Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default kicking afk players

Kicking afk players don't need voting (i wonder how to vote, whether there are more players afk). After several minutes of inactivity, the game automatically flags you as AFK.

My suggestion:

Leader should have button to initiate kicking procedure. All flagged players will receive warning a message box with information about kicking. Player will have 2 minutes to respond by pressing button in this window. Showing the message box can be also followed by appropriate sound notification.

Responding to the message removes AFK flag, so leader cannot repeat this until player becomes AFK again.

Not responding after 2 minutes will cause automatic recall from the quest, but not kick from the party. Others can use party chat for later communication with the kicked player.

Using this feature should have a cost. I suggest to pay by removing the group bonus XP for "reenter" (and rename this bonus to "re-enter and no kicking"). Kicked player may want to reenter to the quest later and it will also pay -20% XP for this (but this will not affect group "reenter" bonus, because it has been already paid).

(I hope, that this is understandable - sorry for my bad english)

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

One key purpose of having a way of voting a teammate off the team is to send the message that it's not OK to use strangers who haven't consented to carrying your character through a mission for that purpose. That signal, in and of itself, will help to reduce the frequency of players joining missions with the intention of sponging off of strangers.

On that note, I'd be OK with a chance for an AFK player to come back to the keyboard and veto a "kick" vote, plus a cooldown timer that would need to expire before other team members would able to try again. Limiting the use of kick votes as a griefing tool is ultimately a good idea, just as it's a good thing to limit piking when there's no consent from teammates to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheezburgerz View Post
    MMM, no. DDO never had this. Thanks.
    Actually, to be honest, it was removed before I got here. I don't know the details, but it was in the game and was removed before F2P came out. Yes, DDO has had this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Hi Welcome to the game!

Please don't state facts from 2006 if you didn't play then.

2 years and 20 posts and he's the expert.

Yeah it actually did... try again!

I know this because the first PUG I ever ran with that wasn't started by myself or friends had me kicked out right @ the end. It was The Tear of Dhakaan if I recall and basically we beat the chief got some XP, start running to the chest and BOOT I am out as well as one other player. Found out that the "leader" then invited in a couple of friends for free loot.

Worst part is that myself (Cleric) and the other guy (Barb??) more or less carried the fight in the quest so it was extra bitter.

So for sure it could happen. It was removed along with things like XP penalties for dying that only recovered if you stood around in a bar and curses & diseases that persisted when you left the quest.

All good changes really.
    Last edited by SiliconScout; 02-10-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    Actually, to be honest, it was removed before I got here. I don't know the details, but it was in the game and was removed before F2P came out. Yes, DDO has had this.
    No. They've never had a vote and kick.

I was here in 2006. No.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    Hi Welcome to the game!

Please don't state facts from 2006 if you didn't play then.
    Wrong. I was here in 2006. Were you? If so, you must have forgot.

Community Member

There was never a vote and kick. So sorry. Thanks for playing.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconScout View Post
    2 years and 20 posts and he's the expert.

Yeah it actually did... try again!

I know this because the first PUG I ever ran with that wasn't started by myself or friends had me kicked out right @ the end. It was The Tear of Dhakaan if I recall and basically we beat the chief got some XP, start running to the chest and BOOT I am out as well as one other player. Found out that the "leader" then invited in a couple of friends for free loot.

Worst part is that myself (Cleric) and the other guy (Barb??) more or less carried the fight in the quest so it was extra bitter.

So for sure it could happen. It was removed along with things like XP penalties for dying that only recovered if you stood around in a bar and curses & diseases that persisted when you left the quest.

All good changes really.
    There was never a vote and kick. So much wrong. So. Much. Wrong.

There was never a vote and kick. So sorry. Thanks for playing.
    He's absolutely correct.... there was no vote needed for the kick back in the day.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    No.
    I think that the OP's thoughtful post deserves a longer response than just a simple, "No."

Hell no.

Seems that free kicking won't work. Just don't go for the easy way of letting ppl getting away with it. I mean, most of the time now I'm playing solo to avoid the frustration of having someone piking.
    And I don't mean "hey, had a trouble here. brb". If I get ANY excuse, anyone can pike for two hours for all I care. I just can't stand ppl that join your group WITH the intention of leaving the pc as soon as you log.

People was kicking ppl before the end chest? Great.. Now ppl are getting free xp.. I just want the devs attention to see if the can find a way to at least discourage those behaviors.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasphi View Post
    Seems that free kicking won't work. Just don't go for the easy way of letting ppl getting away with it. I mean, most of the time now I'm playing solo to avoid the frustration of having someone piking.
    And I don't mean "hey, had a trouble here. brb". If I get ANY excuse, anyone can pike for two hours for all I care. I just can't stand ppl that join your group WITH the intention of leaving the pc as soon as you log.

People was kicking ppl before the end chest? Great.. Now ppl are getting free xp.. I just want the devs attention to see if the can find a way to at least discourage those behaviors.
    Anyone piking from the very beginning is very obvious and very easy to deal with. Just recall and reform the party around them. It takes less than a minute to do after you explain the process to the rest of the party who might not have done that before.

Recall from the quest, drop from the party and then /invite each of the non-piking characters back into your party to start the quest over again. Since the piker that you're describing is sitting in the beginning of the quest without any movement, it's obvious from the start.

Worst case scenario: you finish that quest and the piker gets some free XP for one quest and you drop them from the party (reform around them if they are still in the quest) and run your next dozen quests together with the 4 other people who aren't piking.

If you want to deal with a more significant problem, come up with a suggestion of how to get players to GET IN THE DAMNED QUEST. You don't need to spend 10 minutes picking your nose, waiting for a "healer", selling an repairing and getting ship buffs. Just get in the quest and get moving. Quests in DDO ain't that hard. I have no need to zerg, but I can't stand when players sit around for a couple of minutes after each fight, trying to figure out what to do next (HINT: walk forward. There's another fight waiting for you just down the hallway...) and I can't stand when players sit around outside the quest.

You think piking is bad? Piking is when just ONE person sits around and does nothing. Most of the time, more than half of the party won't step into the quest until "everyone is ready" as if they were a 4 year old who needs someone to hold his hand on the way to the potty because he's not big enough to go on his own.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Anyone piking from the very beginning is very obvious and very easy to deal with. Just recall and reform the party around them. It takes less than a minute to do after you explain the process to the rest of the party who might not have done that before.

Recall from the quest, drop from the party and then /invite each of the non-piking characters back into your party to start the quest over again. Since the piker that you're describing is sitting in the beginning of the quest without any movement, it's obvious from the start.

Worst case scenario: you finish that quest and the piker gets some free XP for one quest and you drop them from the party (reform around them if they are still in the quest) and run your next dozen quests together with the 4 other people who aren't piking.

If you want to deal with a more significant problem, come up with a suggestion of how to get players to GET IN THE DAMNED QUEST. You don't need to spend 10 minutes picking your nose, waiting for a "healer", selling an repairing and getting ship buffs. Just get in the quest and get moving. Quests in DDO ain't that hard. I have no need to zerg, but I can't stand when players sit around for a couple of minutes after each fight, trying to figure out what to do next (HINT: walk forward. There's another fight waiting for you just down the hallway...) and I can't stand when players sit around outside the quest.

You think piking is bad? Piking is when just ONE person sits around and does nothing. Most of the time, more than half of the party won't step into the quest until "everyone is ready" as if they were a 4 year old who needs someone to hold his hand on the way to the potty because he's not big enough to go on his own.
    It would be better for the majority of the party if they could vote to kick the piker/zerger/rude person and not have to redo the quest. The vote to kick could actually produce a more polite social environment.

It would be better for the majority of the party if they could vote to kick the piker/zerger/rude person and not have to redo the quest. The vote to kick could actually produce a more polite social environment.
    You can already get the person out of the party if you want to. Real pikers are obvious enough to spot before the party gets any significant progress into the quest. And most quests in DDO don't take very long, so you're not going to lose much real time even if you decide to recall and reform immediately before quest completion.

There are a lot of things that could actually produce a more polite social environment. The misguided belief that those things can come without cost is not going to produce that more polite social environment, however.

After playing some FPS games with a vote-kick... I'm not convinced of this.

Granted, I'd be more at ease with a vote-kick in DDO then just giving the party leader the carte blanche ability to boot party members at a whim again. However, this would be like being able to select the sort of turd in the turd sandwich. I still don't want a turd sandwich... but if I have to have one...

Community Member

You can already get the person out of the party if you want to. Real pikers are obvious enough to spot before the party gets any significant progress into the quest. And most quests in DDO don't take very long, so you're not going to lose much real time even if you decide to recall and reform immediately before quest completion.

There are a lot of things that could actually produce a more polite social environment. The misguided belief that those things can come without cost is not going to produce that more polite social environment, however.
    We can call each other misguided, but I don't think that will produce a fruitful discussion or a more polite social environment. There is no way of knowing what is about to join your party. If they turn out to be a nightmare there should be a way to get rid of them. There are plenty of ways to grief a party, but the leader of a group should have the option to vote a person out of their group if they are being a nuisance. If the entire party wanted 1 person out, then, by your own admission, it's possible to get rid of that person at the inconvenience of your entire group. This would make the game better for people who pug, in my humble opinion.

If they turn out to be a nightmare there should be a way to get rid of them.
    Fun fact: there already is.

Recall and reform.

Community Member

Fun fact: there already is.

Recall and reform.
    More Fun Fact: It could be easier.

Vote to kick.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast