Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F2p?

Community Member

Default F2p?

I have played DnD forever, and when I ran across DDO, I figured I would want to try it. question, though- What DDO Store items will I have to buy?? It seems like some might be necessary.

It's actually possible to play completely free for some time, depending on what you want out of the game and how much "grind" you're willing to put up with to get it. Most of the races and classes are included in the f2p content, as well as all (or almost all) level 1 & 2 quests. At level 3+ there start being more p2p quests and areas, but there are still a fair number of f2p ones as well.

In addition, playing the free stuff earns you Turbine points that can be used to unlock the rest, though earning enough to unlock everything would be quite an effort - most people find it more efficient to just buy some points, or at least pay for a month of VIP to generate some points running the lower level p2p content they're not going to want to buy permanently.

As long as you're not determined to play a Warforged or Monk (or drow, half-elf, half-orc, druid, favored soul or artificer, or have 32-point builds from the start), I'd recommend just starting with the free stuff to get a feel for the game and decide after you've played for a while what you'd be interested in buying.

nothing from the ddo store is 'necessary'. You can play through a very large portion of the game entirely for free. With a lot of grinding you can earn the Turbine Points needed to buy more adventure packs, classes and other perks, BUT it will take a serious time investment. There are several guides here on doing this.

I wouldn't get bogged down in worrying about what you can and can't do in DDO for free. My advice would be to start out free, play for a couple months, and then decide where to go from there. You'll always have the option to spend as much or as little as you want later on, and in the meantime there is PLENTY to do and see. You'll see.

edit: hehe. I was ninja'd by less than a minute! Nice to see both of the 1st two replies say essentially the same thing. Seems like reliable advice
    Last edited by BOgre; 02-04-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbok07 View Post
    I have played DnD forever, and when I ran across DDO, I figured I would want to try it. question, though- What DDO Store items will I have to buy?? It seems like some might be necessary.
    You honestly don't "have" to buy anything. In theory you can play the whole game for free, but it would be a bit of an evil grind that way.

You absolutely can start out and run the first few levels for free if you want. There will be a few quests you can't do, but it should be plenty to get you going and get a feel for the game.

You will eventually want to buy the "expansion" which really is required for L21-25.

By mid levels you will likely want to buy some "adventure packs", such as Gianthold, The Vale, Necro IV, etc.

Once you have more than one character, you will want to buy the "shared bank" to allow you to move certain types of bound items between characters.

If after the first couple levels you find you like the game, I highly recommend that you buy a 1 month VIP membership. This will gives you a month of access to more races, classes, and all the 1-20 content. Its the best way to try out the game in my opinion.

It's worth noting that when you buy your very first thing in the store (including a VIP 1 month sub), you move from free to Premium, which gives you 4 characters instead of 2, and dramatically increases your access to the AH, plat storage, /tells, and more.

One warning, while this game was inspired by D&D and while many D&D players very much enjoy this game, it has strayed a fair bit in some areas from the D&D rules (for example the entire "to hit" system was replaced by something else about a year ago). Its not a big deal but just know that not everything will be as you expect.

Now get in game and join the fun!

Sorry, wall of text to follow.

Technically you don't have to purchase anything with real money. Everything is available through the DDOStore for Turbine Points that you can earn through favor farming. However, be prepared for it to take you many, many hours of grinding boredom to achieve that.

Realistically, if I were you,(and btw it is exactly what I did, so take that for what it is worth to you), I would first be very sure that this is something you want to invest hours and some real money into. You can easily make level 12 strictly on F2P content without much grinding(if any), while learning game play and character generation.

Throw everything you know about making a good character in DnD out the window. Then come look up into the Some Helpful Forum Posts for New Players in this section of the forums. There are some basic builds by Tihocan that will help get you started. Do not use a pre-build path on the character generator.

Next, I would take that character and form groups in Korthos and just start playing. Do not skip anything over there as it teaches basic gameplay and enables you to get some basic gear that will help you for a few levels.

From there, I would do the Harbor quests and explore Harbor. Check out all the shops and taverns. Then go to the Marketplace and spend a big chunk of time exploring, look in all the shops, visit all the brokers(good place to get reasonably priced basic gear). Go through all the gates into the various houses and explore there. DO NOT go into Searing Heights with a level 3-4 toon.

Run all the quests on normal when you are a level above what is stated as the quest level. Take the time to learn all the parts of a quest before trying a higher difficulty. Don't fall into Bravery Bonus elite groups if you do not know the quest. It is a good way to die and get frustrated(and probably talked bad to).

You will re-roll(delete and make new toons) your characters many times before you get the hang of it. We all did. Do not feel bad about it. Do make sure you have the next 100 point mark of total favor as this gives you more Turbine Points before you re-roll. Send any non-bound-to-character items to your other toon through the mail. Send the money also.

You can get 125TP for the first 100 points of favor on each server. This is a really good way to get the first couple of items from the DDOStore.

Now, onto what to buy when you have some points: The first thing I would buy if I were determined to stay F2P is a character slot. With this you can favor farm(run the character through Korthos and Harbor quests to get 100 favor for 25 TP, then delete and reroll). You will probably not want to use your 2 free slots for this as you can be levelling those toons and getting more experience and favor with them. But, this is a personal choice.

After that, you buy nothing but packs(aka "content"). With more content, you get more favor, more xp and some really helpful items. My suggestions for starter packs would be Delera's Graveyard, Gianthold, and Vale of Twilight. You can read several forum posts about this by using the search option above and trying "VIP to premium" to see what packs give what goodies and why they are good values.

If you want to make a small investment(highly recommended), you can either purchase the smallest points package from the DDOStore or DDOMarket, or purchase a Turbine or DDO points card from many retailers. This makes you a premium account for as little as $7.99. You get 2 more character slots(don't buy one with points if going this route), and many other benefits. Then hang onto those points until a pack you have decided to buy goes on sale. Do NOT buy consumables until you have all the content you want.

Sorry this is so long, but I am trying to give you a way to get started to save you some of the issues I encountered when new. Find a server you like and where you speak the language. Find friends, make or join a guild of helpful people. Ask questions in the forums or in guild. If some advice does not seem correct, ask multiple people.
    Last edited by susiedupfer; 02-04-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Hey Arbok07,

Welcome to the game! Aside from all the great advice bestowed already, let me offer some words as well.

As susiedupfer said, forget most of what you know about D&D mechanics. DDO is not the same. Before making your character, I can highly recommend reading up on the game with DDOWiki. It's the best, most accurate (usually) resource for the game. It contains answers for 95% of the questions you are going to have when starting out.

The next item I can highly recommend is Ron Hiler's DDO Character Planner. Using this fantastic little app will save loads of time and prevent much disappointment.

As for required Store items; there are none. Most of the Store content is comprised of convenience and cosmetic items. There are some very handy things in there, but you'll need none of those to get a feel for the game.

I hope you enjoy the game and best of luck!
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

There's nothing you absolutely have to buy. At some point, you'll run out of F2P adventures and will want to pick up some adventure packs; and I would say the shared bank option is really handy if you have alts, because it's the only way to trade BtA (bound to account) items between chars. But you can earn TPs (Turbine Points) through Favor which are then used in the DDO Store; I consider Favor-grinding an inefficient way of unlocking content, but there are guides to help you do that if you wish.

That said, I suggest you figure out what sort of character you want to play, research for some good builds, then just dive in until you get the hang of things and decide whether or not you enjoy DDO in the first place.

The only thing you want from the store are:

Adventure packs -needed
    Shared Bank - useful

Much, much later in the game (and only if you are a hoarder like me) you may want extra bank space/character space.

Apart from that, never buy weapons, items, potions, or anything from the store. Most of it can be bought using platinum and you'll be swimming in plat soon enough. There are only a handful of things that cannot be found for free in the game and those items are not needed. (shears of destiny, and possibly something else?)

DDO, unlike other MMOs, doesn't give you an advantage buying uber gear off a pay-store. In fact, most of the items that you can find in the game (easily) are far superior to the store items. The store is more a convenience store in case you forgot something, not a buy-your-way-to-victory.

Note about Adventure packs: take a moment before you buy them. Some are great, some are terrible. It depends on why you want them (XP, weapons, fun) www.ddowiki.com is a great site to learn anything about everything.

Lots of good items are BtA (bound to Account) meaning that without the shared bank, it will quickly become annoying. Your caster find the exact item your fighter wanted, or vice verse. This is only if you play multiple toons. Even this option is not "needed" it's just useful.

All the above applies only if you're fp2. If you're VIP and get points every month, spend them on whatever.

A few DON'T Buys...

Don't buy Drow. They are actually super-easy to unlock for free, and contrary to the in-game advert they're not just that cool. Not cool enough to dole out Points for, anyhow.

Don't buy weapons, ammo, armor or quivers from the cash shop. These are traps, and not even close to being worth the low-ish asking price. You will find better, or at least equal-to, items just by questing. Loot in this game is not hard to come by.

Don't buy armor kits. They are expensive, and you really won't want to buy them on starting characters. The kits bind to the armor, and cannot be reused. If you are tempted by a kit, wait till later game where you may be using the same armor for a while. Even then, if you really want one, try the Preview button first to make sure you like what you are gonna buy.

Don't buy the Three Barrel Cove adventure pack. It's a pretty area, but almost never run. It is, for all intents and purposes, nearly dead content. It's the only pack I regret buying and view to have been a waste of points.

Just about the only thing you will likely feel the need to buy, eventually, will be Adventure Packs. But you will have plenty to play before you get there - and by that point you should know if you like the game enough to drop money on it.

Welcome to the game, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Don't buy the Three Barrel Cove adventure pack. It's a pretty area, but almost never run. It is, for all intents and purposes, nearly dead content. It's the only pack I regret buying and view to have been a waste of points.
    This area has been updated with new loot. It's not stellar, but can be pretty useful low level twink gear. While the Free Agents favor you recieve here will not make nor break you, it's a quick 99 points, so that's helpful. Also, the quests in this area are really really fun. So, certainly not a TOP shelf pack, but not a waste of points (in my books).
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    [sic 3BC] This area has been updated with new loot. It's not stellar, but can be pretty useful low level twink gear.
    It's actually pretty good stuff for new players who don't have a Cannith crafting toon. I've had Scorching Wraps go for between 100k and 200K on the AH. Not that I'd pay that for them, but some folks will. Good way to pick up plat in a hurry.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    This area has been updated with new loot. It's not stellar, but can be pretty useful low level twink gear. While the Free Agents favor you recieve here will not make nor break you, it's a quick 99 points, so that's helpful. Also, the quests in this area are really really fun. So, certainly not a TOP shelf pack, but not a waste of points (in my books).
    dont forget the treasure maps from three barrel cove, the reason i bought this pack, save them up and use them at higher lvl for a better loot grab.

F2P can make it to TR, a bit of a grind but some of us like to grind.

If your running on the argo server, I would be happy to help you learn more about the game and provide you ith some goodies to help you out.

Enjoy the day and keep gaming!
    We are all lost travelers, on a journey to find that which we do not know, but it is not a prize we seek, but the road that must be taken, it is that inside us that drives us forward into the unknown.

Community Member

Wow! All kinds of informational replies!

I kinda thought this game was dead- mostly because it came out long ago. Apparently not!

So-I think I'm going to be playing in like 20 min-Argo server is a good one to start on?? Any guild looking for rank newbies?

Oh, and any good, central listings for character builds?
    Last edited by Arbok07; 02-04-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Wow! All kinds of informational replies!

