Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F2p?

Community Member

Well, I've been having a hard time finding all of that, and while getting to know the game, I was thinking a simple build. Pure fighter or paladin might be fun...

I'm really just looking for something I can play just to get a feel for the game
    Last edited by Arbok07; 02-04-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbok07 View Post
    Pure fighter or palain might be fun, but I'm really just looking for something I can play just to get a feel for the game
    Don't worry about your first character so much. Chances are it'll be dismal and die repeatedly. THAT'S OK. This game is huge, complex and takes a while to learn. Nobody is expecting you to be OMG AWESOME!!!11!! out of the gate.

Roll up a human barbarian. Max out Str and Con. Tell Jeets to give you a great axe and kill things. All else will come in the fullness of time.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

Now, I don't think I've ever actually played BARB, because most of the time, fighters were way better...but I saw the vanguard(2-hand fighting) fighter, and it seems pretty slick to start with. I guess I'll check it out!

For levels 1-12, you really don't need anything from the store. After level 12, it is good to have some adventure packs.

After you reach level 20, you need epic destinies.
    Epic destinies is the only thing you need to have from the store to not be gimp

The best adventure packs are High level adventure packs, because that is where free content is sparse.

I would highly recommend the following packs:
    Gianthold
    Vale of twilight

I would recommend the following:
    Vault of Night
    Demon Sands (might be called sands of menechtauran)
    MOTU
    Necropolis 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Community Member

Nevermind! Lumba Jax, Bastion of the outlands Barbarian, is born! I'm on Agro, if anyone wants to say hi, and I'm going to go chop things up!

Now, I don't think I've ever actually played BARB, because most of the time, fighters were way better...but I saw the vanguard(2-hand fighting) fighter, and it seems pretty slick to start with. I guess I'll check it out!
    Most forumites will tell you the pre-made character paths are bad. They are, but they also serve a purpose. The Vanguard Fighter path is good for what is was intended. An excellent choice Arbok07. Go forth and slay those icky fish dudes! And really, ask Jeets for the great axe. You'll know what that means when you get there.

Best of luck!

EDIT:

Nevermind! Lumba Jax, Bastion of the outlands Barbarian, is born! I'm on Agro, if anyone wants to say hi, and I'm going to go chop things up!
    Well then. All success to Lumba Jax, Bastion of the Outlands!
    Last edited by sebastianosmith; 02-04-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

If you're a human, make sure to take the
    Human Improved Recovery enhancements
    It means that you get healed for more
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is the only party buff
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    talk about your exploits
    DDO is not PnP. This is by design

Community Member

I think the worst of being f2p is:

- the limit on how much gold you can carry which increases by level (it's pretty low).
    - you can only post 1 item in the AH (this can be upgrade I think, but Idk how it works)

In this post they talk about the specific limitations on F2P:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=198216

Don't buy the Three Barrel Cove adventure pack. It's a pretty area, but almost never run. It is, for all intents and purposes, nearly dead content. It's the only pack I regret buying and view to have been a waste of points.
    Wow!

I'd strongly urge anyone who actually was prepared to pay money to play DDO to buy 3 Barrel Cove {For the Explorer Zone alone!}!
    Now It wouldn't be the first pack on the list:

1. Vale of Twilight
    2. Sands of Menechtarun
    3. Phiarlan Carnival

But it would be a long way ahead of:

Necropolis III
    Restless Isles
    Threnal!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Wow!

I'd strongly urge anyone who actually was prepared to pay money to play DDO to buy 3 Barrel Cove {For the Explorer Zone alone!}!
    Now It wouldn't be the first pack on the list:

1. Vale of Twilight
    2. Sands of Menechtarun
    3. Phiarlan Carnival

But it would be a long way ahead of:

Necropolis III
    Restless Isles
    Threnal!
    Agreed, except for Threnal. Coyle is pure torture, yes, but the Mantle of the Worldshaper makes it worthwhile. I hate to recommend a pack on ONE piece of gear, but... well, you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

I would also not suggest a pre-made path, go custom. That way you will get to know better the feats, enhancements and so forth as you level.

Just stick straight fighter or barb and level up a bit. Don't be afraid to create a new toon and try new things.

My suggestion if you feel you like the game is to buy VIP for one month. This gives you access to all the packs *and* gives you 500 pts in the DDO store. So you can check out some of the packs you may want to buy later. Then if you decide to not stay VIP and go back to free you are now a "Premium" sub vs. true F2P which gives you some great benefits like 2 extra character slots, more plat cap, more AH listings and so forth. And your 500 pts can be used to buy at least 1 pack if not 2 with the free pts you earned in favor.

Oh, and the month you are VIP you can even create you own guild if you'd like. Although it's nice to join an established guild too. Just depends if you want to solo the game or join groups most of the time.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BOgre View Post
    Agreed, except for Threnal. Coyle is pure torture, yes, but the Mantle of the Worldshaper makes it worthwhile. I hate to recommend a pack on ONE piece of gear, but... well, you decide.
    The Mantle is a guaranteed drop however - A guest pass can get you that {just like Deleras and Voice}.

If I was to recommend ONE piece of loot from Threnal it would be the Longsword: Retribution {Holy, True Law, Pure Good}.

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread BUT I keep reading {on these forums and in in-game advice} mention of Visors of the Flesh Render Guards {Tangleroot End-Reward}.
    Just like Retribution {and UNLIKE Voice & Mantle} these are NOT guaranteed drops!

I personally like Tangleroot a lot {Selling Fragrant Drowshoods, Small & Med Eberron Shards and Silver Flame Hymnals picked up from one run thru Splinterskull can net over 100k plat with ease}.
    BUT I feel it's worth saying that I would NOT recommend Tangleroot on the Strength of ONE item of gear that isn't even guaranteed to drop!
    Just Like Threnal and Retribution!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    The Mantle is a guaranteed drop however - A guest pass can get you that {just like Deleras and Voice}.

If I was to recommend ONE piece of loot from Threnal it would be the Longsword: Retribution {Holy, True Law, Pure Good}.

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread BUT I keep reading {on these forums and in in-game advice} mention of Visors of the Flesh Render Guards {Tangleroot End-Reward}.
    Just like Retribution {and UNLIKE Voice & Mantle} these are NOT guaranteed drops!

I personally like Tangleroot a lot {Selling Fragrant Drowshoods, Small & Med Eberron Shards and Silver Flame Hymnals picked up from one run thru Splinterskull can net over 100k plat with ease}.
    BUT I feel it's worth saying that I would NOT recommend Tangleroot on the Strength of ONE item of gear that isn't even guaranteed to drop!
    Just Like Threnal and Retribution!
    very good points. I'm not a fan of tangleroot much, all that repetition, but I admit I do run it on every character for visor+favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12