Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Neverwinter Recon

I was checking out the Neverwinter site to see if I might like the new game. I figured since I really liked the Neverwinter Nights series quite a bit, maybe this game would take it to the next level. After reading the website for a while, I figured I’d share my findings with the DDO community. For the purpose of this post I’m going to focus on characters. I believe the character one plays is important to the enjoyment of the game. A lot of the abilities players get helps determine how the game actually plays, mechanics-wise. The videos I saw posted on their website seem to tell a lot about how this game will be played. Videos can be found here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/media/videos.

Here’s what I’ve gathered concerning the characters in Neverwinter and how they play. Each character, whether it’s a “Control Wizard”, Fighter (“Guradian” or “Great Weapon”), or “Trickster Rogue” is basically the same with some slight alterations. These four are the only ones I watched videos for but I don’t see how other classes will differ significantly.

Each character gets:
    -A basic attack
    -An alternate attack
    -An encounter ability
    -An area effect attack
    -A defensive ability

To compare two classes I’ll use the “Control Wizard” and “Trickster Rogue”:

-Basic attack: Wizard gets Magic Missle while Rogue gets Sly Fourish – the difference is that the wizard attack has a bit of range.

-Alternate attack: Wizard gets Ray of Frost while Rogue gets Deft Strike – again, range is the biggest difference – the ray of frost may slow down/freeze enemies if used long enough (not sure about that).

-Encounter Ability: Wizard gets Chill Strike which is an icicle that stuns an enemy while Rogue gets Dazing Strike which stuns an enemy.

-Area Effect: Wizard gets Ice Storm while the Rogue gets Blood Bath – the graphics look different.

-Defensive Play: Wizard gets a short teleport while Rogue gets a tumble – no noticeable difference in how this actually works (graphics again).

The two fighters I watched (Guardian and Great Weapon) both looked to have about the same type of stuff with the Great Weapon fighter having no defensive maneuver that I saw in the video. The Guardian’s defensive play was “Guarding”, which is blocking with the shield. The funny thing is, it looked like the thing was on a timer. I suppose holding a shield up in Neverwinter counts as magic or something. I could be wrong about this but it struck me as odd that blocking with a shield would have a timer.

I then took a look at a developer’s blog concerning character customization. It can be found here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=806891.

The developer states, “In our last Dev Blog on character customization, we highlighted the nearly unlimited options available to customize your character’s appearance, race, class, gender, core stats, and background. But, this is just the beginning of your customization choices in Neverwinter”
    THEN:
    “In addition, equipping the right armor greatly improves your chances of survival or even walking away unscathed. With multiple armor slots, you have many ways to protect yourself from harm during battle. The most important slots are Head, Armor, Arms, and Feet to protect you from absolute fatal blows from foes. Other slots are necessary to enhance your effectiveness such as Neck, Waist, Shirt (under Armor), and Trousers.”

The first statement concerning appearance and such doesn’t sound like there’s much in the line of character development on that front. The blog, which the second statement I quoted is based off, just says you can use different equipment. This doesn’t sound like much character customization to me, but maybe we’ll see more – who knows? Since the character classes all look relatively static in powers & how they’re handled, I doubt there will be much.

The last thing I’ll touch up on is a quote I found interesting in the “About” section of the website found here: http://nw.perfectworld.com/about

The quote:
    “New D&D, Beloved D&D
    Neverwinter is a true Dungeons & Dragons experience, brought to life with the dynamic Cryptic game engine. In the classic D&D setting of the Forgotten Realms, players will explore and defend one of the most beloved cities from Dungeons & Dragons, as it rises from the ashes of destruction.”

Haha, nice try. Keep telling people the same thing and maybe they’ll believe it. This statement reminds me of 1984 chocolate propaganda. The only thing in this I do believe is it will use the “dynamic cryptic game engine”.

Anyhow, I personally am no longer excited about Neverwinter. It looks stagnant from the start as far as I’m concerned. I’ll still try it out and play for a while in the hopes I’m wrong. Those of you who are all about “balancing” characters are going to be happy. They all seem to be about the same but with different appearances. I always wonder about people who over-rev on “balance”. Once you get perfect balance, nobody can differentiate.

I read a little about the foundry as well but won’t go too much into it. I figure if the game is fun to play I’ll worry about content later, but if it’s not (which I now expect) then it won’t matter. I would, however, like to implore the developers of DDO to find a way to expand content faster because, quite frankly, the other games I’ve seen simply don’t add up. Neverwinter doesn’t look too promising. I hope Skyrim doesn’t blow it. This is all my opinion of course, but it just doesn’t look good to me. I hope it turns out better than how I currently feel about it, and perhaps some or many of you reading this actually think Neverwinter looks cool.
    Last edited by Hoglum; 02-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks for something to think about. I'm not thrilled with NWO at the moment, but the closed beta is just getting started this coming weekend. Might turn out to be a great game. I'll wait and see.
    There is no free lunch.

That reminds me of 4th edition.

I had been looking at Neverwinter, but now I know for certain that I will never play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

The Elder Scrolls Online looks like it's going to be the one MMO that brings every other MMO down. Only bad thing about this game I can even begin to see is the huge graphics engine you'll likely need. Players on weaker rigs will still have to play older games. It has the combat of DDO, the graphics of Skyrim, the PVP of (I dunno but looks awesome!). Not to mention that TES has constantly pushed the envelope of what is possible with every game they'd made.

To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post

I had been looking at Neverwinter, but now I know for certain that I will never play it.
    I would really doubt we will ever see a new 3.5 or older D&D game ever again. Any new game will be based on 4th Edition. NWO will be 4th edition, modified for an MMO like DDO is with 3.5.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post

NWO is based on 4th.

