Community Member

Default Building Sorc, need Past Life advice

So as the title says I'm building for an end game sorc.

What I was wondering is whether or not it's really worth it to go through a past life or 10 before arriving at the final build. Spell Pen from FVS and Wiz seem like really good additions but are the dc's from others worth going for? Safe to say that 30 hp from Barb past lives isn't worth the time invested, but what about going 3 sorc lives for the spell points?

As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards a Shiradi build and am lvl 16 first life as a sorc atm if that helps. I know these questions are pretty noobysmal but i'm just not sure how much time I'm gonna have to go all out.

Thanks!

2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post

What I was wondering is whether or not it's really worth it to go through a past life or 10 before arriving at the final build. Spell Pen from FVS and Wiz seem like really good additions but are the dc's from others worth going for? Safe to say that 30 hp from Barb past lives isn't worth the time invested, but what about going 3 sorc lives for the spell points?

As of right now I'm leaning heavily towards a Shiradi build and am lvl 16 first life as a sorc atm if that helps. I know these questions are pretty noobysmal but i'm just not sure how much time I'm gonna have to go all out.

Thanks!
    You can't go wrong with FVS and Wiz past lives. It all depends on my much fortitude you have to slog though all that grinding. While the extra spell points are nice, imho they are really necessary. EDs give you so many other options to get spell points and pots are not hard to come by having an extra 60 (?) spell points really doesn't mean much.

One other thing you might consider or rather look at is what race you will select for the final life. I only mention this because in my particular case I had a cleric that I TR'd into a FVS and then decided to try Sorc. I went human and took advantage of the active past life of cleric for the healing word ability. Having five no fail heals is awesome. Obviously if you are ending up as a WF the past life cleric while still useful is less important or practical due to the reduce benefits and no inherent healing amp.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

For a Sorcerer end Life

Past Life Benefits:
    • Sorcerer Past Life +1 Evocation DC and 20 Spell Points (Passive) access to Active Feat which doubles as Mental Toughness and fills PrE requirements usually used for Evocation/Conjuration School
    • Cleric Past Life +1 Conjuration DC (Passive)
    • Wizard Past Life +2 Spell Penetration +2 Wand and Scroll DCs*(Passive), access to Active Feat which is basically a universal spell school +1 DC
    • Favored Soul +1 Spell Penetration and 20 Spell Points (Passive)

*+2 to Wand and Scroll DCs does not seem like a lot, but when you can take a wand with a +6 to its DC and utilize it effectively on elite it can be a great spell point saver or effective DPS addition. Also for the Epicable Eternal Wands it will greatly increase their DPS by having fewer 1/2 saves or Evades

3x Sorcerer + 3x Cleric + 3x Wizard + 3x Favord Soul Passives:

+3 Evocation
    +3 Conjuration
    +9 Spell Penetration
    +6 Wand and Scroll DCs
    +120 Spell Points

So the question is how many lives are you willing to do? This would be 13 lives with life 13 being your 4th Sorcerer Life.

if you're just planning on a shiradi champion build, past lives are in general a lot less important anyways. you don't really need spell pen for the spells you'll be focusing on, and you don't need DCs either. the spell points gained from past lives are largely irrelevant, and besides, you're going shiradi... the whole point of that build is that you have such low mana costs that you won't need more spell points anyways.

that said, if you've really got your heart set on past lives for some reason, i'd say at least one wizard life is always good (gives you the option to pick up the active wizard past life, and +2 spell pen; both nice, if you need DCs or spell pen), sorcerer past lives are generally great, as are cleric past lives (for the DC increases in evocation and conjuration, respectively. also , as has been mentioned, the cleric active past life gives you an emergency heal option if you're a fleshy sorc). favoured soul... honestly, i'd probably skip those lives, unless you're planning on an extremely heavy focus on an epic elite CC sorcerer.

Useful past lives for any caster:

Sorcerer
    +1 evocation, +20 SP
    (useful for any caster, necessary for fire/air sorcerers and evoker fvs)

Favored Soul
    +1 spell penetration, +20 SP
    (useful for any caster)

Wizard
    +2 spell penetration, +2 wand/scroll DC's
    (useful for any caster, especially wizards)

Cleric
    +1 conjuration, +1 turn undead attempts
    (useful for earth sorcerers, clerics/paladins, and classes using the web spell)

Druid
    +2 ability scores to hirelings and summons
    (not very useful, but good for artificers, druids, and magister summons)

Wizard definitely has the best active past life feat, by far, giving +1 to all spell DC's and a nifty magic missile clicky.

At the very least, I would go 3 sorcerer lives and 3 wizard lives. Depending on what savant you wish to be, 3 clerics lives wouldn't hurt. Or, you can simply go 3 wizard, 3 sorcerer, 3 fvs, and 3 cleric, and end in whatever casting class you want for a strong caster; that's what I'm aiming for, only 3 lives to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HastyPudding View Post
    Useful past lives for any caster:

Sorcerer
    +1 evocation, +20 SP
    (useful for any caster, necessary for fire/air sorcerers and evoker fvs)

Favored Soul
    +1 spell penetration, +20 SP
    (useful for any caster)

Wizard
    +2 spell penetration, +2 wand/scroll DC's
    (useful for any caster, especially wizards)

Cleric
    +1 conjuration, +1 turn undead attempts
    (useful for earth sorcerers, clerics/paladins, and classes using the web spell)

Druid
    +2 ability scores to hirelings and summons
    (not very useful, but good for artificers, druids, and magister summons)

Wizard definitely has the best active past life feat, by far, giving +1 to all spell DC's and a nifty magic missile clicky.

