Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Alumistad View Post
    Could not get HttpWebResponse for "http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientsts/ddo/en/ddo_generic_teleport_screen_2.jpg":
    System.Threading.ThreadAbortException: Thread was being aborted.
    at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOneNative(IntPtr waitHandle, UInt32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
    at System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitOne(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
    at com.turbine.launcher.UserControls.PrereqInstallCon trol.GetLastModified(String url) 2/10/2013 1:20:37 PM
    Well, there's the problem. The call to HttpWebRequest.GetResponse for "http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientsts/ddo/en/ddo_generic_teleport_screen_2.jpg" is either timing out or throwing some other exception that's not displayed. As the http response status code is not displayed, it's impossible to determine which is may be.

What usually causes this problem is the ServicePointManager throttling concurrent requests to the same URI which leads to response time-out issues. I find it hard to fathom how such would be possible in this instance. So without more information, like the http response code, I've reached to end of my expertise.

One thing you might try is opening "http://content.turbine.com/sites/clientsts/ddo/en/ddo_generic_teleport_screen_2.jpg" in your browser repeatedly. Using IE (best way I'm afraid), navigate to the URL and then hit Ctrl-F5 to refresh it as quickly as possible. If at any time you get an http exception, make note of it and let us know what it is.

Best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Alumistad, may I suggest a possible workaround? I notice those files are used as "advertisements" while the Launcher takes you through the loading/login procedure.

I wonder if you run the launcher in "compact" mode if it will bypass loading those files? Are you able to click the double downarrow during launch (despite the error) to switch the launcher to compact mode? (Otherwise I'd guess there's an entry in one of the .ini files that governs this, I didn't notice one offhand in the userpreferences.ini file.)

Alternatively, I see such files in my C:\Program Files\DDO Unlimited\raw\fr\logo, \raw\en\logo, and \raw\de\logo directories. If you took the one you successfully downloaded and simply copied and renamed 10 copies ending in _1.jpg through _10.jpg would that fool the launcher into thinking it didn't need to get new copies of those? (I have no clue that that would stop any further errors, its a shot in the dark.)

Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    UPDATE 2/10: So, still no idea what the problem actually is, but I am now sure that the problem lies with the steam version of the client. I have now successfully downloaded, installed, updated, and logged into DDO using the client download from ddo.com. So, in short, the steam version of the DDO client is currently borked in some form or another, at least with a fresh install. The ddo.com version of the client, downloaded with pando media booster, is working correctly.
    I just saw this thread by Agarwaen who was having the same problem and fixed it the same way. He did a little digging and found that the installer for game versions made before U16 (1.17 and prior anyway) can cause the error. Downloading and installing 1.21 directly from DDO clears it up. Apparently Steam is providing an older build.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShotByBothSides View Post
    DDO used to run fine on my sons Win7 PC and yesterday when we started it up (after many months of not playing) the launcher stuck at connecting. We have reinstalled both DDO and .Net and the issue persists.
    Excellent. Grab a copy of BeyondCompare and do a directory comparison of yours and his. That may help start to figure things out. I don't know how technical minded you are so you may not have a clue of what to look for. (honestly I don't either, I just take a logical approach to the differences and work backwards then.)

You could also copy your working directory over to his region. Blast his and install yours on top. A direct copy. This would mean your working copy on his machine. If this fails, it means it is his machine somehow.
    It could be registry, but it is probably another program blocking it. And by changing the exe files, I'd remove all turbine stuff from your firewalls and let it be re added when the program tries to launch again.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    I just saw this thread by Agarwaen who was having the same problem and fixed it the same way. He did a little digging and found that the installer for game versions made before U16 (1.17 and prior anyway) can cause the error. Downloading and installing 1.21 directly from DDO clears it up. Apparently Steam is providing an older build.
    This isn't really a fix for the issue though, My BB is limited and having already downloaded the client on Steam I don't have the bandwidth to download again using the Pando DL. Why hasn't Turbine worked on this with Steam to make sure that they are using the correct Installer... I have reported this as a bug but no response as yet 5 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by JusJ4ck View Post
    This isn't really a fix for the issue though, My BB is limited and having already downloaded the client on Steam I don't have the bandwidth to download again using the Pando DL. Why hasn't Turbine worked on this with Steam to make sure that they are using the correct Installer... I have reported this as a bug but no response as yet 5 days later.
    Go directly to where steam installed ddo. I'm just going to use LOTRO for this example as I've not installed DDO via steam yet.

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\lord of the rings online

Then in that directory, double click on the "TurbineLauncher.exe" program. It will launch the game without use of Steam. See if you can get it to update in this manner. Of cousre it may mean you have to launch the game in this manner until steam and turbine play nicely again.

Im having the same issue, but my install is from the original DDO box I got when thwe game originally launched. I am at a loss. Just resubbed, too. Disappointed.

I unistalled Windows update kb2658846 and it solved my issues.

Community Member

download the full .net 3.5 installer also - along with 1.1 directx 9.0c and the visual c++

Quote Originally Posted by Thralgaf View Post
    Im having the same issue, but my install is from the original DDO box I got when thwe game originally launched. I am at a loss. Just resubbed, too. Disappointed.
    You... really just need to download a new install, honestly.

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: stream
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(Stream stream, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
    at System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(Stream stream, Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.RequestResponseUtils .ReadResponse(WebResponse response, Stream stream)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.RequestResponseUtils .CreateResponseExceptionString(WebResponse response, Stream stream)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.EndInvoke(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at com.turbine.launcher.gls.GlobalLoginSystemAuthenti cationService.EndLoginAccount(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at com.turbine.launcher.Services.SOAPAuthenticator.En dAuthenticate(IAsyncResult ar)

Bogus
    Tinted Faces/AFK Inside Quest - Zindar, Ballerd, Mazrim

Who would sup with the mighty must climb the path of daggers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12