Every time I read anything people post about NWO I just keep hearing it is Champions Online reskinned for a fantasy medieval setting.

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I would really doubt we will ever see a new 3.5 or older D&D game ever again. Any new game will be based on 4th Edition. NWO will be 4th edition, modified for an MMO like DDO is with 3.5.
    Closest chance we have of that is Pathfinder but... after looking at their last attempt to fund it using kickstarter... errr... My hopes are not that high, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    NWO is based on 4th.

Every time I read anything people post about NWO I just keep hearing it is Champions Online reskinned for a fantasy medieval setting.

Closest chance we have of that is Pathfinder but... after looking at their last attempt to fund it using kickstarter... errr... My hopes are not that high, honestly.
    I was so disapointed by champs on line I thought it would similar to champs the rpg at least along the same lines as ddo is to 3.5 but it had very little to do with the pnp game other than the name. The more I hear about NWO the more I feel it will be the same way.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

This looks like a generic hack and slash. I watched the fighter and the caster video. The fighter had the jump and stomp, a cleave thing going and the whirlwind. It seemed to be the only 3-4 things it ever used. Constantly.

The caster seemed to have this ice barrage thing, ice freeze ray and a missile attack of sort. Pretty much it. You'd think if they really wanted to turn people on to wanting to play it they'd add some diversity that brings it into a more interesting version of the hack and slash genre. I loved the original Neverwinter Nights but this seems so very generic like the plethora of hack and slash that was made in the wake of Diablo.

Quote Originally Posted by Syllph View Post
    The Elder Scrolls Online looks like it's going to be the one MMO that brings every other MMO down. Only bad thing about this game I can even begin to see is the huge graphics engine you'll likely need. Players on weaker rigs will still have to play older games. It has the combat of DDO, the graphics of Skyrim, the PVP of (I dunno but looks awesome!). Not to mention that TES has constantly pushed the envelope of what is possible with every game they'd made.

To say I'm excited is an understatement.
    What slayes me about the PvP portion is how they force different races into factions; kind of like evil vs good but in a very corny way. I mean you have two races on the same faction side that traditionally hate each others (lizards and dark elves) and it's not based on region but on race.

And if you played all the different Elder Scroll it has more been regional then 'race' divide. To me it feels like they tried to find some kind of artificial barrier between different races like they have it in WoW (more like evil and good there) and Warhammer Online (evil vs good). Here the faction lines seems force fed.

The graphics look great, but can you sustain what have always felt like an episodical RPG into a continueous MMO? How do you treat the deadric gods and their gift? Will everyone run around being a Vampire Lord with the deadric special items?

Sometimes some things doesn't seem perfect for MMOs but who knows. I was always hoping for a co-op version of the universe but I'm not entirely sold on how this will make a generic MMO mold and at the same time feel and be epic.

Hmmm...

Graphics: A++
    Gameplay: C at best
    Customization: F--

This is a game that, while based on a 4th Edition Ruleset, has uniformly combined all DnD classes into the same thing with different graphical presentations. There are only two things I find to be interesting regarding this game:

1. Graphics (nice)
    2. The Foundry, with it's player submitted content.

Otherwise, like 4th Edition, it's an experiment in failure.

I would presume that the healers must heal only/arcanes only buff meh crowd will find enjoyment being the exact same thing as everyone else.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Community Member

It's ****.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Was Pathfinder supposed to be 3.5? I would be surprised if it was, but I never looked into it. If I was WotC, I would only grant rights to their new stuff to keep it up front for people, and to keep everyone in the current story.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    Was Pathfinder supposed to be 3.5? I would be surprised if it was, but I never looked into it. If I was WotC, I would only grant rights to their new stuff to keep it up front for people, and to keep everyone in the current story.
    I always figured pathfinder was an unoffical 3.75 given they made their own modifications based on 3.5. I've never run nor ran in a pathfinder game.

Maybe by the summer I'll have a chance to run in one, but being that I'm the most DnD knowledgeable of the group, I figure a LOT of things are going to be house ruled and not follow book rules due to the DM not being very experienced in DnD rules at all.

Why I like DDO over most stuff out there and upcoming:

Do not want:

I always figured pathfinder was an unoffical 3.75 given they made their own modifications based on 3.5. I've never run nor ran in a pathfinder game.
    It is basically 3.75, 3.5 with a lot of tweaks, been playing it for a few months now, overall a decent improvement to 3.5. Small things like bardic knowledge now grants half bard level to all knowledge checks and can be used untrained. To re-working all the grapple/trip etc rules.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

I won't play another game from Cryptic.

My experience from them is that they get an IP, make a turnkey generic game out of it, and grab as much cash as they can from players in the process. Star Trek Online, Champions Online, Neverwinter... City of Heroes was their only good product, and that actually improved once they sold it.

I wouldn't touch Neverwinter with a 10' pole while wearing trapblast goggles.

The more I hear and see about the new NW... the less and less I want to play it.

It started out bad by being 4th ed, and has done nothing to go downhill since. The latest "pay us $200 to be a Drizzt clone" was just too hilarious for words.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    The more I hear and see about the new NW... the less and less I want to play it.

It started out bad by being 4th ed, and has done nothing to go downhill since. The latest "pay us $200 to be a Drizzt clone" was just too hilarious for words.
    Was excited to see a newer DnD game come out, was excieted to watch the teasers....that Control Wizard video made my smile drrrrop. Ffffffffaaaarrrrtttt. No ty.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    Was excited to see a newer DnD game come out, was excieted to watch the teasers....that Control Wizard video made my smile drrrrop. Ffffffffaaaarrrrtttt. No ty.
    I made that exact same sound.

Just wasn't sure how to spell it until now.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Is it just me or dose the "control wizard" look like he's making little *bang* *bang* finger gun motions while firing off some of his spells?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast