boss, which almost always drops rare loot, and you use the usual need/green on it, tho most loot is classed based anyways, so if you take 5 different classes, its more about being lucky to have your class item drop.

And theres only a few of them, maybe one every 2-4 lvls starting at lvl13.

And theres also what they call events or skirmishs maybe, not sure on the official name, but they are similar, just geneally outdoor and a bit shorter, maybe 20-30min. Also 5 man enforced.

So yea they definetely aren't the games regular content, they are essentially its raid content.

And it's not all the dungeons either. They have also have story dungeons which vary in length too, and are of equal quality, but are soloable.

Plus Foundry content can be of any length, and the system auto records all players completion times and shows you an average so you can run any lenght of content you want, and be appropriately rewarded.
    Last edited by Shade; 02-11-2013 at 09:46 PM.

This game is much more akin to TERA then wow, its a 100% mouse look, action mmo. There is no targeting, no lockon, and you have to VERY mobile. Like tera you can't move while attacking
    Not being able to move while attacking is horrible.
    Planting your feet in the groud and agitating your arms is not a good combat system.
    I played a bit a TERA in beta and that's what made me say "I don't want this game" (that and the korean graphics, naked busty curvy spell casters).

I've watched some gameplay videos and I'm not impressed at all. console-style, comic/amalur-action combat, no ty. I can't imagine this to be the next DDO.
    +1
    I'm watching gameplay videos and the lack of customization DnD style + the bad combat system is making me cry inside. After playing DDO, other combat systems seem retarded (as in from the last century).

There is still no successor to DDO.
    We have a unique combat system I've never seen anywhere else, we have multiclassing and a lot of customization options, tons of stuff to click (a little bit too much clickies yes but it's better than "skills 1-4, right click and left click"), we have the DnD setting well implemented that brings back memories.

I wish there was a new game that could compete with DDO.

Do melee types have weapon sets? Like when you get to the vampire boss and need to switch to silver weapons, or switching to blunt for skeletons, slash for zombies? I didn't see any weapon sets on the hot bars so how do they handle this?

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

I'm watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SohE0uxNweI

It looks like good graphics and nice city design but the combat is very WoW/TERA -ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post
    Do melee types have weapon sets? Like when you get to the vampire boss and need to switch to silver weapons, or switching to blunt for skeletons, slash for zombies? I didn't see any weapon sets on the hot bars so how do they handle this?
    there's no DR system
    it's the usual Power vs Defense type to determine damage

and Axe actually wasn't able to try the Guard the Temple event, it's more challenging than all the other stuff i've done with him combined

Quote Originally Posted by Bimbelbo View Post
    hey! amalur was fun!
    and i don't expect NWO to be a DDO replacer at all
    Last edited by Jay203; 02-11-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

If you instead just treat it as it's own mmo and ignore the DnD part, I don't think you can really hate this game, its fairly solid.

Why in the name of all that is holy would I want to play a DnD game where I had to 'ignore the DnD part' to keep from hating the game?

That one sentence alone makes me cringe as the only reason I'm playing DDO is because of the 'DnD part.' It also speaks volumes that a game marketing itself as a DnD game has players coming back from the beta saying 'yeah it's pretty good if you ignore the DnD part.' Bleh.

The no moving during combat also sounds horrible. I have no desire to play any video game where you can't move AND attack (or execute some action) at the same time. No skill checks. No saving throws. No multi-class. Can't move and fight at the same time. Just a HUGE step down from DDO if that is all true. Maybe someone will get Skyrim right.

Looks like I'll be sticking to Rocksmith as my alternate video game for the foreseeable future.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast