Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Default Druids: Why no water/ice blades?

Sometimes I wonder if the two elemental forms are equal or if they are unbalanced.

Fire doesn't really have DOTs, except Firewall which doesn't stick to the creature, I guess this is where I should be happy that mobs are too stupid to simply avoid it. But there's the weapons buffs etc... So it seems mostly even.

The one thing I'd really like to see is a water form version of the flame blades. The flame blades are the only time ( I think) that a Wis modifier is used for melee, and
    Many things are flat out immune to fire.

And if we could get some GS darts too...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeton_Seraph View Post
    The one thing I'd really like to see is a water form version of the flame blades. The flame blades are the only time ( I think) that a Wis modifier is used for melee
    Yep i will also like to see Ice blades, Lighting Blades and Earth Blades same as air and earth elemental forms.
    About that wis modifier there is mace called Forgotten Light that have wis modifier for attack. It dropping in end chest of Rest Stop quest (adventure pack High Road of Shadows). This mace is really powerful shame that it will drag me uncentered if i use it

Burning blood is a fire dot. Level 4 arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by onivedlav View Post
    Burning blood is a fire dot. Level 4 arcane.

Too bad that Druids don't have that huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Fire doesn't really have DOTs, except Firewall which doesn't stick to the creature, I guess this is where I should be happy that mobs are too stupid to simply avoid it. But there's the weapons buffs etc... So it seems mostly even.
    Body of the Sun aka portable fire wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Grailhawk View Post
    Body of the Sun aka portable fire wall.
    Portable, as in where my PC goes, unlike (Greater) Creeping Cold which sticks to the mob and goes where it goes.

The cold DOTs are ranged and can be cast from outside the mob's physical close-in attack range, with less risk to self.

Body of Sun is great for trash mobs and maybe even bosses on lower difficulty settings. But in an Elite run, I have to stand back and cast/range attack.

Community Member butcheredspirit's Avatar

The one thing I'd really like to see is a water form version of the flame blades.
    I like the flame blade spell and use it often on my druid.
    I don't think Wizards of the Coast ever made an exact cold variant of flame blade.

However there is a cleric spell called ice axe, which seems to be the closest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zeechet86 View Post
    Yep i will also like to see Ice blades, Lighting Blades and Earth Blades same as air and earth elemental forms.
    About that wis modifier there is mace called Forgotten Light that have wis modifier for attack. It dropping in end chest of Rest Stop quest (adventure pack High Road of Shadows). This mace is really powerful shame that it will drag me uncentered if i use it
    Earthen club, Lightning Spear, and Ice Sickles, perhaps?

There are a lot of ways to make it fun and intriguing.

For the time being, lets note that Flame Blade is the only SRD elemental weapon, and has been a core spell for druids through all editions.

That's hardly to say we shouldn't push for DDO to get creative with the idea.

But then, we've been pushing for new divine spells [for Paladins, FvS, Clerics] for years, I'm sure we can add in Druids to the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    Earthen club, Lightning Spear, and Ice Sickles, perhaps?

There are a lot of ways to make it fun and intriguing.

For the time being, lets note that Flame Blade is the only SRD elemental weapon, and has been a core spell for druids through all editions.

That's hardly to say we shouldn't push for DDO to get creative with the idea.

But then, we've been pushing for new divine spells [for Paladins, FvS, Clerics] for years, I'm sure we can add in Druids to the list.
    Huh, I didn't know that I was asking for something that really didn't belong. However, there are too many times when the flame blades give absolutely no damage at all (and yet a firewall might for some reason).

Perhaps an enhancement that works similar to the artificer's insightful strikes or damage, but for Wisdom, would be a good idea.

While Druids have always been associated with the various elements of nature, Flame Blade has always been a stereotypical Druid spell.

Rangers were given a spell in 3.0 or 3.5 in one of the rulebooks (forget which one...Complete Adventurer perhaps?) that gave them a lightning proc buff on their weapons.

Would be cool to see Rangers get that buff (be it a spell, or an enhancement bonus), and Druids able to make Ice Blades as an alternative to the Flame Blade spell.

I remember in beta the Devs said there was originally supposed to be a form for each season in the same way there is a Sorc Savant for each element. There was some issues, so they combined them. Hopefully druids, along with all classes, get a nice new makeover with the enhancement pass.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock