Court Jester

Default Paly leveling idea help please

OK, so, about to do a TR paly train... x3 to get that 15% heal amp. I've looked around for a decent build for a twf bastard sword paly build, but haven't found one that seems interesting enough.

Reason for bastard swords? No idea, probably because everyone goes Khopesh and I have a few good bastard swords rusting away in the bank.

The idea of this build is to be able to level up fast while soloing/some parties on elite.

Ideas? I'll probably have a better grasp of the paly build on my 2nd paly life, but any tips would be great. I'll be a 36 point build when I tr and I have +4 tomes to each stat.

Community Member

Ellisdee37 posted a great pally/rouge build, if you search for thread posted by Ellisdee37 you should be able to find it
    We are all lost travelers, on a journey to find that which we do not know, but it is not a prize we seek, but the road that must be taken, it is that inside us that drives us forward into the unknown.

If the idea is to just get to 20 and qualify for Paladin Past Life

Consider: 18/2 Paladin/Fighter <- More feats available for the Exotic and TWF

Start Str: 16 Dex: 14 Chr: 14 <- +4 Tome will help you qualify For TWF feats and Divine Might

Flavor your other Attributes as you prefer potentially into CON. Wisdom/Intelligence can be left alone. Gear or use of a 2nd Level Owl's spell will be needed to cast 3rd/4th level spells

If doing this as a to 20 and not staying any longer look at it more as a 16/2 Paladin/Fighter

If you are planning to go the DoS route with PrE take the Shield Feat to qualify.

Court Jester

Interesting. Yeah, I just want a fast way to level up to 20, it's not going to be my final build whatsoever, so the 18/2 paly/fighter looks good. I checked out the 18/2 paly/rogue build, and it looks solid, but the PRR seems a bit low for someone who basically should be tank.

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

I like evasion and/or faster movement speed for levelling builds. Both are preferable, and running without either for 3 consecutive lives would drive me bonkers.

If there is a feat crunch when you type up your build (planning these in excel takes like 2 minutes, but is worthwhile), I'd go 2 monk (evasion + feats) / 2 fighter (feats) / 14 paladin.

If there's not a feat crunch, I'd much rather go:
    1 ranger (sprint boost) /
    3 monk (monk speed 1, heal amp 1, feats, you won't use the light finishers due to b-swords but they're potentially there) /
    14 Paladin (Zeal). As a human probably if you need the feat, else h-elf Rogue dilettante is nice, or h-elf Cleric dilettante if you want too.

You can still use b-swords with both of the above if you want, though obviously handwraps are a viable option if you find/have something nice.

For literally every TR build ever though, being without either of 2 items makes me sad:
    -invisibility clickies, get at least 1, preferably 2 or 3. Game changing in many quests (though I didn't realise their applicability in some quests for many, many TRs. e.g. Tomb of the Shadow Lord.).

AH can have them, though usually not at low MLs. Stand Your Ground and Bookbinder Rescue quests from the Sharn Syndicate chain can give you ML 1: 3 charge/rest goggles and rings of invisibility. I don't think they ransack rewards either, so I'd give your patience and luck at least a brief test (Bookbinder is faster but slightly harder given the failure condition.)

-Unsupressed Pale Lavender Ioun Stone. Makes Beholders and Caster Bosses (Von 2 Elf lady - disintegrate, OOB guy - flesh to stone, Missing End-Boss - prismatic spray) less dangerous.
    Last edited by Deathdefy; 02-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Quote Originally Posted by hi_sa1nt View Post
    Interesting. Yeah, I just want a fast way to level up to 20, it's not going to be my final build whatsoever, so the 18/2 paly/fighter looks good. I checked out the 18/2 paly/rogue build, and it looks solid, but the PRR seems a bit low for someone who basically should be tank.
    What tanking are you going to do while leveling, though? You're not going to be able to hold aggro from leveling casters without throwing away DPS anyway, and damage is so modest in heroic content that the group is better off just letting arcanes have the aggro so you can bring your SA DPS to bear.