Thread: Horoth

Default Horoth

So I tanked Horoth for the first time last night on my barb. It went well for the most part but there was a snag in the start of the fight, I stood where Horoth drops down and I hit intim, he shot off and attacked the main party. I glanced at the dice roll and it still had my intim roll there and said success, I had the intim success buff as well for extra threat. No one had attacked him yet to my knowledge. Is there a trick to getting his initial aggro that I missed?

Was there a Favored Soul or someone with the Exalted Angel Destiny in the party?

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 19 36 Point Warforged Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    Was there a Favored Soul or someone with the Exalted Angel Destiny in the party?
    This, though usually I only see that happen if said Favored Soul or Exalted Angel crosses the line. Usually if you just swing at him when he drops and get a few hits in when he goes active, it's usually not an issue, in my experience anyways.

hmm we were shortman I think our cleric was in ea though, the rest I know weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by NytCrawlr View Post
    This, though usually I only see that happen if said Favored Soul or Exalted Angel crosses the line. Usually if you just swing at him when he drops and get a few hits in when he goes active, it's usually not an issue, in my experience anyways.
    Sounds like I should just swing then instead of trying to get an initial intim then.

I always wallop him 3-4 times first and intimidate only after he stops the initial roar.
    It's a precaution I'm taking, since I've seen him escape once or twice before u14, when tank intimidated immediately after Horoth spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Sounds like I should just swing then instead of trying to get an initial intim then.
    It's always better to intimidate after a few swings, unless you need to grab the aggro of something running away/past you, since Intimidate is going to build off of established threat levels.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

if you intim right from the drop, it wont take affect. you have to give it a few seconds before using it. its like loading into an instance and waiting a few seconds before you can take off because of the load in. i always swing a few times first, than intim. its not like the party is going to start attacking anyways until the tank has the aggro and is up against the wall. or at least they shouldnt be, anyways