Default Caster Hirelings vs Flaming Spheres

I'm right now rerunning some low and mid level quests. I tend to take a cleric or favored soul hireling along when playing alone.

In some of those quests enemy casters summon flaming spheres. Now I noticed that the hireling starts to waste spell points on flaming spheres (on "active" and "defend" mode). Not only on healing spells to heal itself / party members, but also uses offensive spells on the spheres.

This seems like a waste. The hirelings will spend way too many spell points this way. If the hireling isn't smart enough to use a simple dispel magic then it would be best if it ignores this specific summon (or simply cast a resist energy(fire)).
    Wanderer (Lyrandar -> Keeper -> Ghallanda)

Community Member

My hirling does the same thing, i always bring a cleric and when something casta flaming sphere the hirling wants to waste sp on it..even when you tell him/her some other command they go back for more.

Obviously the answer to your statement is that you should use flaming sphere instead of hirelings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

this is annoying in Necro 1. i have to keep telling them to come to me, because they care about killing that flaming sphere more than healing and fighting other mobs. every type of hire does this.

Quote Originally Posted by Qhualor View Post
    this is annoying in Necro 1. i have to keep telling them to come to me, because they care about killing that flaming sphere more than healing and fighting other mobs. every type of hire does this.
    Mareth Lorestryn - Lvl 6 Cleric Hireling - Has Dispel Magic on his bar!

Works great in Necro 1

Also has DV!

Community Member

Strange, I rarely see any but some very specific divine hirelings (Larafey and the like) self cast any offensives spells. Most use the special hireling 0sp light ray SLA (or maybe it's an eternal wand). So, in most cases I don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Mareth Lorestryn - Lvl 6 Cleric Hireling - Has Dispel Magic on his bar!

Works great in Necro 1

Also has DV!
    It's less of an issue when the hireling has dispel magic on its action bar. In general I ignore the flaming spheres and follow my own target priority (e.g. casters first, then melees). The issue is when the hireling chooses the least ideal target (e.g. the flaming sphere) and is thus effectively taken out of the fight (since it's busy with the sphere). When the fight is over I have time to dispel the spheres by myself (e.g. with a wand). But during this time the hireling wasted resources and didn't contribute much.
    Wanderer (Lyrandar -> Keeper -> Ghallanda)