Community Member

Default Meteor Swarm - forum or wiki correct?

Have never used Meteor Swarm on other toons, but I'm considering it for my fire savant. I was researching it on forums and wiki, and found an inconsistency regarding how you enhance it. According to wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/Meteor_Swarm), only higher of fire or force enhancement lines will apply (same for gear). According to forum posts this Fall (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=391670), people are claiming the bludgeon portion is only boosted by force, and fire only by fire, so you would actually need to take and equip two separate enhancement/item lines.

Anyone know *for sure* which version is correct currently?

(For what it's worth, the wiki page is suspect, since it has the following out-of-date information: "Items that increase force damage will not affect it, as it doesn't deal force damage, just the bludgeoning portion is also considered untyped." Impulse items do, of course, now amp untyped damage spells like blade barrier.)

Thanks in advance!

wiki is wrong.

Meteor Swarm fire portion is boosted by combustion; bludgeon is boosted by
    impulse. Both types crit. chance are boosted by superior fire lore. Kinetic
    lore (as with blade barrier) does not boost the crit. chance for MS.

I have nice Thaumaturgy stave for casting MS - 120 comb./120 imp. of superior fire
    lore

I'm pretty sure the whole spell is boosted by either crit line but I'm not able to hop in and test right now.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by knockcocker View Post
    wiki is wrong.

Meteor Swarm fire portion is boosted by combustion; bludgeon is boosted by
    impulse. Both types crit. chance are boosted by superior fire lore. Kinetic
    lore (as with blade barrier) does not boost the crit. chance for MS.

I have nice Thaumaturgy stave for casting MS - 120 comb./120 imp. of superior fire
    lore
    How's about some proof? You can't make statements like this and expect people to just take your word.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    How's about some proof? You can't make statements like this and expect people to just take your word.

Prove it yourself; I couldn't care less.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    I'm pretty sure the whole spell is boosted by either crit line but I'm not able to hop in and test right now.

Editing for clarification.

I agree that it certainly does appear that critical chance/damage is applied according to
    whichever of force/combustion enhancement line is highest. This is not true for the base damage
    which is definitely split across fire/force enhancements.

For items, base fire damage is boosted by combustion; base bludgeon damage (untyped) is boosted
    by impulse. Both types benefit from fire lore. Shade reported that both types are also boosted
    by laceration lore though I can't confirm this.

In summary, it appears that criticals are calculated on a pre-MotU basis whereas base damage is
    not - probably changed when conversion to spellpower occurred.
    Last edited by knockcocker; 02-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Community Member

Prove it yourself; I couldn't care less.
    If you don't care, why you keep stating it in every thread and even starting your own thread? YOU prove what you are claiming, AFAIK wiki is right.

As far as I remember the way it was SUPPOSED to work is to have at least one enhancement line, fire or force in case of MS, to boost the spell completely. Now if it works as it's supposed to I don't know for sure, and don't care to test it either, but I'm pretty happy using meteor swarm on my casters without using any fire enhancement or items.

Quote Originally Posted by Tid12 View Post
    If you don't care, why you keep stating it in every thread and even starting your own thread? YOU prove what you are claiming, AFAIK wiki is right.
    Someone asked a question, I answered. The OP didn't state that proof was required
    before posting. The fact that I've posted a thread about this back in September
    (which I assume is what you are referring to) should be an indication that I
    have looked into it. See:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...05#post4680705

Shade's post (#6) is accurate (i.e. it matches the results of the empirical
    testing that I did)

If you're so keen for proof, why don't you prove that the wiki is right?

Spells like this are the reason why it's not bad having a good potency item + some Arcane Lore I guess ...
    Thelanis - Ethforged - Etherar - Fjirty --- Mitis Mors
    Ghallanda - Ethrayne - Ethryne --- Omnipresence
    Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKVn...wLuzB2Q/videos

For enhancements, yes. For gear, no. Kinetic Lore does not affect untyped.
    I said either crit LINE. I said nothing about gear. It's a well known fact (and one I've stated numerous times) that kinetic crits only affect force spells.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForte View Post
    I said either crit LINE. I said nothing about gear. It's a well known fact (and one I've stated numerous times) that kinetic crits only affect force spells.
    Sorry, for me LINE is somewhat ambiguous. My post wasn't meant to be 'correcting'
    yours (though I appreciate it may have come across that way), it was intended to
    be supplemental. I've edited my prior post to be less contradictory as it was not
    intended to be so.
    Last edited by knockcocker; 02-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.

Have never used Meteor Swarm on other toons, but I'm considering it for my fire savant.
    Just as an FYI, since Meteor Swarm has no level-based component, being a Fire Savant will not notably benefit this spell.

You'll get your fire spellpower boosts of course, but the basic power of the spell is exactly the same for a fire or water savant.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

The Bludgeon (untyped) dmg from meteor swarm can be crit with "Arcane lore".

Just like Disintegrate's untyped is crit with only "Arcane lore".

But out your twilight + Rakir's set.

It's kinda funny people blindly trust the wiki entry, and not the linked post.

Especially considering I wrote both that wiki entry, and posted in the linked thread stating its now inaccurate.

So yea technically the wiki entry isn't so much incorrect, as it is outdated.

Being I was the only editor that maintained the spell pages and stopped editing, yea a lot of them contain outdated information.

Keep in mind anyone can edit tho, so do so if you want. I just don't have time or desire to do so anymore.

edit: looks like cru121 just updated it, musta say this post.. So all good now.

Community Member

Thanks all for your input, and if this inspired someone to update the wiki, more's the better.

For the record, my only reason for considering MS was the possibility that it was entirely enhanced by the fire augment and crit lines I had anyway. Doesn't seem worth it if I have to invest in yet another line (I'm trying acid as my secondary this life) and fart around with gear swapping.

Cheers