Community Member

Default New (old) player, looking for soloing advice

So I originally played DDO back at release in 2006, through Twilight Forge, but stopped before Sands came out. I just recently got back into it thanks to a couple of my friends playing. So while I understand the vast majority of all the basic concepts, at the same time I am at best very rusty, and at worst still act like a newb.

I am trying to get some advice on the best/most efficient way to solo the lower levels and quickly gain XP, particularly when using less solo-friendly classes. My friends and I are very low on gear/money since most of us just started playing in the last month or so.

Any recommendations on specific quests to run, or at least specific ones to avoid? My characters range from level 5 to 11 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldEsq View Post
    So I originally played DDO back at release in 2006, through Twilight Forge, but stopped before Sands came out. I just recently got back into it thanks to a couple of my friends playing. So while I understand the vast majority of all the basic concepts, at the same time I am at best very rusty, and at worst still act like a newb.

I am trying to get some advice on the best/most efficient way to solo the lower levels and quickly gain XP, particularly when using less solo-friendly classes. My friends and I are very low on gear/money since most of us just started playing in the last month or so.

Any recommendations on specific quests to run, or at least specific ones to avoid? My characters range from level 5 to 11 right now.
    I think the first thing you'll notice is that quests are a lot easier in the early levels than they were back in '06 - especially for small groups where the quests are scaled down.

Sounds like you have a small static group - so I say run em all!

*Editting for reading comprehension faliure. Missed the "solo" in there.... *

Here ya go:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=342069
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 02-04-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

Yeah there are a group of 4 or 5 of us that play together regularly. I love the hirelings allowing us to fill out a party. Though I was disappointed to find out that we couldn't use them in a raid. Going to have to make more friends with people on our server.

As for soloing, in large part it is just because I like having a variety of characters available. I'm our group's primary cleric (can't trust the hirelings for everything, especially buffs), but I want to have some other options. So I am trying to figure out how to keep my alts close to our group's mains' level.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoboldEsq View Post

Hola, I still consider myself a ddo rookie: but, I play mostly 90% solo. Best advice i can give you, is to bring a rogue, and/or a cleric hireling for traps or to res you if you die close to final boss. Always leave a hireling that can res; In a safe place but, close enough to run to; if you get struck down.

For lower levels, you can solo stuff with good survivability (sometimes pretty easily) so long as you tailor your tactics to your character class and build. I've recently taken to bringing a hireling for many quests, usually a cleric; while that may scale the dungeon slightly, it'll still skew more in your favor thanks to the help from the hireling. (Also be smart about how you use it; you won't always want it making its own decisions, because in some places in some quests, that can get you killed. It can also get 'paralyzed' due to its inability to choose, and you could get caught having to fight while it stands there - when that happens, quickly set it to passive and then back to active again.)

To quickly get some XP, gear and money, farm a few quests known to give decent loot and XP for your level. For example, around level 2 or 3, I'm fond of running through The Kobold's New Ringleader. I typically do the optional, smash all the barrels, etc. There's also Baudry Cartamon's quest line around that level, with a lot of barrels and crates to smash, chests to open, etc. Anything you can't use for your character you can sell on AH, take them to the pawn brokers, or disjunct for essences and plat at the Crafting Hall. (In a few cases, like throwing hammers and darts - which I never use - just straight-up sell them. If you can throw on a Charisma/Haggling item before you do, you can squeeze out a little bit more money for them.)

Also, the sooner you're able to run The Waterworks and other quests which give you discounts at merchants (like Shan-To-Kor or Tangleroot), or join a decent level guild for access to guild vendors, the more money you can save when buying/repairing.

You'll level with some decent gear and a good plat cushion in no time.

Greetings and welcome back to the wonderful world of DDO!

As cdbd3rd stated, you will notice that much has changed within the game and a great deal of the lower level content is significantly easier than since the days of launch. This doesn't seem to ruin the nostalgia factor with some quests that have been around forever though.

I have found that the vast majority of content can be run solo or shortmanned with or without a hireling. It all depends on the quest, what class you are, and your playstyle. I'm not certain what you have access to, but there are quite a few free to play as well as pay to play quests out there that would suit your needs. Here's a link to quests by level from the DDO Wiki that may be beneficial to you:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Quests_by_level

Hirelings are your friend, specifically Cleric hirelings who have Divine Vitality included in their array. The healing hirelings can help you save on precious resources until a steady flow of plat is achieved. Using a Cleric hireling that has DV is very nice for replenishing blue bars if things go awry or if a quest is lacking in shrines. Obtaining a Cleric or Favored Soul hireling that has the capacity to resurrect is also a bonus. As useful as hirelings can be, they do require some micro-management at times so you want to be certain to watch for when they spazz out.

Lastly, what server are you on? If you happen to be based on Cannith, I'm pretty certain I could assist with some gear, quests, or even plat to help you all get situated.
    The Blue Queen - Shadow Warriors - Cannith

www.twitch.tv/thebluequeen

To solve the plat/item issue I would suggest to farm rares in the Orchard. An arcane or divine toon makes it being like a walk in the park. You'll be decent rich in a very short time and as a bonus can also get decent xp from slayers/explorers if doing it at mid level (from lvl 10).
    When you know how to get around in there, it takes about 20 minutes to hit all rares, and you'll usually get 5-7 chests with decent loot at level.
    You can also get Tome pages, Taps and shield pieces that you can sell on the AH for decent plat (or keep in order to turn in collections for some nice named items).
    You'll find some nice maps and tips on the wiki: http://ddowiki.com/page/Orchard_of_the_Macabre
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith