Community Member

Default TWF Fighter Build (New Player)

I still don't know a lot about this game (which makes it impossible to make a decent character the first time...), but I've attempted to make a character that I think should work. I wanted to play a TWF Fighter that uses Khopesh's and is able to whip out a shield to off tank a bit. So here's what I got.

I'm pretty sure I don't have near enough survivability, but I have no idea how to remedy that.

Edit: Just realized I forgot to fill in like 3 feats ._. .... ignoring that, what can I do to make this work.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.16.01
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Level 20 Neutral Good Human Male
    (20 Fighter) 
    Hit Points: 260
    Spell Points: 0 
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 14
    Reflex: 11
    Will: 6

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             16                    16
    Dexterity            16                    21
    Constitution         14                    14
    Intelligence         10                    10
    Wisdom                8                     8
    Charisma              8                     8

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               5                    16.5
    Bluff                -1                    -1
    Concentration         2                     2
    Diplomacy            -1                    -1
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -1                    -1
    Heal                 -1                    -1
    Hide                  3                     5
    Intimidate            3                    24
    Jump                  3                     3
    Listen               -1                    -1
    Move Silently         3                     5
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                0                     0
    Search                0                     0
    Spot                 -1                    -1
    Swim                  3                     3
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      1                    10.5

Level 1 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 2 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Finesse

Level 3 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 4 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 5 (Fighter)

Level 6 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Dodge
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 7 (Fighter)

Level 8 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 9 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 10 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Spring Attack

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Shield Mastery

Level 15 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Bullheaded

Level 16 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Superior Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 17 (Fighter)

Level 18 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Shield Mastery

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow
    Last edited by ImpishX; 02-05-2013 at 11:30 PM.

I'll save the whole tanking and off tanking for someone else to have with you.

For your build, drop finesse. Put your level up points in to strength. Except the one you need to qualify to max the twf line.
    -----

Personally I'd say go ranger max str 13 dex (for dodge , mobility &spring attack for tempest) rest in to con.

No matter what twf build you go for, till you get gtwf , swing a big two handed weapon. Trust me on that, even if you ignore everything else I say.
    Move along , Nothing to see here

i'd probably ditch weapon finesse. Ditch oversized, bull headed.

Basically your feats are really already preset. You either can go stelwart (which ud probably want to the 2 handed line) or you go the dps path and go kensei. Both require any number of feats as a prerequisite.

THEN you need to look toward epic feats. Prerequ for those. The most notable being Overwhelming crit. Which requires improved critical and Great cleave. And to get great cleave you need to take cleave. And to get cleave you need to get Power attack. Oh and you need a BASE of 23 str. (Base is your starting stats as well as any points taken while leveling up, as well as any tomes you eat) I say a +3 tome is easily obtainable now so with a start of 16 str and the +3 tome you would then need to take 4 level ups of str to meet the requirement. (This is why I say str as it really is just a fit. Being used for dc's, dmg, and base requirements.)

Actually they're all pretty much good feats to have on a melee weapon user. However as you might have guessed, the epic destinys kind of really favor the 2 hander more.

Then comes survivability. Stunning blow is correct you'll be wanting to max that dc with every way possible between gear and enhancements. (Also it goes off of str, which is why I say finesse really isn't getting you a great deal in comparison.) Next you'll want to be able to heal yourself. Because theirs a very great change of gameplay of needing the healer or that retarded hire. Or just having em as backup.

UMD is your answer. (Or a half elf with cleric dili but doubt you have bought helf.) So you do it the old fasioned way. Splash 2 rog. It nets you max umd points, and gives you evasion (very important with easily gotten good saves at end game) and also allows you the use of various scrolls that benefit you greatly. Like GH, firesheild, heal (the real reason your going for umd.) Once you have those heal scrolls in hand your just golden.

So anyway that's it. You need all the feats for whatever prestige your aiming for as well as the feats for an epic feat.

And then that's just the build. Then you can get into various gear settups. And weapon switch outs for situations, and then what clickies you should have. (Shroud comes in heavily to that later at around lv 18.)

AH, almost forgot. It's also good to know that until you get greater two weapon fighting, your really better off just using a 2 hander. You'll do more dmg and definitely swing at alot less air while leveling up from the starter isle.

Also another thing, eventually your not going to want to be good. It's slight but monsters tend to do extra dmg against good alignment and it's not netting you really anything worth while. Especially once you have UMD to just bypass anything weapon wise.

And looking a bit further into the future, peshes aren't really the bee's knees anymore. Turb kinda wrote em off. Unless theirs some sick pesh coming in epic GH. As well as if you go Legendary dread, axes receive more dmg. So you could go say dwarf axe. Just a thought.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    i'd probably ditch weapon finesse. Ditch oversized, bull headed.

Basically your feats are really already preset. You either can go stelwart (which ud probably want to the 2 handed line) or you go the dps path and go kensei. Both require any number of feats as a prerequisite.

