Community Member

Default need info on arcane archer enhancements

My character is an Elf Cleric. I mostly use spells for healing, Buffs, and AoE spells when i set up a chokepoints. I am considering adding elf arcane archer enhancements. So i just want to make sure the info is correct; Before i try the transition and overlook something and end up with a frustrating mess.
    So if my Elf character has more than +6bab. If i add/change point blank, ranged weapon focus, mental toughness.

If i meet all these, will i be able to add elvish arcane archery enhancements?

Community Member

Yup but keep in mind it takes a lot of Enhancement points to get the various abilities, plus you want feats like Manyshot, Bow Strength and improved precise shot so you can really do some damage. Otherwise you might as well grab a two handed weapon and whack things with it, will probably be the same damage done for less investment.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

You can do it, but you probably shouldn't do it. It takes a lot of feats to make archery even half-way useful, and you won't have those to spare on a pure cleric; you'd have to add a lot of ranger or fighter levels (ranger gives you automatic archer feats at some levels and fighter gives you bonus feats) to get them, which would seriously harm your spellcasting ability.

The problem is that the rate of attack for a bow is quite slow and there is normally no way to add damage to the attacks beyond your weapon effects or AA ability. Additionally, your attack bonus with a bow comes from Dexterity, and Dex doesn't really add anything else for a cleric.

If you just want to experiment, you could try it out, but be aware that you might not get much out of the basic AA abilities
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Can you? Yes. Should you? Wellll...it takes a lot of ranged feats to do even decent DPS with a bow - feats which you're not investing in spell-casting. So trying to find a balance between the two is tricky; you pretty much have to multiclass to get enough feats. Also you have to get good at juggling spells with the pew-pew.

Have a look at my Radiant Archer thread. But you may have better luck with my Bardcher; bards aren't expected to be primary healers the way clerics are, so you can get away with being more flavor-oriented.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Community Member

Smile

tyvm everyone. I was mostly looking at the summon/imbue enhancements. I am a weapon flipper. So i thought that perhaps, if i could use a single weapon and just use the varied elemental damage type(s)...
    But thanks; Cuz it looks like, all of you saved me from the mess; I knew was there...

P.S: I saw a post about helping new players, If anyone can vouche for a guild that helps new players, Id be more than glad to donate some plat...