So, yesterday I replaced a few parts in my computer, including the HDD. So, naturally, I needed to reinstall a whole bunch of things. Fun times ensued, finally got steam installed, and then installed DDO through steam. Once installation finished, I tried to log in and update the game, but whenever I open the launcher, it just hangs on the connecting portion. It will sit there with a waiting status for about 5 minutes or so, then gives me a failed to connect error with a 1 minute countdown to retry. It repeated this process for about 7 hours last night while I slept. This morning, I tried some various fixes and none of them have worked so far. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling .net framework and the SP1 for it, directX, microsoft visual c++ redist, I have added the four .exe files to my firewall exception list, I have tried turning off my firewall, I tried turning off the proxy settings for my browser (firefox) and for the launcher itself, (note here: the launcher proxy setting is reset to use windows internet options proxy settings), I tried flushing my DNS, I turned off the UAC settings, tried running as admin before and after turning off UAC. I think that is just about everything that I have tried so far. I am fairly confident that it is not an internet issue, as I can post here and play random internet games, and I don't think it is my computer as I have since installed and successfully played Torchlight 2 via steam as well. About the only thing I haven't tried yet is a complete uninstall and reinstall of DDO, because that will take me about 8 hours, and I did do a file verification on steam which reported that all files had downloaded successfully.
UPDATE 2/10: So, still no idea what the problem actually is, but I am now sure that the problem lies with the steam version of the client. I have now successfully downloaded, installed, updated, and logged into DDO using the client download from ddo.com. So, in short, the steam version of the DDO client is currently borked in some form or another, at least with a fresh install. The ddo.com version of the client, downloaded with pando media booster, is working correctly.