Community Member

Default Tower shields and proficiency

It is my understanding, from ddowiki and some forum threads, that tower shield proficiency will grant 5 PRR when equipping a tower shield.

However, that does not seem to be the case on my FvS. Whether I have the shield equipped or not, with or without proficiency makes no difference in the PRR.

Is the bonus bugged? Am I being a dumbie? Questions, questions...
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

There's currently a bug that gives everyone who equips a shield 10 prr and 4% doublestrike. This bonus stays even if you unequip the shield.

The bug is probably linked to bad coding in the 'legendary shield mastery' ability in Unyielding Sentinel, so don't think the bug bonus will stack if you do actually have legendary shield mastery.

Otherwise, to get PRR from just having a shield equipped, you need the shield mastery line of feats.

With a tower shield, you'd get 10 prr if you had shield mastery, and 5 more prr (total 15) if you had improved shield mastery.

Community Member

Oh, I see. So without proficiency you just get plain +5 PRR from a tower shield with shield mastery.

And I did notice that bug just now . Confused me even more!
    Cannith

Shield Mastery:
    increases the Physical Resistance Rating by
    3 when using a buckler or small shield
    5 when using a large shield
    10 when using a tower shield.

Improved Shield Mastery:
    increases the Physical Resistance Rating by
    5 when using a buckler or small shield
    10 when using a large shield
    15 when using a tower shield.

-----------

So, assuming you have the shield mastery feat, and taking the current bug into account, you'd get 20 prr and 4% doublestrike from having a tower shield equipped.

I don't know what difference it might make if you don't actually have tower shield proficiency. But you can UMD masters touch scrolls to get proficiency with the shield, if you needed it.

Community Member

Something to consider before you actually take tower shield proficiency as feat is how easy it is to use Scrolls of Masters Touch instead.

It does not take much UMD skill to be able to use a Masters Touch scroll, since it's a level 1 spell. A stack of 100 scrolls is cheap to buy and lasts a long time.

The spell has no duration either. It lasts until you either:

- rest at a shrine
    - complete a quest and exit
    - enter a new quest

It's just not worth spending a precious feat on it when you can accomplish the same thing with some scrolls.

Community Member

I am using scrolls.
    Cannith