Default Wiz/Artificer Help Needed

I'm making a Wizard/Artificer but I'm wondering what split to use for max solo ability.Should I go 19wiz/1arti, etc. plz post which split and why plz.
    Last edited by dunmoore; 02-06-2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Auto correct made it say article not artificer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunmoore View Post
    I'm making a Wizard/Artificer but I'm wondering what split to use for max solo ability.Should I go 19wiz/1arti, etc. plz post which split and why plz.
    ...wouldn't 20arti (or 19arti/1wiz) have better solo ability? Artificers are known for their solo power, but Wizards really aren't. At all.

Nevermind the fact that I'm currently soloing with a mid-level Wizard myself..... o_o
    Last edited by Semual; 02-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Semual View Post
    ...wouldn't 20arti (or 19arti/1wiz) have better solo ability? Artificers are known for their solo power, but Wizards really aren't. At all.

Nevermind the fact that I'm currently soloing with a mid-level Wizard myself..... o_o
    I have both a Wiz (on second life) and an Arty, and the pure arty is amazing at solo play. I rarely need a hireling, though for elite quests i use a healer sometimes. The wizard i tend to need a rogue since i went pure wiz on it. So many times i will forget a trap and just walk right into it. I'm thinking about making her a pale trapper or a splash a level of arty to get the trapping, as that gives you some benefits that a rogue splash doesn't give but you lose evasion.

I guess it depends on your play style and if you plan to keep it on endgame. From what i've seen elsewhere though, more than one level of arty on wiz/arty isn't worth it.

I plan to keep wizard my main, because if this build works im going to use it on a TR to get a past life of wizard.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dunmoore View Post
    I plan to keep wizard my main, because if this build works im going to use it on a TR to get a past life of wizard.
    Ah! In which case, yeah, Wiz19/Arty1, or even just straight Wiz, is probably best. Wizard levels always synergize well with more Wiz levels, to the point where more than a level out will hurt. Maaaybe two, but only if there's particularly good returns.

If you are playing primarily as a wizard, you really have 4 options:

20 Wiz:
    This gets you the wizard capstone, which is +2 int. You should be sure that you want to lose this by multiclassing. Also, it provides a bonus feat. Lastly, you lose 1 spell pen for every level of wizard you don't take.

19 Wiz / 1 arty:
    This gets you trap abilities.
    You probably won't be using a crossbow much of the time if you're a wizard, although you could make a portal beater out of a repeater, and you could have something decent if you ran out of sp.
    A low level iron defender is not going to do anything for you at high level.

18 Wiz / 2 arty:
    This gets you rune arm use. The damage from your rune arm is dependant on your artificer level. This means that you won't have very much damage. You also get +1 craft boost, in case you care.

17 Wiz / 3 arty:
    This basically gets you nothing

Other splits:
    You wouldn't have 9th level spells. Don't do it.

In Summary:
    19 / 1 for trapping + some extra

If you want to splash two levels, a rogue is probably a better option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

TY for the help, I'm probably going to run a 19/1 for the trapping,and repeater for when I have no sp. ty

The only multiclass I'd do on a wizard is with 2 rogue. Even there, that's a big trade-off.