I kinda thought this game was dead- mostly because it came out long ago. Apparently not!

So-I think I'm going to be playing in like 20 min-Argo server is a good one to start on??
    The only server I would advise not starting on is Wayfinder due to the low population.

Edit: Welcome to the game.

I wish!

The best you'll find around here would be the Classes Forum and it's sub forums. Practice your search-fu before taking the plunge. It's messy. You can always post a fishing thread in New Player Advice. You'll get a few good ideas and links here and there if you are somewhat specific as to what you're looking to play.

Best of luck!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

It's a bit obsolete, but tihocan's thread is still a good starting point for improved versions of the default paths Turbine offers. In particular, it gives you a good idea of what the pros & cons of every class is, how you can build each toon, etc. My suggestion would be to start browsing there, then ask here for an updated version.

Community Member

I'm looking for a build that does good soloing, but woul still be useful in a party- like a Fighter4/Rogue16 for weapon specialization and crazy SA.... or something similar. I'd like to be melee based, but be able to solo easily

I'm looking for a build that does good soloing, but woul still be useful in a party- like a Fighter4/Rogue16 for weapon specialization and crazy SA.... or something similar. I'd like to be melee based, but be able to solo easily
    This is a case where DDO is different than D&D.

Check this out: http://ddowiki.com/page/Rogue_enhancements

You will note that there is a very powerful enhancement line, the Assassin Prestige Enhancment, which really makes you want at least 18 rogue (or stop at 13 for a deeper Multiclass).

In addition, L20 gives you +2 int and +4d6 sneak damage on top of the +10d6 that a rogue would normally get.

Personally, I'd suggest you run a pure rogue to cap if you like rogues.

You should also know that UMD is a MUST HAVE skill for rogues in DDO. Keep it maximized. A lot of consumables are available in unlimited quantities for plat in game so it opens up a huge amount of self buffing and self healing options for you, as well as letting you use alignment or race restricted items.

Quote Originally Posted by Gkar View Post
    This is a case where DDO is different than D&D.

Personally, I'd suggest you run a pure rogue to cap if you like rogues.
    I have to agree with Gkar on this one. If you want the "crazy SA" and are strictly F2P, you could do worse than a pure rogue. You'll be able to solo fairly well and forced to learn resource management and tactics to keep yourself alive - Skills not all possess in abundance.

Multiclass builds in DDO tend to either be "splash" builds (just 1 or 2 levels of one of the classes) such as wizard 18/rogue 2, or split at multiples of 6, because of the prestige enhancement system which awards a package of goodies (special abilities) for taking 6, 12 or 18 levels of one class along with the prerequisite skills, feats, etc.

Be careful with multiclassing on a first character - DDO has both subtle and unsubtle differences from D&D, and it's easy for even an experienced D&D player to discover somewhere along the way that they would have been better off with a different combination, or staying pure. Add to that that changing class levels is one of the hardest (most expensive) things to do without just scrapping the character and starting over, and you can see why many "vets" advise new players to just stick with single-classed characters till they get a feel for the game

I second the advice to check out the sample builds for new players thread - even if you end up deciding to go with something completely different or modify one of the builds there, it is a good place to start for seeing what can be accomplished with the kinds of resources new players can expect to have. A lot of the builds you'll find elsewhere will assume things like 32-point builds (or even past lives), full sets of +2 tomes at 7th level and the like. Not having those things can have varying effects from making the build feel underpowered to making it impossible to meet feat prerequisites at the proper level.

As for the type of build that might fit your preferences, a strength-based pure rogue might be worth considering, as might taking some fighter levels, or even making an 18/1/1/ tempest ranger with a rogue level and a fighter level. Just be sure to take note of the prestige enhancements you might want and at least look over the capstones, since only pure-class characters can get those. I also second the suggestion to check out Ron's character planner to see how everything will fit together as you level up; it's a great resource

Good luck, and enjoy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast