Community Member

Default Monk for Dumbies - Please help

I want to create a Monk. He/she will start at Veteran Level 7. I am not thinking TR or EE. My friends and I just play Normal and Hard, and we don't do raids either (yet). I have two 20+ characters that I will be buying stuff for him/her with from the AH. So figure that at level 7 I will have a + 4 Dex, Con, Str and Wis item. At 11 I will have a + 6 item for those 4 stats also.

Here is what I want: I want a character that I can solo Normal content with - with or without a hireling. So I want a defensive character, like a "Light Monk". I want to be able to heal myself as much as possible (taking all the healing and Shintao enhancements), and I want to be able to hit multiple enemies at a time if possible. I want to do decent damage with handwraps. I can get paralyzing handwraps for crowd control when it is needed also. With all of this in mind, here is what I think I want so far. I have 32 point builds too.

Human Monk
    16 STR, 14 DEX, 14 CON, 16 WIS, 8 INT, 8 CHA. (I can use 1 level up for + 1 Dex, and use a + 2 tome to get it to 17 for Improved TWF.)

Feats I have in mind (in no particular order): Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical - Bludgeoning, Toughness, Stunning Fist, ...? (Dodge?)

Would this work OK for a solo build for Normal content? If so, where should the level ups go - STR or WIS? What other feats should I consider?

Thanks for your help.

Community Member

Wink

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=394639

Read the guide in the above thread, then read the thread.

Community Member SlayerInFlorida's Avatar

You can check out my thread where I received some very good advice:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=404115
    SlayerInFlorida
    Light Monk Build

Wink

It looks pretty solid for what u want to do. I personally put my lvl ups into wis. most of the finishing moves need a good wisdom to land efficiently. some ppl enjoy str monk builds too tho. i will try not to hijack your post buy going into that whole debate.

I spent 2 lives as a light monk then on my 3rd life i went to the dark side. i will stay here (afterall they have cookies) forever. its not hard with the healing amp available to human monks to keep yourself up with pots. if you have helf available to you then go cleric dili and problem solved.

Community Member

I do have H Elf Available, but I didn't think that they get as much Healing Amp as Human, and of course you lose a feat (which I may not need anyway). When you say "problem solved" with Cleric Dill (which I know nothing about), can someone expand on that? Is it just because I could use wands instead? It doesn't let me use scrolls, correct?

By the way, it seems that if I put 4 level ups into STR (taking it to 20), and then get a + 3 STR tome I could get overwhelming Critical at 21. Would this make handwrap attack criticals have a x3 multiplier? Also, when DDO Wiki shows bare-handed damage, that includes handwraps, correct? And is that damage "per hand", so that if the other hand also attacked it would do double damage? I read something somewhere about handwraps doing slower damage than barehanded. Is this true?

Also, does monk barehanded/handwrap damage increase at all after 20? I noticed on my 21 Arti that his level 21 repeater does twice the base damage as a level 20 one. Do monks get anything similar to this option at higher levels?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by stefferweffer View Post
    I do have H Elf Available, but I didn't think that they get as much Healing Amp as Human, and of course you lose a feat (which I may not need anyway). When you say "problem solved" with Cleric Dill (which I know nothing about), can someone expand on that? Is it just because I could use wands instead? It doesn't let me use scrolls, correct?
    You can use scrolls as a 10th level cleric.
    Also, does monk barehanded/handwrap damage increase at all after 20? I noticed on my 21 Arti that his level 21 repeater does twice the base damage as a level 20 one. Do monks get anything similar to this option at higher levels?
    Yes, though you won't see it in the tooltip.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

cleric dili lets u use wands and scrolls. you will have a 95% chance on heal scrolls and 100% chance at raise dead. not to mention restoration and other helpful scrolls. you can go the improved critical route if you want. i have never tried it. i went for vorpal strikes for no better reason than i like high wis monk builds and it fit right in. i could probably fit in both if i wanted to tweak it around some more but honestly it has no issues in EE content as is. you can take improved martial arts and that increases your unarmed attack base damage. to be honest i dont know if it goes up automatically as u lvl up from 20 to 25. (i guess i should pay more attention)I think my lvl 24 has a 8(1-6) base damage. but i have a monk PL. i didnt take cleave or great cleave either. there are enough buttons to smash on monks as it is. i had cleave but after realizing i never had time to fit it in i switched it to improved sunder.

hmm cant remember your other question. something about barehand and unarmed maybe? you will be fighting unarmed with handwraps. that is by far the best way to go with monks. your attack speed will be off the hook in wind stance or with an increased melee item on. either or, they wont stack. i wear an melee item and use mountain stance except in raid situations where i dont want to steal agro.