THEN you need to look toward epic feats. Prerequ for those. The most notable being Overwhelming crit. Which requires improved critical and Great cleave. And to get great cleave you need to take cleave. And to get cleave you need to get Power attack. Oh and you need a BASE of 23 str. (Base is your starting stats as well as any points taken while leveling up, as well as any tomes you eat) I say a +3 tome is easily obtainable now so with a start of 16 str and the +3 tome you would then need to take 4 level ups of str to meet the requirement. (This is why I say str as it really is just a fit. Being used for dc's, dmg, and base requirements.)

Actually they're all pretty much good feats to have on a melee weapon user. However as you might have guessed, the epic destinys kind of really favor the 2 hander more.

Then comes survivability. Stunning blow is correct you'll be wanting to max that dc with every way possible between gear and enhancements. (Also it goes off of str, which is why I say finesse really isn't getting you a great deal in comparison.) Next you'll want to be able to heal yourself. Because theirs a very great change of gameplay of needing the healer or that retarded hire. Or just having em as backup.

UMD is your answer. (Or a half elf with cleric dili but doubt you have bought helf.) So you do it the old fasioned way. Splash 2 rog. It nets you max umd points, and gives you evasion (very important with easily gotten good saves at end game) and also allows you the use of various scrolls that benefit you greatly. Like GH, firesheild, heal (the real reason your going for umd.) Once you have those heal scrolls in hand your just golden.

So anyway that's it. You need all the feats for whatever prestige your aiming for as well as the feats for an epic feat.

And then that's just the build. Then you can get into various gear settups. And weapon switch outs for situations, and then what clickies you should have. (Shroud comes in heavily to that later at around lv 18.)

AH, almost forgot. It's also good to know that until you get greater two weapon fighting, your really better off just using a 2 hander. You'll do more dmg and definitely swing at alot less air while leveling up from the starter isle.

Also another thing, eventually your not going to want to be good. It's slight but monsters tend to do extra dmg against good alignment and it's not netting you really anything worth while. Especially once you have UMD to just bypass anything weapon wise.

And looking a bit further into the future, peshes aren't really the bee's knees anymore. Turb kinda wrote em off. Unless theirs some sick pesh coming in epic GH. As well as if you go Legendary dread, axes receive more dmg. So you could go say dwarf axe. Just a thought.
    As far as I know, nothing beats khopesh still for TWF. They have by far the best base damage output due to the high crit mulitplier + high crit range. The only weapons that over shadow khopeshes are good named items, almost all of which are 2-handers (SoS, EAGA, etc). To my knowledge there aren't any D-axes worth farming and D-axe itself is inferior if used TWF since you don't get splash damage from TWF.

UMD is tough on a fighter with CHA dumped. You probably won't be able to use it at all until very late levels, and even then won't be able to UMD much without gear investment (+6cha skills GS, +6 or better cha item, +3 umd or persuasion item). Splashing rogue helps this a lot (as stated). Unfortunately splashing rogue loses the capstone for you (10% doublestrike), but likely worth it for the value of trapping, evasion, and UMD.

Overall though I wouldn't TWF with a straight fighter build, much better off going THF. If set on TWF I would do a ranger/fighter build (and in fact I have one that is ranger 12/ftr 8, and may dump 2 fighter levels to get 4th level spells). This gets you self healing, really nice archery with many shot and imp precise shot, the whole TWF line for free, evasion, self buffs, etc.
    Last edited by Inouk; 02-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.

As a twf new player with no so many resources, i think you will be better taking the fighter 18/ 2 rogue splash that gives you a little sneak damage, skill points and EVASION, that with a decent reflex save will be a life saver on many quests. (also give you the chance to invest in umd for wands and heal scrolls, but requires some exceptional cha skill items and features to achieve enough umd for heal scrolls, but with only Evasion and cure serious wands will be very helpful for you while leveling). (if you are taking 2 rogue lvls i suggest you taking the first rogue lvl at level 1 and the second rogue lvl at level 8 or 14 if want to have prestige II earlier)

Quote Originally Posted by Inouk View Post
    UMD is tough on a fighter with CHA dumped. You probably won't be able to use it at all until very late levels, and even then won't be able to UMD much without gear investment (+6cha skills GS, +6 or better cha item, +3 umd or persuasion item). Splashing rogue helps this a lot (as stated). Unfortunately splashing rogue loses the capstone for you (10% doublestrike), but likely worth it for the value of trapping, evasion, and UMD.
    For a pure first-life, 28-point fighter, UMD even at upper levels is worthless. You're split between STR, DEX, and CON that everything else has to be dumped.

Even if you go 32-point, I really don't see how you can get even a remotely decent UMD to help with healing in any fashion whatsoever.
    Antipan, Pandargon, Pandolin, Panifin, Panmorgan, Pangrael, and all other things "pan-ed"...

TWF Stalwart Defender is a strong build. You have slightly less DPS than a Kensei, but you have much better HP, PRR, and AC. Your feat list as is works fine, except...
    -Never take Finesse.
    -As a non-Kensei, don't take Superior Weapon Focus.
    -Take Toughness instead of OTWF. The to-hit formula boils down to to-hit / AC, so flat to-hit bonuses are poor. HP is good.
    And there you go, TWF to your heart's content. The #1 thing you're behind on as a new player is gear, which is most noticeable when it comes to HP. It is also important for DPS, but no one can tell how much DPS you're doing, so who cares.