At the very least, I would go 3 sorcerer lives and 3 wizard lives. Depending on what savant you wish to be, 3 clerics lives wouldn't hurt. Or, you can simply go 3 wizard, 3 sorcerer, 3 fvs, and 3 cleric, and end in whatever casting class you want for a strong caster; that's what I'm aiming for, only 3 lives to go.
    he's going shiradi build, according to his OP. tons of past lives won't hurt him any, but he sure won't be getting much value for his time invested to farm 6+ past lives, since he doesn't need either spell pen or DC increases.

Here's the track I recommend for you:

1st life wizard
    2nd life sorc

The xp grind uptick from 2nd to 3rd life is much worse than the uptick from 1st to 2nd life. When you get to the end of your 2nd life, reflect on whether you really want to go through that for the various perks. If not, you're on a very strong sorc build with by far the best bang for your buck past life (wiz passive and active). If so, you'll be able to decide for yourself whether you value more Evo DC or Spell Pen.

I definitely wouldn't do any non arcane past lives. Web is great and all, but one of the things that makes Web so great is you can get away with so much less DC, so the cleric past lives are not super relevant. FvS spell pen is half the reward for a ton more work, plus you have to be a wimpy divine instead of an awesome arcane.

Even if you intend on being a Shiradi sorcerer, having a little spell pen from Wiz PLs in your back pocket is not a bad thing.

If you're intending to be Shiradi Sorc, I'd recommend 2 past lives: 1x Sorc and 1x Wizard. The reason for this is the selected past life feats - I prefer Sorc PL feat for qualifying for savant, and the wizard past life is a really nice shiradi nuke.

Other than that, Shiradi Sorcs get very minor gains from past lives, and the passives are honestly rarely worth going for unless you're a DC-caster (in which case you want spell pen past lives).
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Emerge2012 View Post

Thanks!
    If you have the stamina to survive the grind; triple in FvS, Wiz, Cleric, Sorc and possibly Arti (for UMD) and 1 in everything else (Maybe 3 Barb for hitpoints).

That will provide you with lots of spell pen, conjuration and evocation. And yes - it's always worth adding more DC breaking features. Conjuration and Evocation are the primary sources for most sorc DPS spells. and Spell Pen at least allows your webs, disco balls and insta kills to work without bouncing. You won't be doing much DPS killing with AOE type spells if the end game critters always make their reflex saves and you're going to blow through your SP by throwing high end non savant spells in order to avoid reflex saves.

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    If you have the stamina to survive the grind; triple in FvS, Wiz, Cleric, Sorc and possibly Arti (for UMD) and 1 in everything else (Maybe 3 Barb for hitpoints).

That will provide you with lots of spell pen, conjuration and evocation. And yes - it's always worth adding more DC breaking features. Conjuration and Evocation are the primary sources for most sorc DPS spells. and Spell Pen at least allows your webs, disco balls and insta kills to work without bouncing. You won't be doing much DPS killing with AOE type spells if the end game critters always make their reflex saves and you're going to blow through your SP by throwing high end non savant spells in order to avoid reflex saves.
    Bolded part patently untrue, considering the OP specifically said Shiradi Sorc. Most of the DPS there comes from no-save, low-cost, multi-proc spells (such as ice storm, magic missile, force missile, or the like).

To the OP, despite the little amount of past lives Shiradi Sorc requires (can be a first-life and be fine)...it does benefit greatly from capped EDs, sadly.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Quote Originally Posted by patang01 View Post
    Conjuration and Evocation are the primary sources for most sorc DPS spells.
    This requires some explicit clarification, which you are aware of and do intimate later but I want to make clear for those less familiar.

It's only high damage low duration AoE spells that have such saves: your Otiluke's Freezing Spheres, your Delayed Blast Fireballs, etc. High damage single target spells are almost exclusively no save: Eladar's, Niac's Biting, Polar Ray, BDB. Low damage high duration AoE spells have either no or no real saves: Ice Storm, Wall of Fire. This is not to say or imply that hdld AoE spells are not relevant, just that they are atypical.

Also, Web has no SR check. Web is good, Web is great.

Community Member

Thank you everyone. At some point I'm sure I'll want to play a different character type but was trying to avoid TR'ing if it meant another 2-3 weeks worth of leveling per life.

Believe me, I wish I had the time for Completionist, but it's just not gonna happen! Doing a fleshy first life chest blesser for gear has been more than enough.

My only complaint was not naming the toon Heidi Fleiss and claiming to have elite Stripper Magic.

Just wondering why noone mentions Bard.. +2 to enchantment....

Quote Originally Posted by Gildas View Post
    Just wondering why noone mentions Bard.. +2 to enchantment....
    +2 to SAVES AGAINST enchantment. Really doesn't do that much for a sorc.

Quote Originally Posted by WruntJunior View Post
    +2 to SAVES AGAINST enchantment. Really doesn't do that much for a sorc.
    The active is:
    You recall more about your past life as a bard. You have +1 to all Charisma based skills, +1 to the DC's of your Enchantment spells, and can Inspire Courage three times per rest. (Activate this bard ability to rally your companions, giving them a +1 morale bonus to saves against fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls before enhancements.)

That said I'm not sure where I'd fit it in on a wizard let alone a sorc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    The active is:
    You recall more about your past life as a bard. You have +1 to all Charisma based skills, +1 to the DC's of your Enchantment spells, and can Inspire Courage three times per rest. (Activate this bard ability to rally your companions, giving them a +1 morale bonus to saves against fear effects and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls before enhancements.)

That said I'm not sure where I'd fit it in on a wizard let alone a sorc.
    Yeah, I barely fit GSF:Enchantment on my wizard (effectively could've been that past-life)...I don't know how anyone would fit that on a sorc, especially not a shiradi sorc.